How do you react to stares??????

Natveggie45

I'm a pastor, so my tattoos get stares quite often. I'm a talker and my profession also demands that I be one, so typically when I see the stares I say hello and hope that a little dialog ensues. If the outcome is that their outlook on life broadens a bit; great. If they get super offended; I say a prayer that God show them the error in their judgmental ways and that they come to the realization that my tattoos are awesome.

Where are your tattoos exactly, are they easily visible? Also, do you ever get negative comments about them because of your job as a pastor?

Many of them are very visible. For one, I have a huge Jesus Fish on my right inner forearm, stretching from my wrist to the ditch of my elbow. And I have the outline completed for a full sleeve on my left arm. I very rarely wear long sleeve shirts. I have a very large koi on my leg, strething from ankle to knee; and i wear shorts a lot so that one is pretty visible too.

I get a little bit of negativity but honestly, the negative stuff can't hold a candle to the positive feedback I get.

Just because someone says they're a Christian doesn't make them one. I can say that I'm the quarterback of the Green Bay Packers, but that doesn't mean I am.

If someone is a judgmental self-righteous asshole, it doesn't matter what they call themselves; what they really are is a judgmental self-righteous asshole.

Sadly I find more "Christians" acting unlike Christ than like him.

Dude that's a pastor, can you shed some light on tattoos being a sin? I don't know if this is true. I'm not trying to be a jerk by any means, just curious. Also, I think it's awesome you've got tattoos.

What denomination are you? How long have you been a pastor, and at what point did you get tattoos?

Sorry for all the questions.

@Our Endless Days - No problem, I like answering questions. The idea of tattoos being sinful really comes back to Leviticus 19:28, which says, "Do not cut your bodies for the dead or put tattoo marks on yourselves." Leviticus is the third book in the Bible; it's really old. It was put together beginning at the time that Moses led the Israelites out of Egypt and into the promised land. There was period of 40 years between when the left Egypt and when they entered into the promised land. They were basically nomads during that time, travelling into many different lands, and associating with many different peoples.

At that point in time, God had "set apart" Israel as the chosen people who would eventually share God's blessing with the whole world. Being "set apart" meant that, at that time, God didn't want them losing their identity by taking on the customs of the many other tribes they came across. Some of these tribes tattooed themselves. Incidentally, the stuff you hear today about homosexuality being sinful comes from this portion of the Bible too. Homosexuality was a practice of some of the tribes, as well. There are hundreds of laws like this in Leviticus. Planting a field with more than one crop in it is an abomination, punishable by death. So is wearing clothing that is composed of more than one textile (cotton-polyester). So is eating shellfish. So is divorce. These laws were put in place in a specific time and context to make sure the Israelites were able to maintain a national identity, until the time came that God's blessing was to be shared with the whole world. Jesus' purpose was to make that happen. So the time for those laws had past. They're not valid anymore. And for most of those laws, the "conservative" Christians would agree with. They don't think you should be stoned for divorcing, or for planting multiple crops, or for wearing cotton-poly T-shirts. Yet for some reason, they think the one about tattoos and homosexuality is still valid. It isn't. What you see is a case of people using scripture as a way to reinforce what they already believe, when what they should be doing is using scripture to shape what they do and believe.

I tried to be concise, but am happy to clarify or say more.

P.S. - I am a Lutheran pastor, and have been for just over two years. I got my first tattoo when I was 16. I completed my 4-year college degree in 2006, and 4-year seminary study in 2010.

@Jake Anderson that's probably one of the most sensible replies about the issue I've ever read. Though I'm not religious myself, it's always good to see people who can practice theirs in a moderate, not-completely-batshit-crazy way. Keep up the good work.

It's all about context. Jesus' message about love your neighbor is as relevant today as it was 2,000 years ago. With refrigeration, abstaining from shell fish is not so relevant. With overpopulation, go forth and multiply - not so relevant. Tattoos - with the Jews mixing with the gentiles - not so relevant. Ban on homosexuality - never was relevant :-)

• 2 weeks later...
I had some blood drawn for my cholesterol test a few weeks ago (hours before driving down for a tattoo session, as a matter of fact), and joked with the technician that I obviously had no problem with needles. She told me that a lot of the tattooed people she sees are terrified of needles.

I guess it's a different type of feeling between getting tattooed and getting a needle actually in a vein, but still...neither bother me, but I've been getting blood tests fairly regularly since I was a baby, so...

Im in the Dr's office right now knowing I'm gonna get cortisone injections in both hip joints and I'm quaking in my Vans right now. I hate getting shots. :(

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner

Thought I would throw out a fun little encounter from yesterday. I was heading out to pick up a new Rx at CVS. Since I just left the doctors I was in gym shorts and a T-shirt. The lady filling out the prescription was staring at my leg that just got tattooed. Mind you it only shows about 2-3 inches out my shorts. I looked back at her until she noticed me looking back and got a bit embarrassed. She then said "Oh is that new?". Probably not help the situation, I just got a shitton of blood drawn, was fasting then got given a Xanax, I decided to do the following. I pulled my short leg up to my waist to show her my new tattoo and laughed. Looking back I pretty much showed my ass to half the staff at CVS! I did get a "O' shit that is wayyy bigger than I thought" comment and a "that looks crazy!". This again followed up by the obligatory showing of a small star tattoo she had and a quick synopsis of her future tattoos in the works. Sometimes people are just interested, and it is not staring in a bad way. I actually found most people who stare are just intrigued by us tattooed folk, especially if you got some cool tattoos!

• 3 weeks later...

You learn to accept the fact that no matter where you, people from now until you die, will look down on you for beeing tattooed. Learn to appreciate it, because not all stares are bad, and most definitely not all stares are good. Some may be in shock, disbelief, but some may also be in awe, and appreciative.

I've only had one very negative reaction where a man took time out his day to tell me I "was ruined! Tattoos are for sailors and prostitutes!" . He was so angry. I thanked him for his "insight", several other customers told him to shut it.

I yearn for such a reaction, really. Would laugh my ass off, shake that guy's hand and say to him how much better the world would be if he was right. At least I wouldn't have to say for the billionth time that my tattoos don't really have a meaning per se, for I didn't get tattooed at miami ink.

When I catch people staring at my hand tattoos on the train I'll slowly move my hand towards my crotch and then pretend like I caught them staring at my dick and give them a disgusted look. That or just lock eyes and don't break for a solid 3 count, it freaks the shit out of people, actually had someone switch train cars after that once.

I'm getting more stares now that its getting warmer here and I'm wearing tank tops. I've even overheard people discussing my tattoos with each other. It's strange for me as 1.5 years ago I had no tattoos and now I've got 4 large ones. Still getting used to the extra attention I guess.