Tattoo Nation

Reyeslv

This is interesting. The preview is inferring that all modern tattooing is a derivative of the chicano, Jack Rudy, single needle style. Which is interesting. I only imagine this movie will create even more of a "boom" in that style. Obviously, they are waxing over the influence of traditional styles (American, Japanese, Polynesian), but I'll probably still give it a watch to see Freddy Negrete and Mr. Cartoon shoot the shit and learn a little more tattoo history.

This is interesting. The preview is inferring that all modern tattooing is a derivative of the chicano, Jack Rudy, single needle style. Which is interesting. I only imagine this movie will create even more of a "boom" in that style...

I think they're referring more to the rise of fine line realism in tattooing vs. hard outline traditional. I like my black and gray somewhere in the middle.

I think what this documentary is going to focus on is 'black and grey' tattooing and where it started. We have a lot of great stuff out there to watch about modern tattooing such as Tattoo Age and Gypsy Gentleman. We also have great documentaries to watch on our previous generation like the Ed Hardy and Sailor Jerry flicks, so I think it'll be nice to have a movie that helps define the birth of the fine-line black and grey style that is such a large part of our industry now. I think we'll find out that guys like Ed Hardy, Owen Jensen and Lee Roy Minugh aren't that far apart from guys like Charlie Cartwright, Freddy Negrete and Jack Rudy. I am personally really excited for this, but I guess my emotion is based on biased feelings towards my local childhood heros. Either way, I can't wait to see it.