And Something Else to Worry About!

Dan S

Tattoos Derail Some Immigrants' Green Cards - WSJ.com

Hector Villalobos, who is seeking a green card, was asked by a U.S. official whether some of his tattoos are linked to gangs, his lawyers said.

In December, Hector Villalobos traveled from Colorado to his native Mexico for an interview, part of his application for U.S. permanent residency. Mr. Villalobos expected to be gone a couple of months to complete the process.

Seven months later, U.S. consular officers haven't allowed the 37-year-old handyman to return home to his wife and three children. The problem: tattoos—some associated with violent Mexican gangs—on Mr. Villalobos's body.

(cont'd)

Made me wonder if it wouldn't have been easier for him to say that yes, obviously they are gang tattoos, I had them done when I was 14, but now I am a family man and so forth. I have no clue though, might have had the same outcome, I.e the bureaucrat checks the box that says "has gang tattoos" and denies his green card.

I'm far from an expert but there seem to be some pretty distinct "gang" tattoos on the guy. 13, "laugh now cry later", Mi vida loca to name some. I could see if they were far from but meh maybe they got some substance. Just playing devil's advocate here.

Abslolutely true. Never seen anyone with that type of work that wasn't hooked-up some kinda way...and it wasn't just a "13", it's a "Barrio 13" piece. Also has what looks to be Nuestra Familia stuff on his right arm, and "Killas" on his left.

You play, you pay. I covered a lot of old stuff to keep jobs.

Abslolutely true. Never seen anyone with that type of work that wasn't hooked-up some kinda way...and it wasn't just a "13", it's a "Barrio 13" piece. Also has what looks to be Nuestra Familia stuff on his right arm, and "Killas" on his left.

You play, you pay. I covered a lot of old stuff to keep jobs.

I can see getting something by accident but he does seem to have a bit too much to be accidental, plus if he wasn't at least somewhat connected wouldn't the people who were make him aware of his error?

I can see the cover up for job's sake. Wounder why didn't this guy take the same route?

I'm guessing he didn't take that route because when you're still in the mix, that's seen as a pretty major diss. And yeah, if he wasn't about sumpin, someone would pull his coat.

Course, I'm only going on what little I know about the scene in Chi, rumors and such, ya understand!

And the guard tower on his left shoulder. Barrio 13 is counter to NF though (blue vs. red)- Norteños use 14's in their tattoos, but I can see what your getting at with the sombreros.

You play, you pay.

Exactly. It's like these wannabe gang-bangers that run around with do rags, backwards hats, gold teeth, pants down below their asses with their underwear hanging out and then cry when someone crosses the street to avoid them.

Duh! You want to look like a gansta wannabe, don't expect to get treated like Mr. Rogers.

And the guard tower on his left shoulder. Barrio 13 is counter to NF though (blue vs. red)- Norteños use 14's in their tattoos, but I can see what your getting at with the sombreros.

Thanks, Carnal, like I said, I'm not real up on West Coast stuff, but thought the sombreros y senoritas were NF type. We see em up here sometimes, they can't decide whether to get all busted left or right!

three dots + "mi Vida Loca" + Smile now cry later masks, twice + "13" + "South Side"x2 + the dice + the eight ball+killers = 10 tattoos for the southside Sureno Gang sets . A little more than coincidence. the W on his back is puzzling to me, some of the young cats down for MM tattoo Ws instead of M to throw off recognition from LE. Also gainfull employement isnt what it used to be, alot of guys will work construction or other manual labor jobs then wild out for neighborhood.

disclaimer - watched 20 straight episodes of gangland since Dan posted this, only way I have any info on topic

He's either one of the worst liars ever, or the dumbest motherfucker around.

If you're down, you know what's up. If you're not down, you're suicidal to get all this stuff. What is it? Pure luck? "I love the number 13, and, BTW, all these other affiliated items"? If you used to be down and are now retired, you can say that too.