Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Horitomo designs for the Yakuza game series

1 post in this topic

Found a short article about Horitomo's involvement in designing the tattoos for the characters in the Yakuza video game series. Has anyone played any of these games?

Horitomo-san began tattooing in 1992, although at the time he was not versed in the art of traditional Japanese tattooing. Instead, he focused his studies on the western style of tattoo artistry at a street tattoo studio. At that time studios which advertised their services openly on the streets of Japan were a real rarity.

Following his initial studies, Horitomo-san went on to work at various tattoo studios based in Tokyo and Osaka. In the meantime, he was also actively taking part in various tattoo conventions, including shows in Amsterdam and Spain. In 2001, he finally began to learn traditional Japanese tattooing from a master of the style.

Four years later, Kikuchi-san (producer of the Yakuza series), saw some of Horitomo-san’s work in a magazine which featured several of the best traditional Japanese tattoo artists of the time. He was impressed by what he saw and decided to get in touch with Horitomo-san at his workplace in Yokohama and ask him to be a part of the team for the first Yakuza game. He has continued his relationship with the team ever since that time.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

• Recent Posts

• @Amanda Don't feel bad! Most people will need a touch up on their feet, it's hard skin to deal with and having to wear shoes or socks makes it more complicated. I have a foot tattoo I've had for like 8 years now and it needs a touch up but I haven't gotten around to it. Worst case scenario, parts of it will have to be redone, no big deal.

That doesn't sound like the worst aftercare, maybe a little antiquated. I think the most "progressive" recommended aftercare methods are to either wrap it in Tegaderm/Saniderm/etc (it's like breathable saran wrap) or to heal completely dry or mostly dry (little to no ointments or lotion, only a tiny little bit when it gets unbearably itchy just to keep yourself comfortable). In the future, your aftercare doesn't have to be so extensive, your body can take care of itself and sometimes doing too much can cause a whole new set of problems. It's been so liberating since I started doing more dry healing!
    • First step is to let it heal completely allowing it to peel fully and for the scabs to fall off. That will take at least two weeks. Once that occurs, I'd consult with your artist to assess your options. Some people's bodies just don't take certain colors well - my last tattoo had to be touched up for both blue and red. It seems that yours had light saturation and muted colors to begin with so that might combine with absorption to be part of the issue. In any case, don't sweat it now - let it get to the point where your artists can make a good assessment. 
    • Hi Synesthesia.  Thanks for the response. The tattoo was covered for 24 hours then I showered and gently rinsed it off.  No lotion until day 3.  I've been showering with my foot on the ledge to avoid getting it wet and putting lotion on 3 times per day.  I've been in flip flops 90% of the time (my feet are FREEZING from avoiding socks in the house LOL) and when I need to wear sneakers (to teach) I wear cotton socks and keep my shoe loose so it wouldn't rub which it hasn't. I've worn sneakers for a total of 3 times for a total of an hour here and there only.   It isn't super itchy at all, and I'm definitely not picking the scabs... I'm super embarrassed how it looks at this point and very worried on the outcome. :(
  • Last Sparrow Tattoo Sponsors

• Instagram #LastSparrow

• Recent Topics