How do you react to stares??????

Natveggie45

I had my first really open antagonistic stare this week while in Quebec City. I sat down for breakfast and was reading the paper when two unpleasant people made a show of staring at my arms, sneering and then giggling derisively at me. It was weird and I feel sorry for them that they have so little going on in their lives that they tried to make me feel badly about my tattoos. Its fortunate that I do not give a damn what they think of my tattoos, or me, for that matter. I thought about it for a minute, grabbed a second coffee, and relaxed and enjoyed the paper before having a lovely day exploring the walled city with my wife on our anniversary. I've had others stare and clearly not like what they see, but never quite like this. What sad people. I was embarrassed for them. Solution? Get more tattoos.

By the way, this was not representative of the people I met in QC. Apart from them, everyone else was friendly and accomodating and I'd go back in a heartbeat.

Yup, unfortunately there are douchebags in every crowd. But you totally did the right thing, screw 'em if they can't take a joke.

Recently @Mark Bee and I were sitting outside a tattoo shop (surprise!) waiting for it to open for M to get a walk in. Dude walked up, chatted about Mark's tattoos, showed his own and then proceeded to touch the tattoo on my arm and ask me about it. He never came near M but felt totally justified touching me... irritating.

Went to the beach this weekend and finally got the opportunity to unveil Kongo Yasha Myo. As I was lying there reading my book, no one touched me. As I walked down the beach with my wife, no one asked me questions. Playing in the waves, no one stared at me. What am I doing wrong? Give me attention!!!!!!

It's funny how sensitive people are with touching. One of the girls at the shop has a sweet forearm snake, or maybe it was a tiger.. this was last year sometime and the details are hazy, so she held out her arm to me and I touched her forearm to sort of rotate it so I could read it all at my own pace. After I realized what I did I recoiled in disgust with myself and apologized. She didn't seem to care, but I can't tell for sure. Now I think she secretly hates me and may have already posted in this thread about me.

• 1 month later...
Well, first, let me introduce myself. I am a 45 year old teacher who always dreamed about getting tattoos. Finally realized my dream, with a tattoo of a heart surrounded by a vine and leaves, all the way to my hand. I love it; very feminine yet expresses my vegan believes. Well... People are rude! Staring, frowning... And mainly women! Positives from men ( hubby not happy lol)... But how do you react to people ? Would it be because i am older??? One lady told me at the store i should not do this to the temple God gave me... What the hell is that about???

I am 53 if it makes you feel any better. Got my first one at 40...working on finishing my full sleeve and 7 other various pieces elsewhere. I have gotten a ton of looks....but more compliments than anyone being rude. I have a rather large memorial poem on my upper arm that everyone stops and wants to read. Being 53 I learned a LONG time ago...MY life, MY way. The people staring and being rude are the ones with problems...probably jealous as they do not have the nerve to get one. Let them stare and smile right back at them!

• 3 weeks later...

I get stares all the times especially 10 years ago before tattoos were popular like they are now...

I live in the South and I run into a lot of judgmental pricks living in the Bible Belt and all...

I usually ignore them and most of the time, I get a lot of people who are curious and interested in my pieces so I show them.

Occasionally, I'll get someone touching me trying to hold my arm to get a better look...It's usually a female so that doesn't bother me. Haven't had any random guys do that so guess I'm lucky on that...

I usually just ignore it if it is negative, and try to be polite if it is positive. I am 48 and a heavily tattooed woman and I am still surprised sometimes by peoples reactions to me. Tattoos are psychic armor. My favorite is when people ask "what are you going to do when you get old?" Depending on my mood, it is 1 of 2 answers.... either "Die like everyone else" or "look cool as hell"

- - - Updated - - -

The South can be brutal for negative responses. I am fortunate to live in the NW where people are not as outspoken with their opinions!

Quick question...I am a beginner here and am only getting ready for my third session on a half sleeve. I've actually enjoyed the looks and compliments. Anyways...I was in Walmart yesterday and was waiting in line in front of a very well dressed man in expensive slacks and button up shirt. He had his sleeves slightly rolled up and I noticed tattoos all the way to his wrists. I was really trying not to stare and that leads me to my question...how rude is it to ask someone about their tattoos? How do you go about it?

how rude is it to ask someone about their tattoos? How do you go about it?

Asking people about their tattoos isn't rude in itself, it's how you ask. Sometimes if I see people with nice tattoos I'll ask them who did the tattoo and that will usually start a conversation. It helps that I have some visible tattoos, but I think as long as you're respectful and aren't asking questions that you wouldn't like to be asked by a complete stranger yourself, you're fine.

