For the last few years I've been going for the dry heal. I leave the bandage on over night. In the morning I wash it very carefully with soap and rinse off in water as hot as I can take it. I carefully pat it dry and then I leave it alone. I guess we all heal a little differently, but I've had success with this method. I tend to heal quickly and without crazy scabbing.

• 1 month later...
For the last few years I've been going for the dry heal. I leave the bandage on over night. In the morning I wash it very carefully with soap and rinse off in water as hot as I can take it. I carefully pat it dry and then I leave it alone. I guess we all heal a little differently, but I've had success with this method. I tend to heal quickly and without crazy scabbing.

I do the same except I apply a small amount of Aveeno once a day after the first day of healing. It's the only method Ive ever used, but it has work well so far.

I would love to dry heal. And I usually do this and let it air out with nothing on it the first day, but then I find it starts to crack and get extra dry (and I get scared!!! lol) so I put aquaphor on once a day in the morning after showering. Then lotion very sparingly for comfort--IF it gets itchy once it starts peeling..

I dry heal for the first week, misting it occasionally with antiseptic wound spray to stop it getting so dry it cracks.Then once the flakeiness has no danger of gooping up after a week or so I use ointments. I use tattoo tonic by missy lepink. A small British brand. The ointment is 100% natural stuff and smells nice too

So finally after waiting for a couple months i got to try out the super hot towel trick on my most recent tattoo. I have got to say that now that I have tried this i will never not do it again. I did this for about a week and after the first day of doing it i noticed my fresh tattoo was extremely soft, felt great, and stopped any swelling or redness. By the third or fourth day all of the skin that needs to come off had come off, which usually takes a day or two longer without using the hot towel. After the skin had come off the day after i was pretty much healed up and ready to start my lotion phase.

we use derma skin post tattoo to send the clients out with and we recommend h2ocean products - i personally am a fan of using spectrogel for sensitive skin to cleanse it with and moisturizing with scent free curel- but im stuck in my ways and allergic to tonnness of things so a bit wary of trying things that are new...

once healed i like vitamin 3 cream

• 3 weeks later...

My recent pair of tattoos are the first ones I've been able to heal without having to keep them covered for the first week or so because of clothing complications (ribcage - bra strap, and hip - underwear/waistband). That alone has made this a better healing experience, haha.

I kept the bandages on overnight, and since then have washed and lotioned up twice a day (Aquaphor a couple of times, Aveeno mostly). Mine never swell, get red, or feel too sore, but they flake like mad and itch fairly badly.

I'm at the itchy part now. :(

This post brought to you by the need to do something else with my hands other than be tempted to scratch.

Like a lot of people I've gone for the keep it clean 2x a day for the first few days (dial soap or something from a pump) covered with Aquaphor and then switched to Aveeno green top lotion. Nothing too special - but it has worked without any issues.

I will say that the only time I've had trouble healing was when I didn't keep the area clean. I wore the same shirt for a few days and my chest tattoo got a bit red and irritated - a small section that had more damage to the skin than the rest. Once I kept the tattoo clean and covered with a clean bandage it healed up pretty quick over the next few days.

Hey everyone! I'll get my first tattoo this friday. It'll be on my back and the size of about a fist to give you an idea.. Anyway, I've been reading about post tattoo care and I'm trying to catch up on these pages but there are so many different things you recommend..

One thing I've read in many places is that I should take a warm shower right after I get the tattoo and then put ice on it for about 15 minutes. Anyone recommends this or can explain the why's of this technique?

Sorry for my english by the way! I just woke up hehe. Thanks!

Hey everyone! I'll get my first tattoo this friday. It'll be on my back and the size of about a fist to give you an idea.. Anyway, I've been reading about post tattoo care and I'm trying to catch up on these pages but there are so many different things you recommend..

One thing I've read in many places is that I should take a warm shower right after I get the tattoo and then put ice on it for about 15 minutes. Anyone recommends this or can explain the why's of this technique?

Sorry for my english by the way! I just woke up hehe. Thanks!

Your artist will give you instructions on how to take care of your tattoo and you should follow those.

tattoo aftercare advice varies as much as opinions on tattoos do,everyone I talk to has a different opinion,IMO bottom line is find what works for you and do that,all our bodies are different and react & heal differently,

it also seems that I can ask the same people again and the advice constantly changes.

it's really easy IMO,keep it clean,don't submerge it in water,keep it out of the sun,and lightly moisturize it,treat it like most other injuries to the skin.

Hey guys,

I got my sleeve outline done 16 days ago and everything seemed to be healing up just fine this is my second tattoo and i followed the cleaning / and vitamin A/D after care techniques i read on this site, that i did on my first rib tat. My rib tat healed up perfectly. My sleeve was healing fine until about 2 days ago when the lower half where my bicep is started to have tiny red bumps on the outline, the upper shoulder area is fine its just the lower part of the tattoo, both areas were treated with the same aftercare technique. Could this be an infection / reaction to the ink / or just be my skin sensitivity to the location of the outline since the upper shoulder area is perfectly fine. Ill try to attach some pics of what im talking about. Thanks Guys!

http://i.imgur.com/XXyNlay.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/RTxUTlc.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/XXyNlay.jpg

Usually remove bandage after 2 hours. Clean very well and let it air dry for an hour or so.. Then i re-bandage it with aquaphor. Used to repeat this for 24 hours.. But now i do it for 12 hours ( changing it about 3 times within) . After that I clean it very well and air dry for and leave it for a day.. then I add plain lotion(luberderm)..