How do you react to stares??????

Natveggie45

Recently at work a customer said to me, "I really hate tattoos and usually think they're disgusting, but yours is beautiful." This was the best backhanded compliment I've ever gotten, because I realized--for all those other people who stare at me in disgust--as long as I keep getting beautiful, flawless pieces, who the fuck cares what other people think, because I may just convert more close-minded people like that customer to appreciating tattoos and accepting people with them.

Thoughout my life my veins have been "hidden" so getting blood drawn sucks. I have a nurse one time stab the shit out of one arm, move to the next literally "searching" for a vein.

I have the exact same problem. Having to go in both arms several times.. near enough passed out last time.

i too have an aversion to shots. A few weeks back I had annual labs and nurse says" you got veins big enough to drive a truck through. Lift your arm up honey so I can wrap this band around you" why if my vein is present? no answer then i could feel the pinch and blood filled the syringe and as she tried to switch vials i got nauseous. 3 vials total and a little spillage but atleast I didnt cry

Glad to hear I'm not the only one!

The acupuncture was okay... I didn't ever get to see any of the needles. They don't come out until I'm face down... I guess.

I used to get acupuncture regularly (probably should start again, actually). Have some problems that prevent me using that face-hole in the massage bench, so I have to get it done lying on my back instead. Haven't lived til you've watched needles getting whacked into your own face :P

Actually now that I think of it, "medical professionals" (physio/sports med/acupuncturists etc.) have commented on my tattoos quite a few times. I guess there's a breaking down of barriers that occurs when you're seeing someone half-naked and discussing every detail of their health with them?

I used to get acupuncture regularly (probably should start again, actually). Have some problems that prevent me using that face-hole in the massage bench, so I have to get it done lying on my back instead. Haven't lived til you've watched needles getting whacked into your own face :P

Actually now that I think of it, "medical professionals" (physio/sports med/acupuncturists etc.) have commented on my tattoos quite a few times. I guess there's a breaking down of barriers that occurs when you're seeing someone half-naked and discussing every detail of their health with them?

I was in a big car accident last year, so I've probably had over 100 visits between doctors, chiropractors, physical therapy and spinal injections. I've added some ink in that time and everyone asks if I have any new work. They're deffo conversation pieces especially since most of mine are fairly new.

I'm not big on being face-down on the table either. I'll see if I can do it sitting up in one of those sitting massage chairs maybe. My back started to go into spasm late in the session.

CG

I don't even notice the stares anymore!

I always tell people that you made a conscious decision to be "different" than the rest of

society so you have no reason to complain!

It's how I have felt since my first tattoo....so I don't complain or generally be ignorant back!

Someone touches me....whole new game plan!

Men I tell them to get the fuck off of me very loudly........women I just grab there boob! ;)

Just wanted to throw a recent experience in there to throw some perspective from a non-tattooed person (not me).

I was at the doctor since I just totalled my car late last week. The nurse doing my normal blood pressure, height, etc, kept staring at my tattoos. It was not subtle at all. After awhile I made a joke along the lines of "my face is up here", and she got embarrassed. This broke the ice, so she asked me where I got them and that she was actually looking to get something soon but she always see stuff that looks terrible on her friends. She pointed to the lady on my arm and said "How do they make the colors look so amazing". I just told her go to a good shop, after which I told her where I go and would go. I then understood she was just amazed after seeing her first well done tattoo up close. She actually wrote down all the information I told her on a Rx notepad!

Just wanted to throw a recent experience in there to throw some perspective from a non-tattooed person (not me).

I was at the doctor since I just totalled my car late last week. The nurse doing my normal blood pressure, height, etc, kept staring at my tattoos. It was not subtle at all. After awhile I made a joke along the lines of "my face is up here", and she got embarrassed. This broke the ice, so she asked me where I got them and that she was actually looking to get something soon but she always see stuff that looks terrible on her friends. She pointed to the lady on my arm and said "How do they make the colors look so amazing". I just told her go to a good shop, after which I told her where I go and would go. I then understood she was just amazed after seeing her first well done tattoo up close. She actually wrote down all the information I told her on a Rx notepad!

This is awesome.

I had 2 younger guys (maybe 18-19) comment on my Desa dagger while I happened to be in Chicago about 2 months ago and were asking me where I got it, who did it, did it hurt, etc. Of course I told them to go visit Mario at CTC in Boystown.

I just told her go to a good shop, after which I told her where I go and would go. I then understood she was just amazed after seeing her first well done tattoo up close. She actually wrote down all the information I told her on a Rx notepad!

She lucked out. You did a good thing.

Last week I had just arrived at the airport and was riding a little shuttle/tram thing from the terminals to the baggage check. It was standing room only and there was this tiny little old lady standing next to me and my elbow, which has a mandala on it, was about 2 inches from her nose. I noticed and said "I'm sorry, excuse me..." and she quickly interjected "No, wait! Sooooo cooool..." and ran her finger over it.

I was playing semi-drunk putt putt a few weeks back, and a dude stopped me to ask where I got my tattoos done. He was home on leave from the military, and had been into a few different shops and was put off by how cheaply all these dudes were telling him that they'd do the tattoo he wanted for. He ended up not getting tattooed at any of them because he had heard the old "Cheap tattoos aren't good..." line, and didn't want to settle for a cheap, shitty tattoo. I recommended the one great shop in our town (Front Street Tattoo), showed him the stuff I had gotten there, and mentioned that they had military Mondays where they did 10% off for servicemen. I was stoked on that interaction for the rest of the day because it was so different than the usual "My dude will do that for 40 bucks" shit that I hear from 95% of people. I'm really hoping he went in and got something awesome.

