How do you react to stares??????

Natveggie45

i've never had anything negative happen to me. however, i'm 26, and tattoos are much less taboo now. i frequently have people contemplating me on my tattoos. i used to feel very awkward at first, now i enjoy will usually have a quick conversation with folks. i once had a little kid say to his mom, "mommy, look at the colorful pictures on the man's arm!" the woman seemed to get embarrassed and apologize, but i assured her it was perfectly fine. i'm lucky i've never had to deal with anyone doing/saying anything negative towards me because of my tattoos.

I've never had strangers say anything about them, but my dad told me that he thinks tattoos are trashy and that I'll regret them one day. Had I been 5 years younger I would have argued about it, but instead I just shrugged and said "egh, I don't think so."

My mom says they look "trashy" too. She also advised that I get therapy...in an I'm joking but not really kind of way. I think I just told her that we each have our own personal style and it's okay if they are not the same. As for therapy I told her she would probably be the one who needs it since I'm happy and she's the one w/a problem w/tattoos! ;-)

Oh, ps. @Dan S. -- I married into a Jewish family. They observe but are reform (rather than conservative or orthodox) and they are actually very laid back about the tattoos I have and now my husband has. My 73 yo mother-in-law has actually expressed a desire to get one. We would be happy to take her but she chickens out.

Stares from kids are the best. Always in total awe of seeing such heavily tattooed skin.

My girlfriend and I were eating at a restaurant in the downtown area of our town a week or two ago, and we ended up getting seated directly next to the floor to ceiling window that looked out onto the sidewalk. A family stopped right outside and there was a little dude--probably 7 or 8--who was absolutely fascinated by my tattoos. He stood there staring open mouthed and at one point grabbed his sister to point and show her. It was really cute...he clearly didn't realize that we could see him too, as after a minute or two we finally laughed and waved to him, at which point he ran and hid behind his parents. Kids are the best.

Stares from kids are the best. Always in total awe of seeing such heavily tattooed skin.

agreed... it's cool because you know they don't know any better. i remember eating in a restaurant and a family was walking by with a 5-6yr old little tyke... he was staring at my arm the entire walk, then just as they were passing he couldn't help but reach up and swipe his hand across my arm. i, my wife, and the parents just all smiled.

as i'm reading thru all the responses and typing this up, i'm realizing that we're all just grown up kids... we've just developed a filter that says "don't stare" in our minds and have grown to feel uncomfortable when people stare at us.

but i also honestly have the same reaction when i see a great tattoo! i definitely try not to stare if i know i'm in their line of sight, but i gotta get my peeks! if i'm walking behind someone wearing good work, i'll definitely study it... i mean... I LOVE THIS SHIT!! why would i not?! if someone was walking around with a Horitomo sleeve or Grime squid pants, my wife would probably have to remind me to pick my jaw up off the floor.

this is a great thing about conventions! not only are you allowed to stare, but it's kind of expected and most people are cool with it... they dig it because they love their tattoos and they know the onlookers appreciate their work. you'll see great tattooers there staring at all the other great tattoos walking around, because they're checking out what their peers have been up to.

my first story of the kid also reminds me that when i first got tattooed, a lot of people i know who haven't been around tattoos were COMPLETELY intrigued and it wasn't uncommon for friends and family to ask "can i touch it?!"

"NO! it's still healing! get your dirty paws off me!!"... one exception was my coworker at the time who is now my wife. ;)

Pretty much anytime I see a really great (or honestly even just a pretty good) tattoo, I tend to stare at it a fair amount. But I have quite a few visible tattoos myself, so I feel like there's an element of camaraderie there. Plus I know that I interpret stares from other tattooed people or kids or even people who just seem genuinely interested in a completely different way than I do judgmental eye-daggers from old women making cat-butt faces. It's usually pretty easy to tell the difference. At the same time, I think it was a poster on here a while back that said that we don't get heavily tattooed because we're well-adjusted people that want to blend in with the crowd.

You just get used to it. Most times it's people just checking it out and you get over it, but at first it can be weird. I've yet to get a bad reaction, but if I do. Fuck 'em.

this^

ultimately, staring in a bad way is their problem and their negativaty. It's only your problem if you let their reaction affect you.

