How do you react to stares??????

Natveggie45

You don't see many tattooed people here in Russia, especially girls. So I get plenty of obnoxious stares... Not to mention that people are absolutely viscious here... and very rude! haha Mostly I just ingnore them. Why the heck would I let some stranger affect my mood in any way? I love my ink and I couldn't care less about people's opinions..

Me and my girl went to Riga in Latvia this summer, and that was INSANE! Everyone stared like crazy - some even stopped and pointed at me. I wore a sailors cap, so I can't for the life of me figure out, wether it was because of the tattoos, or my resemblance to Lenin (guess they're not that fond of him). I thought it was hillarious.

Living in the middle east, the attention can get quite extreme. Some of those people have never even seen a white person before, let alone blonde hair, and multicoloured arms. I Don't mind the stares so much in general, but I hate it when I am eating in a restaurant. People touching me without warning too. I tend to cover up most of the time now.

Funny thing is one time I was at a public function couple of years ago and there in my official government capacity. Think town hall style type of meeting. Most times these things are pretty civil with people inquiring about quality of life issues and who is responsible for such and such. This go around I get the luck of the draw and it's a tow truck driver (a business type which my agency regulates and oversees) and he's laying into me saying how terrible we are and I'm sitting up there all high and mighty and looking down on him cause he's an average working joe with tattoos on his arm. I told him he was wrong and we treat everyone fairly and he was mistaken if I'm judging him on his appearance. He continues to rant and said he noticed me sneering at him when he first walked into the meeting and gawking. I tell him if I was staring, it was probably more in admiration of the artwork on his arms and I basically tell him he is unfairly judging me based on my professional appearance to which I take off my suit jacket and role up one of my sleeves to expose my 3/4 sleeve.

Couple of people in the audience laugh, some applauded. He catches me at the end of the meeting and apologizes for pre-judging me and states he's just frustrated with the regulations thats putting a strain on his business. I give him my card and tell him to call/email me so we can discuss his concerns further.

When you really get off the beaten-path in the US, you either see people with bad tattoos or no tattoos. So anyone with good artwork on them stands out. My son went to an upstate NY school for a while. There were 2 tattoo shops in the town and we stopped in. Man... they were turning out some awful work, but they were busy all the time.

Rob

• 1 month later...

If you have one or more than no one really stares unless they're on your face or hands lol

Or they might stare if your tattoos say something and they are reading or they are just really cool :D Or of course if you are covered and sleeved up then they might stare or just look and no big deal really

I feel like tattoos are becoming so part of our culture now, they aren't as much of a shock value anymore. It does depend on what you get in a way, but our society is more accepting in them in general. I think it depends where you are and what kind of people you are around as well.

I live in a small town (not for long) and its a pretty backwater, non-diverse place for the most part. I never get anything but positive comments, but I have noticed stares ranging from curious to disapproving. The only thing that bothers me in any way, is people who feel its ok to touch me or grab me to better see my tattoos. Unless i know you, and obviously like you, how the hell does that seem ok?? Its only happened a few times (both complete strangers), but I was pretty surprised and a bit angry both times

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk

• 1 month later...

So reading this thread, it seems like responses run the gamut from being upset people stare to not caring. I have one small tattoo on my shoulder that doesn't garner stares and it's hidden at work but I'm working on a full back now that no one has seen, so this question is interesting to me.

But on the flip side, sometimes I see tattoos that's I'd like to look at and not feel like I have to sneak a peek at. Why do we feel like it's wrong to do more than sneak a peek? Why would someone with a tattoo get upset to know that someone else is looking and could be genuinely interested in the art? Isn't a reason for getting a tattoo, at least in part, that it be seen?

I know I'll get lots of dirty looks wearing a swim suit when the time comes, but I'd like to think I wouldn't get bent if people look more than a moment to check it out. Am I sadly mistaken?

So reading this thread' date=' it seems like responses run the gamut from being upset people stare to not caring. I have one small tattoo on my shoulder that doesn't garner stares and it's hidden at work but I'm working on a full back now that no one has seen, so this question is interesting to me. But on the flip side, sometimes I see tattoos that's I'd like to look at and not feel like I have to sneak a peek at. Why do we feel like it's wrong to do more than sneak a peek? Why would someone with a tattoo get upset to know that someone else is looking and could be genuinely interested in the art? Isn't a reason for getting a tattoo, at least in part, that it be seen? I know I'll get lots of dirty looks wearing a swim suit when the time comes, but I'd like to think I wouldn't get bent if people look more than a moment to check it out. Am I sadly mistaken?[/quote']

I think that the turn off is so many times the looks and comments are negative and ignorant that it gets a bit redundant. One the other side, when you do something like get visible tattoos, you have to know ppl are going to look.. Suck it up butter cup.

I think that the turn off is so many times the looks and comments are negative and ignorant that it gets a bit redundant. One the other side, when you do something like get visible tattoos, you have to know ppl are going to look.. Suck it up butter cup.