I don't have any ink that you can see when I'm in a t-shirt really, just the bottom of a wishy-washy black and grey half sleeve. However, I do have stretched lobes and keep my head closely shaven, and feel I get some stares for this at times. My partner and I were eating in a restaurant in Italy and a middle aged woman was openly staring at me for the majority of the time we were there, not even bothering to hide her expression of disdain/disgust/disapproval. It was probably the most uncomfortable I have felt in a social situation. She didn't speak English and I don't speak Italian so I knew of no way to tell her how rude she was being without coming across as a typical "Brit Abroad"... a big part of me wanted to give her a slap and a short, sharp "NO!", just to get my point across but somehow I'm not sure that would have been helpful!!

Apart from that I get curiosity and interest from time to time but generally I don't think my 'look' is that interesting or different these days, I blend in with the public majority pretty much. I do think that the more heavily tattooed you become, the more you are inviting stares, but that's cool and to be expected, you are after all making yourself into a walking art gallery, and art is there to be appreciated.

I think in the case of the "your body is a temple" brigade I would be more affronted that they thought I gave a fuck what their god thought of what I did to myself. I consider myself a man of science, but I don't go to every crucifix wearing person I see and tell them there is no evidence for religious deities and it causes more problems than it solves (in my opinion). Likewise I feel that we deserve the right to similar courtesy and have an entitlement to NOT have ill informed religious doctrine shoved down our throats.

I now carry cards from the shop that I use and give them out to nurses and anyone that asks about my tattoos.. even had some shop stickers I gave out as well. Never hurts to tout up your shop and send someone to a quailty place.

CG

- - - Updated - - -

I was playing semi-drunk putt putt a few weeks back, and a dude stopped me to ask where I got my tattoos done. He was home on leave from the military, and had been into a few different shops and was put off by how cheaply all these dudes were telling him that they'd do the tattoo he wanted for. He ended up not getting tattooed at any of them because he had heard the old "Cheap tattoos aren't good..." line, and didn't want to settle for a cheap, shitty tattoo. I recommended the one great shop in our town (Front Street Tattoo), showed him the stuff I had gotten there, and mentioned that they had military Mondays where they did 10% off for servicemen. I was stoked on that interaction for the rest of the day because it was so different than the usual "My dude will do that for 40 bucks" shit that I hear from 95% of people. I'm really hoping he went in and got something awesome.

Ain't that great? Some idiot always knows of a shop that has a $75/hour rate. Like I believe an idiot with postage-stamp sized tattoos that are at least 25 years old. I always tell people what the going rate is in decent shops. Anyone I send to "my" shop winds up getting treated well.

CG

I'm a pastor, so my tattoos get stares quite often. I'm a talker and my profession also demands that I be one, so typically when I see the stares I say hello and hope that a little dialog ensues. If the outcome is that their outlook on life broadens a bit; great. If they get super offended; I say a prayer that God show them the error in their judgmental ways and that they come to the realization that my tattoos are awesome.

The only negative reactions I've gotten have been from family members offended that "there's a naked lady on this girl child!" Okay, so that may not have been the exact quote, but I've gotten variations of it from a few relatives. My mother hates it. My sister (and, now that I think of it, a friend's aunt) asked why it couldn't have been a naked man. My response to questions as to why is generally the simple fact that I liked the concept, love my artist's interpretation of it, and I wanted it. My response to being told that someone doesn't like/approve of it is that they don't have to look at it (or me, if they wanna go there). An aunt commented on a pic where it shows that it "looks nasty." Just that, nothing else. She's known for being rude, but it was the first time someone managed to piss me off with a comment. I told her, basically, that I would've said "fuck you" if I was as crude as her, but instead would politely ask that she keep her opinions on my body and how I choose to adorn it to herself. Generally, though, I get looks or passing compliments, but nothing disturbing.

I live in a pretty conservative town, so I get stares fairly often. For some reason, it just doesn't bother me anymore. I used to get irritated whenever I realized someone was staring at me, but I just ignore it now. I realize that I've committed to something that will be visible on my body for the rest of my life, so I understand when people look. Also, I'm from the mid-west: I'm used to brushing people off for being close-minded.

I can deal with stares pretty well and can usually tell the difference between interested vs a$$hole stares. I just smile and go about my business.

I've only had one very negative reaction where a man took time out his day to tell me I "was ruined! Tattoos are for sailors and prostitutes!" . He was so angry. I thanked him for his "insight", several other customers told him to shut it.

Just because someone says they're a Christian doesn't make them one. I can say that I'm the quarterback of the Green Bay Packers, but that doesn't mean I am.

If someone is a judgmental self-righteous asshole, it doesn't matter what they call themselves; what they really are is a judgmental self-righteous asshole.

"I like your Christ. I do not like your Christians. Your Christians are so unlike your Christ." - Mahatma Gandhi

I forget who said it but Christianity is the religion about Jesus, not the religion of Jesus. Most Christians that I've met don't know the difference.

If you believe the bible, Paul said in 1 Corinthians 11:1, “Be imitators of me, as I am of Christ.” Often Christianity seems more like an expression of hate and punishment than of love. I don't see a whole lot of Christians acting like Christ.