My girlfriend and I were eating at a restaurant in the downtown area of our town a week or two ago, and we ended up getting seated directly next to the floor to ceiling window that looked out onto the sidewalk. A family stopped right outside and there was a little dude--probably 7 or 8--who was absolutely fascinated by my tattoos. He stood there staring open mouthed and at one point grabbed his sister to point and show her. It was really cute...he clearly didn't realize that we could see him too, as after a minute or two we finally laughed and waved to him, at which point he ran and hid behind his parents. Kids are the best.

haha i do this too. whenever i see someoen with cool tattoos, which is usually rare, i always try to sneak a glimpse.

Oh, ps. @Dan S. -- I married into a Jewish family. They observe but are reform (rather than conservative or orthodox) and they are actually very laid back about the tattoos I have and now my husband has. My 73 yo mother-in-law has actually expressed a desire to get one. We would be happy to take her but she chickens out.

Many moons ago, I lived in a Lubavitcher 'hood in Chicago...I'd come out of the building, and they'd scatter immediately. Amazingly enough, I saw a tattoo parlor in Skokie, in the same all-kosher strip mall. Worlds of difference between the different flavors.

Wanna thank everyone who answered and had anecdotes ; but i think something happened with hubby while on our bike trip to niagara falls and port dover that made me feel so cool! I dont care if people stare.... We were just getting off the bike at the falls, still helmets on, and all tattoos showing. Well this lovely chinese couple, tourists, barely speaking english, came over smiling and asked if they could take our pictures as we were " real canadians" so they said...; we obliged, and laughed so hard with them. I was so pleased that they felt ok to talk to us..they took many pictures of my tattoos. Felt much better.... Karma at work i guess.... I needed a boost, and they crossed my path. Need a beer; getting waaayyyyy too philosophical.... Lol

I can't help but stare sometimes, because i'm digging the tattoo i'm seeing. Just remember, some of the people staring at you might also be tattooed, but non-visible, and are amazed by yours.

I never say anything though, it just feels rude to me, but i don't mind if someone asks about mine. Just mind your fuckin manners like ya mama taught ya! :p

I don't mind when someone approaches me to ask questions about where I got my tattoos done, as I definitely enjoy being able to direct people to the one decent shop our town has instead of one of the dozen other scratcher-level shops around. Most of the time I don't mind the stray compliments either, although I find it really funny when people tell me "I really like your tattoo," and then look at me like I pulled their pants down when I ask, "Which one?" I just really fucking hate when people approach me (especially drunk people at bars) with the sole intent of showing me their shitty tattoo that their buddy did, or one faded rose the size of a quarter on their bicep, or "this one that turns those two moles into a smiley face, get it?" Some of the random things people say really blow me away too...I was buying a card for the lady's birthday at the Hallmark store the other day, and as she rang me up, the clerk saw my forearms and remarked, "I'll bet they had to shave your arm to do that, didn't they." People are fucking weird.

*snipped*.... as she rang me up, the clerk saw my forearms and remarked, "I'll bet they had to shave your arm to do that, didn't they." People are fucking weird.

While weird that actually sounds like the most accurate thing someone has asked about another person's tattoos without being tattoo people themselves....epic!

I met a chick once who asked if she could lick my tattoos. After brief consideration I obviously consented.

Other than that, the only people who are like "your tattoos are stupid, quit getting them" are my friends, because I'm always broke. I need new friends. Or a sugar daddy. Any takers?

While this is a weird request, I would have gone along with it too just to see where she was going with that... It's not every day that a person asks a stranger if they can lick them

@Jack not unless your a hot chick.

^ what this guy said

I went in for an acupuncture session yesterday, my 1st one. I did the interview thing while dressed with no ink showing. I was told to take off my shirt, shoes and socks then the technician came back in. He said, I guess you have no problems with needles. I suppose he was staring for a bit before he said anything and commented that he never comments on tattoos but he liked the oriental style of mine.

"I'll bet they had to shave your arm to do that, didn't they."

When i first read this I didn't think twice about it until I remembered that when I had my sleeve done in Japan I was never shaved. Granted, there is probably a good chance your a tad hairier than I (would not be hard lol) I remember hearing that a lot of tattooers in Asia don't normally shave their clients unless they have to?* (Citation needed.) So her question might not have been all that weird?