Quick question...I am a beginner here and am only getting ready for my third session on a half sleeve. I've actually enjoyed the looks and compliments. Anyways...I was in Walmart yesterday and was waiting in line in front of a very well dressed man in expensive slacks and button up shirt. He had his sleeves slightly rolled up and I noticed tattoos all the way to his wrists. I was really trying not to stare and that leads me to my question...how rude is it to ask someone about their tattoos? How do you go about it?

I don't think it's rude at all to ask... It's better to ask them about their work then to stare. Some of my best conversations are with people randomly that also have work done on them.

Recently @Mark Bee and I were sitting outside a tattoo shop (surprise!) waiting for it to open for M to get a walk in. Dude walked up, chatted about Mark's tattoos, showed his own and then proceeded to touch the tattoo on my arm and ask me about it. He never came near M but felt totally justified touching me... irritating.

People staring at my tattoos doesn't bother me in the slightest. I've had them for a long time. But I agree, the uninvited touching is beyond aggravating. Along with having tattoos, I have long, thick, curly red hair (at the risk of sound arrogant - it is beautiful). A few years ago I was standing in line at the market. It was just one of those days and I wasn't in the nicest of moods. The woman in front of me turned around and started stroking my hair telling me how beautiful it was and asked if it was natural. I smiled, reached out and put my hand on her boob, as I started to squeeze I said, "Gosh, thanks so much. Your tits are beautiful too. Are they real?" She was so shocked and looked like she was going to cry as she quickly walked away to get in another line. I just laughed. It was extremely satisfying.

I get annoyed with the stares sometimes but totally understand it, however I've noticed when ever I'm in America it's always black people who will actually come up and talk to me about them. I mentioned this to my girlfriend a few trips ago and it always makes us laugh when it happens now

I don't get a lot of stares but sometimes the comments I get are cool.

Last May, I took the family to England and Wales for a couple weeks. Had planned to join the Bristol Tattoo Club but Les Skuse's shop in Bristol had closed.:(

But anyway, we ended with 4 days in London. We were in line at Westminster Abbey and one of the policemen outside noticed my Triumph Speed Triple tattoo and said that it looked really good. :)

- - - Updated - - -

Well, first, let me introduce myself. I am a 45 year old teacher who always dreamed about getting tattoos. Finally realized my dream, with a tattoo of a heart surrounded by a vine and leaves, all the way to my hand. I love it; very feminine yet expresses my vegan believes. Well... People are rude! Staring, frowning... And mainly women! Positives from men ( hubby not happy lol)... But how do you react to people ? Would it be because i am older??? One lady told me at the store i should not do this to the temple God gave me... What the hell is that about???

Wow, that does sound like a GREAT tattoo!

• 9 months later...

Rrrrrr. Rrrrrr. Brrrm. Trying to restart this cool thread. A week or two ago I sat with about a dozen motorcyclists (not 'bikers" - most of us were on GoldWings) at our end-of-weekend-gathering BBQ. I sat next to one that I had ridden in group with for two days, known him for about six years. We mainly know each other through internet forums (gee, what a novel idea!) I had on a sleeveless shirt, and he stared most of the evening at the tattoo on my right shoulder. I wish that I had asked him if he wanted to ask any questions about it? It is the one with world map outline and population in red dots.

I assume he was simply observing the map and trying to locate places? ^^ Some people don't know how obvious they are.

As far as the topic: I have noticed too that people stare at my tattoos. They aren't big so I assume they just feel the very obvious placement and designs are weird. I get asked what "it means" a lot.

I'm used to stares from dressing unconventional (not always but I like an enormous variety of styles, so some days I freak out my neighbors)...I ignore and if people keep staring I stare back and sometimes just ask "what?" with a smile.

I got the creep factor the other day at the market. I was at the check out line and there was a married couple one lane over. I noticed that every time his wife was turned away from me, he was making eye contact with me and giving me the "hey baby head nod and smirk" Gross, completely turned my stomach. I gave him my best snarley face and a head shake. really, I don't mind looks as much as I do creepy men who disrespect their wives like that.

The other day I was wearing a pretty dorky anime t-shirt and shorts and waiting for an ice cream when I noticed a small girl sneaking glances my way, as little kids do when they know they're not supposed to stare at strangers but sort of really want to anyway. First she looked at my shirt, then at the dolphin-fish on my leg, and then gave me a conspiratorial smile. Like: you can wear cartoons on your shirt AND on your leg?!