How do you react to stares??????

Natveggie45

• 3 weeks later...

I came from a rough background, drinking & drugs (don't ask what I did for a living between 1977 and 1981), fixing cars for a living, motorcycles, street racing and ultimately stock cars. So a lot of people I knew had tattoos and it was totally accepted. I was the first with big pieces done. With all I went through with some really close calls, I still give my wife (RIP) credit for saving my life.

Now I'm 61, 6' tall, 255 lbs and am in the gym 3 days most weeks, I'm kind of hard to miss. As I said earlier, people now look the other way and give me lots of room. Partly which is fine since I pretty much keep to myself when I'm out and about. It does bug me how quickly others judge, I'm actually pretty nice most of the time.

Actually I never realized about someone staring (in the bad way) my tattoos. I think it's more about don't thinking about it and then you will not realize about people staring the bad way to your tattoos. Just change your mind and stop worrying!

I never worried about people staring or judging my tattoos, and that's why I think I never watched nobody doing so!

I just realized about compliments and admiring glances!

I have a funny and cute tattoo on my leg (a pile of kawaii cats. You can check it on my instagram: https://www.instagram.com/p/BDfk1qNvAYD/?taken-by=polymernai ), and, even when I know it's not the best tattoo ever (and it's not perfectly done, I have to touch up the colours soon) , I had A LOT of kids loving my tattoo, saying that this is super cute and funny!!! I'm super happy when I make children smile :D

So, just listen to the compliments and forget about the bad words!

• 2 months later...

Coming through airport security yesterday one of the security guards had a long (favourable) chat about my tattoos.

He said he had a couple but was too afraid of the pain to get more.

Then he explained that he got the tattoos after he got paralysed in a car accident and then beat the doctor's diagnosis that he probably would never walk again (!!!).

I was like "dude, I think you could handle it" (He laughed).

Sent from my G7-L01 using Tapatalk

On April 9, 2016 at 2:51 PM, marley mission said:

i dont mind stares, comments or questions generally

my pet peeve is the "how much" question

i typically wont give a sincere answer to that one

I can't answer that because I don't know. My artist charges different prices depending on whether you book the whole day or just a couple of hours and I don't keep track of appointments. I probably have somewhere around 150 hours at anywhere from $100 - $150 per hour. If asked I just say, I don't know, I don't keep track.

i get a few awkward looks, i work in an industry dominated by the older generation.

Once at an exhibition a guy came up to me and said i could never be successful at my job because tattooed arms. After some conversation he warmed to me, opened an account with my company and now trades with me monthly. He has since tried to poach me from my current employer. I like to think he takes a different view on people with tattoos now.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

I absolutely hate the "how much did it cost" question.I used to answer that question to a few people,but now I ask if they are interested in getting a tattoo.If not,I don't answer the question.

Its pretty interesting to me seeing the reaction of co workers when they see my tattoos.
They are people that I have seen and spoken to for a lot of years. I notice their eyes looking right at my tattoos,but they don't say a thing.

Its kind of funny when the ones who are closer to me, make a comment and feel that its ok to let
me know how much they dislike tattoos.

I really don't care what anyone thinks,anyways.

14 minutes ago, Kill Uncle said:

I absolutely hate the "how much did it cost" question.I used to answer that question to a few people,but now I ask if they are interested in getting a tattoo.If not,I don't answer the question.

I hate that question, not so much because it's rude, but because you ALWAYS get one of two responses:

1) "Whoa, that's a lot! I'd never spend that much!" and/or "You could have bought a [insert expensive object here] for that much!"

2) "I know a guy who does them for $20, you should go to him!"

Nobody ever thinks it was reasonable, they act like I have to sell my organs to get even a little traditional one shot. :34_rolling_eyes:

What a great discussion! As a new guy on the block - first tattoo 6 months ago and second 3 weeks ago - I can comment on this from both sides. I was always fascinated with tattoos - don't think I ever consciously stared but definitely looked. I was intrigued by the designs, the colors, the placement. I didn't ever approach someone to ask about them though - I knew nothing about the culture or the process and so I didn't intrude. I also never judged someone based on their having tattoos. My father had one that he got while in the Marines at the end of WWII - he went on to be a college professor and electrical engineer so I learned as a kid that having tattoos doesn't tell you who a person is.

Now at age 61, retired from the Army and serving as the president of a college, I work with many people on my staff who have tattoos and see many students with them as well. I have a mix of friends, family, students and colleagues both past and present on my FB page and I openly post pictures the show my tattoos. I wear sleeveless shirts that expose them so now I get the stares. Although I've had a few negative comments from friends along the lines of "What were you thinking?" the majority of reactions have been positive. I enjoy a bit of breaking the mold of expectation of what an Army Colonel or College President are "expected" to be. And, when I see someone with great tattoos I compliment them and ask who did their work. I'm always looking for an interesting design or great artist.

I hate the question "Did it hurt?". Pain is relative and everyone experiences it differently. How do you explain your own pain to someone that makes sense or know that the person has the same level of pain tolerance? So, I always just answer that "It feels like being kissed by a baby unicorn."

At my age, I don't have to worry about what my tattoos will look like in 50 years. I'll be happy if I'm still here in 30. :8_laughing:

Maybe I shouldn't post here since I am still in the planning/saving stage for my back piece and otherwise have only one tiny hidden tattoo. So I don't know how I will react to stares. But I admit that I have been guilty of "staring" sometimes, because when I see a great tattoo, I want to really soak it up. (Maybe "stare" is too strong of a word. I keep a respectful distance, and my eyes don't bug out of my head, and I keep my mouth closed).

But I think my experience as one who has "stared" will inform my future reaction to people who stare. I'm probably going to keep covered most of the time, but sometimes I'd like to be able to show my half sleeves, and I suppose some will stare. My current theory is that they can stare all they want, as long as they don't say something obnoxious or disrespectful within earshot. If they ask me a respectful question, I will gladly talk, because I have greatly appreciated it when I have politely commented on people's tattoos, and they engaged me in conversation about them. It is amazing what a polite and respectful, "Excuse me, I want to tell you that I think that is a really nice tattoo," will do. I have had people react with their faces lighting up, thanking me, and then without being asked rolling up their sleeve and showing the rest of their piece, and talking animatedly about it. I want to be that person.