When i first read this I didn't think twice about it until I remembered that when I had my sleeve done in Japan I was never shaved. Granted, there is probably a good chance your a tad hairier than I (would not be hard lol) I remember hearing that a lot of tattooers in Asia don't normally shave their clients unless they have to?* (Citation needed.) So her question might not have been all that weird?

Quite probably. I'm a pretty hairy bastard. That's really interesting though...I had no idea, as I've always had a razor run over even the relatively hairless areas.

I went in for an acupuncture session yesterday, my 1st one. I did the interview thing while dressed with no ink showing. I was told to take off my shirt, shoes and socks then the technician came back in. He said, I guess you have no problems with needles. I suppose he was staring for a bit before he said anything and commented that he never comments on tattoos but he liked the oriental style of mine.

I'm really afraid of syringes. Like cringe when there's one on the TV level fear. For whatever reason though, tattoo needles don't bother me in the least. The lady who drew blood last time I was at the doctor gave me a whole lot of shit about it when she realized that this dude with a whole bunch of tattoos was shaking like a child and couldn't even look at the needle. I've never done the acupuncture thing though....I have no idea how I would react to that.

I have no idea how I would react to that.

Its no big deal, really. A hard tap and thats it. Just looks like a pin sticking out of your arm/hand/whatever. Only time I've ever had a half-second yikes sensation was getting a huge one in the crown of my head. Whoa.

I had some blood drawn for my cholesterol test a few weeks ago (hours before driving down for a tattoo session, as a matter of fact), and joked with the technician that I obviously had no problem with needles. She told me that a lot of the tattooed people she sees are terrified of needles.

I guess it's a different type of feeling between getting tattooed and getting a needle actually in a vein, but still...neither bother me, but I've been getting blood tests fairly regularly since I was a baby, so...

I had some blood drawn for my cholesterol test a few weeks ago (hours before driving down for a tattoo session, as a matter of fact), and joked with the technician that I obviously had no problem with needles. She told me that a lot of the tattooed people she sees are terrified of needles.

I guess it's a different type of feeling between getting tattooed and getting a needle actually in a vein, but still...neither bother me, but I've been getting blood tests fairly regularly since I was a baby, so...

I start shaking before getting blood drawn. It's kinda funny. Thoughout my life my veins have been "hidden" so getting blood drawn sucks. I have a nurse one time stab the shit out of one arm, move to the next literally "searching" for a vein. She ended up having to draw blood from my hand which is now the only way I do it. Tattoo needles vs blood drawing needles are WAY different, although I think it also comes down the environment. Tattoo shops are much more inviting than cold, doctors offices.

Quite probably. I'm a pretty hairy bastard. That's really interesting though...I had no idea, as I've always had a razor run over even the relatively hairless areas.

I'm really afraid of syringes. Like cringe when there's one on the TV level fear. For whatever reason though, tattoo needles don't bother me in the least. The lady who drew blood last time I was at the doctor gave me a whole lot of shit about it when she realized that this dude with a whole bunch of tattoos was shaking like a child and couldn't even look at the needle. I've never done the acupuncture thing though....I have no idea how I would react to that.

I only feel comfy with hypodermics if I'm holding it, but I stopped doing that shit 25 years ago...

The acupuncture was okay... I didn't ever get to see any of the needles. They don't come out until I'm face down... I guess. I know I had some in my hands, lower legs and feed and in a V pattern on my back and on my neck. My right hand is puffed up and bruised, but getting back to normal. I was told that might happen.

CG

I start shaking before getting blood drawn. It's kinda funny. Thoughout my life my veins have been "hidden" so getting blood drawn sucks. I have a nurse one time stab the shit out of one arm, move to the next literally "searching" for a vein. She ended up having to draw blood from my hand which is now the only way I do it. Tattoo needles vs blood drawing needles are WAY different, although I think it also comes down the environment. Tattoo shops are much more inviting than cold, doctors offices.

i too have an aversion to shots. A few weeks back I had annual labs and nurse says" you got veins big enough to drive a truck through. Lift your arm up honey so I can wrap this band around you" why if my vein is present? no answer then i could feel the pinch and blood filled the syringe and as she tried to switch vials i got nauseous. 3 vials total and a little spillage but atleast I didnt cry