Publicists?

Here's a card from my file, from like 1978...check out the slogan on it.

CTCCard.jpg

this says it all. i think it's cool for OV that it's become a popular blog, which it should be. however, if you're treating this business as if you're some kinda of entertainer, you're just an asshole. now, i could be all wrong, but that how this all looks.

My worry about publicists and tattooers is pretty much this:

Is the guy trying to make some money, or is he trying to get famous?

If he's trying to make some money... god bless him. It's a competitive world and everyone needs to make some coin. If having a publicist is about trying to be the next celebrity tattooer.... Stop it.

I don't know the dude. He puts on a clean tattoo and could be a damn nice guy who just wants to put on MORE clean tattoos and is using social networking to get to that end. I don't know the publicist. Maybe she's a really rad chick who just wants her friend to be exposed to more people. In the end- thats part of why I feature tattooers I like on OV.

I want you to get a Michael Bennett tattoo. I want you to get a Robert Ryan tattoo. Sure there's no financial gain in it for me*, but I like to see the kind of tattoos I get get done. If that makes sense. It makes me happy when I hear "I went to Dave Bruehl because you recommended him" because I love David, and I like that someone got a really rad tattoo instead of something crappy.

Maybe I'm reading too much into it. Maybe I'm not reading enough into it.

[

Edited by ShawnPorter
double whammy

I think one of the beautiful things about tattooing is that you basically are this jack of many trades, as in you have to be a pretty well rounded individual.. You can build your own machines and needles, make ink, make the flash for the tattoo, then make that into a tattoo, make the customer enjoy the experience, and then make your station ready for the next one.. There's a lot of different types of character building and sense of self in that whole deal, and when you start bringing other people into it to take care of the parts you're not so good at, it dilutes it. That's probably why a lot of the older guys get upset when younger tattooers don't even know how to make their own needles and inks, because to them it seems as if you're less pure of a tattooer.

@sbrookins, too true and the last thing this industry needs to do is give up ownership of some of the fundamental elements...like the building and maintaining of a client base, building a reputation and controlling what we do and how we're perceived. If you sell off pieces of this thing to the entertainment industry and outside interests you don't get to cry foul when they abuse it. Sadly people that have the opportunity to do so are selling everybody's shares since, for better or worse, we're all in this together to a great extent.

And yeah, all that aside what the hell Facebook generation is this that people just shoot out emails saying their guy should be on your site? Even if publicists had a place in our industry, that's a piss-poor example of one.

@Avery Taylor - haha it's all good my friend ;) and I do completely understand! I've had to deal with a few American Agents (and I'm sure will have to again) and yeah... you hit the nail on the head. These guys where/are from rather large agencies and there was a reason they got to where they are - they where damn good at their jobs... but also complete douche bags. Not the way I would go about it, but that's probably why I'm not worth more haha. BUT I can look myself in the mirror and believe in the projects I work on.

I also understand a bit of backlash for not being personal (if anyone ends up working with me on anything, you'll see what happens haha) and more so, for this particular instance. Tattooing isn't entertainment ( @Abellve - that was such a great call)

• 2 weeks later...

I've been part of a lot of blogs/websites over the years and t-shirts (which cost money in the long run- rarely make a profit) aside they're 100% non-monetized. I admit that I'll take books/dvds/etc for review, but they'll get an HONEST review.

And if people think that's worth chipping a few bucks into my travel fund, who am I to not give them a convenient link?

I've been part of a lot of blogs/websites over the years and t-shirts (which cost money in the long run- rarely make a profit) aside they're 100% non-monetized. I admit that I'll take books/dvds/etc for review, but they'll get an HONEST review.

And if people think that's worth chipping a few bucks into my travel fund, who am I to not give them a convenient link?

I think that it is a pretty reasonable request. I am in the process of explaining to my wife why I want to send a few bucks to a guy I have never met for his birthday. You will know who wears the pants in my family when you receive a gift card with my name on it or when you do not receive a gift card with my name on it. Right now its not looking to good for you, but we just sat down to have a couple of drinks so your chances should get better.

Wish me luck, and Happy Birthday.

Haha.

I appreciate the thought none the less.

I finally started getting people messaging me asking about "ad space" and when I see the blogs I read with banners all over them (Needles and Sins, Tattoo Snob, et all) I'll admit that there's a second of pause where you start thinking about the time you put into it, and why SHOULDN'T you make a little cash?

Then I see the blogs I read with banners all over them for products that there is NO way they endorse and you think... fuck that.

Haha.

I appreciate the thought none the less.

I finally started getting people messaging me asking about "ad space" and when I see the blogs I read with banners all over them (Needles and Sins, Tattoo Snob, et all) I'll admit that there's a second of pause where you start thinking about the time you put into it, and why SHOULDN'T you make a little cash?

Then I see the blogs I read with banners all over them for products that there is NO way they endorse and you think... fuck that.

I don't think that I can buy a SOUTHWEST gift card from Canada. It only gives me options for a US address when I put in my credit card information. I will try again later when I have more time.

I think that it is a pretty reasonable request. I am in the process of explaining to my wife why I want to send a few bucks to a guy I have never met for his birthday. You will know who wears the pants in my family when you receive a gift card with my name on it or when you do not receive a gift card with my name on it. Right now its not looking to good for you, but we just sat down to have a couple of drinks so your chances should get better.

Wish me luck, and Happy Birthday.

This had my gut piece in hysterics! Especially, Right now its not looking to good for you, but we just sat down to have a couple of drinks so your chances should get better. Let us know how you go Avery as I have a feeling the same issues may apply to me - the being in a different country thing, not your wife :p

If you care about giving your clients a great experience, and are able provide them with a clean tattoo that makes them happy... Then you don't need a fucking publicist! The thing is, is that nothing happens overnight. If you keep your nose to the grindstone, treat people right, and truly care about striving to become the best Tattooer you can become; it actually does payoff eventually. Nobody wants to think about working their ass off for ten plus years in the same location to earn a loyal following, and the respect of other tattooers. It hurts my soul when I see wannabes out there with barely three years under their belt wondering why they aren't famous yet, when they should be worrying about applying cleaner lines, and getting consistent heals. Forget about anyone giving a shit about how they interact with their clients. (Haha, how old do I sound) anyway, sorry about the rant I'm actually really happy to be making a living doing what I love. I still sorta feel like I pulled a fast one on society. It's probably a good thing that all these assholes are looking for short cuts because it makes the ones paying dues look so much more respectable. So yeah, nevermind... Tattooing is easy. Just hire a publicist, don't draw, and be sure to let everyone know how awesome you are.