• 1 month later...

I used organic, eucalyptus soap from Nature's Emporium to wash and calendula cream to moisturize. My tattoo healed beautifully.

Calendula is a perennial flower known for it's anti-inflammatory, anti-viral and healing properties. I don't have a specific product to share because my cream came from a family friend's basement (a retired pharmacist now herbalist), but I'm sure it can be found in creams elsewhere.

• 1 month later...
I'm picturing tattooed people going to pharmacies, swiping a bunch of prep H tubes into a basket and checking out at the register while receiving some odd stares... Excellent.

For my first tattoo (a little thing) I was told to use A&D, so I went to the drug store and bought just that one item. I didn't say a thing, but the guy at the register looked at me and said, "Just got a tattoo? I love the smell of that stuff - makes me want to get more!" LOL!

- - - Updated - - -

I haven't seen it mentioned, so I'll ask. My artist has me using Redemption Tattoo Aftercare - a very thin later after washing 2-3x/day. Anyone familiar with this product? It seems to be working well for me and I don't plan to change anything, just wondered if anyone else had experience with it.

This is the ingredient list. It includes some of the stuff I've seen mentioned here like Calendula and Arnica.

Organic Castor Oil, Organic Sunflower Oil, Organic Beeswax, Organic Cocoa Butter, Organic Coconut Oil, Organic Vegetable Glycerin, Organic Arrowroot Powder, Organic Calendula Oil, Organic Arnica, Organic Chamomile Extract, Organic Rosemary Extract, Mixed Tocopherols

To answer the last few posts, look through the thread, and you'll find that a lot of people don't trust all the tattoo-specific aftercare products. There are plenty of products that have been created for skincare that work really really well and have been used for ages, including scent-free lotion and Bepanthen, which are the only two that I would really use.

To answer the last few posts, look through the thread, and you'll find that a lot of people don't trust all the tattoo-specific aftercare products. There are plenty of products that have been created for skincare that work really really well and have been used for ages, including scent-free lotion and Bepanthen, which are the only two that I would really use.

I already read the thread before I posted. I saw what people said. I searched for that particular product BEFORE I POSTED and found no one had ever said anything about it.

That is why I asked the question.

If no one has experience with that product, that's fine. But there's no need to sound like I was too lazy to read the thread.

I'm not changing my aftercare because something has worked for other people for ages. As everyone around here is fond of saying, listen to your artist regarding aftercare.

My bad. I should have said, "Read the forum." But, yes, you are right. No need to follow tradition in tattoo culture.

It's good that you're doing your own research. I was simply making a suggestion which I have made plenty of times before. Also, this advice isn't coming directly from me. It comes from tattooers.

I spent some money on some "tattoo lotion" once and wasn't sufficiently impressed enough. Especially when 4oz of the stuff cost the same as 16oz of my regular unscented lotion. I do buy the Provon soap to wash with instead of Dial though. I don't know if it makes any difference in the long run but it seems to be less harsh on my skin. Been using it for my piercings for a while too.

My bad. I should have said, "Read the forum." But, yes, you are right. No need to follow tradition in tattoo culture.

It's good that you're doing your own research. I was simply making a suggestion which I have made plenty of times before. Also, this advice isn't coming directly from me. It comes from tattooers.

Thanks for the reply. Sorry - I was a little testy from something else.

I'm no expert, but I would be wary of the beeswax and the rosemary extract. I'm sort of a skincare nerd, so I try to avoid anything with fragrant plant oils in my daily, non-tattoo skincare because of the potential for irritation. Non-fragrant oils like avocado, borage and jojoba (which is close in composition to the oil your skin naturally produces) should be fine in a post-tattoo lotion. I definitely wouldn't put oil on an open wound, but I found jojoba oil mixed with a bit of lotion helpful during the itchy, onionskin phase between peels.

I have no experience with coconut oil for healing, but it's excellent at getting rid of those little bumps people sometimes get on their arms pre-getting tattooed.

Back in the 90's "Tattoo Goo" was the new magic foo-foo lotion everyone was hawking at the conventions. 20 years later, it's still out there (at WalMart of all places) so I suppose it isn't a bad thing. Last year a new-to-me artist all but demanded that I use Aquaphor because "petroleum based lotions aren't good." Okay, I bought a jar. And I read the label. Aquaphor is 40% petrolatum. Then I read the label on a jar of Vasoline. 100% petrolatum.

P.T. Barnum was no fool ...

Back in the 90's "Tattoo Goo" was the new magic foo-foo lotion everyone was hawking at the conventions. 20 years later' date=' it's still out there (at WalMart of all places) so I suppose it isn't a bad thing. Last year a new-to-me artist all but demanded that I use Aquaphor because "petroleum based lotions aren't good." Okay, I bought a jar. And I read the label. Aquaphor is 40% petrolatum. Then I read the label on a jar of Vasoline. 100% petrolatum. P.T. Barnum was no fool ...[/quote']

I've used Aquafor for all but one of mine and the all healed(completely) in roughly 3 weeks, I used tattoo goo's healing lotion on my anchor and it noticeably not as bright as the other tattoos(same artist for all). Tattoo goo is not for me. Aquafor and gold dial soap.

Rando bumps: Keratosis pilaris.

I only know this because there is a body scrub I use that is designed to treat it, and it is AMAZING. I don't actually have KP, but my mom apparently does, and she swears by the stuff. It involves a scrub component and a light peel treatment, and it makes my skin so freakin' smooth. It is expensive (fittybux), but I've had my tub for about two years and it works better than anything else I've ever tried.

Just thought I'd toss that out there!

Oh, me too. At least you're not watching makeup tutorials yet.

<nerd>That scrub is amazing but the lotion that goes with it doesn't seem to do much besides moisturize well. I still haven't found the *perfect* lotion for KP (most are alpha hydroxy acid lotions - it's hard to find a good beta hydroxy lotion at the right PH), but the coconut body butter from Trader Joe's is good if you're OK with smelling like a pina colada.</nerd>

Or you can just blast over the KP and then ignore it forever :)