I guess I didn't phrase that right. Is is generally a no-no to take more than a glancing peek and someone's tattoo if you try to be clear it's an appreciation check and not a negative editorial? Would a look with a nod or smile be generally acceptable? I'd genuinely like to look but don't want to come off acting like an asshole - I don't have visible art to show I'm on the same page.

I guess I didn't phrase that right. Is is generally a no-no to take more than a glancing peek and someone's tattoo if you try to be clear it's an appreciation check and not a negative editorial? Would a look with a nod or smile be generally acceptable? I'd genuinely like to look but don't want to come off acting like an asshole - I don't have visible art to show I'm on the same page.

I generally glance at first, if it looks bad I just go on about my life and forget I saw a bad tattoo.. On the other hand, if it's good I get an eye full and he/she sees me looking I generally say 'hey that's a rad tattoo' and keep doing whatever I'm doing.

I think the main thing is space number 1, if your not invited closer then don't get closer and 2, just because we both have tattoos does not mean were friends and talk about your uncles heart condition. Just be respectful like you would expect and most everyone will be cool.

My tattoos are pretty inconspicuous (one on my left wrist, my lower left side of my back, inside of my right leg above my ankle bone, and one right above my collarbone) so it's usually the second or third glances that I get when I'm actually having a conversation with people. Usually people are more surprised that I have them (I'm extremely shy/dress average and most people in society unfortunately still seem to think that people with tattoos are rebel kids). Basically I only get mean stares when I'm in a bathing suit, and I just laugh it off.

I agree with the space thing. I was at a bar once and a man that I have never seen/talked to in my entire life deliberately lifted my shirt up to see my tattoo. Luckily I was with my guy friend who stood up for me, but that was a one time experience in itself.

• 2 weeks later...

Honestly I don't mind stares.It comes with the territory and I am proud of the work that I wear... What I do mind is people grabbing my shirt and pulling up without saying a word to me. WTF?? I can't count how many times people just reach out and grab. I try to be pleasant but I'm not much of a toucher and find this a clear violation my space

When my tattoos started creeping below my skirt, I started getting huffy because I noticed more people (mostly lecherous men) staring...and then my friend made a point - did you get the tattoo expecting no one would look? It gave me pause. Until that point I could cover up my tattoos without any particular consideration given to what I wear, so I hadn't thought about getting ogled more than what you have to deal with by just being female and walking around. There have certainly been more stares, and more comments, and I've taken to wearing pants more than skirts, and that's how I deal with it. (I should add that in Seattle, tattoos aren't really out of place, so less stares, and also I tend to wear long sleeves mostly. To protect my tattoos and 'cause it's chilly here ;p).

Put me in a room full of dedicated tattoo enthusiasts and I am more than happy to strip down and get stared at - because then we're all talking tattoo and looking at the art. (but c'mon, buy me dinner first ;))

Honestly I don't mind stares.It comes with the territory and I am proud of the work that I wear... What I do mind is people grabbing my shirt and pulling up without saying a word to me. WTF?? I can't count how many times people just reach out and grab. I try to be pleasant but I'm not much of a toucher and find this a clear violation my space

I react violently to being grabbed.. No one should be grabbing you to look at your tattoos, or any other reason, don't be afraid to set that precedent.

Put me in a room full of dedicated tattoo enthusiasts and I am more than happy to strip down and get stared at - because then we're all talking tattoo and looking at the art. (but c'mon' date=' buy me dinner first ;))[/quote']

Lmao!! Now that's funny! I dig the sense of humor in that lol

Put me in a room full of dedicated tattoo enthusiasts and I am more than happy to strip down and get stared at - because then we're all talking tattoo and looking at the art. (but c'mon, buy me dinner first ;))

Love love love that! Ha ha ha! I'll remember that next SFO Convention. Ha ha!

I had to go on a work trip with someone who works for me recently. We both telecommute so we had never met. I wore long sleeves at the client site, but I wore t-shirt and jeans to dinner. He kept staring at my sleeve but never said anything so I didn't either. I actually thought it was funny.

I'm not heavily tattooed at all, but I do have more "coverage" than most people I know who might just have a few little wrist or ankle tattoos. Plus I've been getting most of my work done since last winter and it's still not really warm enough to wear shorts and expose most of it. So I haven't had too many stares, but my co-workers are always interested in my progress and asking to see anything new. It doesn't bother me at all (granted, I don't have anything highly visible and I'm not covered...yet :) ). I like looking at and discussing tattoos, even if they aren't so great, so it usually sparks a conversation with people when they see mine. I like the thought of someone seeing my tattoos and maybe getting inspired or having their perceptions changed of what a tattoo can be, so many people were amazed my artist drew my tattoos and didn't just print them off the internet...that's kind of sad that they think tattoos can only be traced existing designs. It's not necessarily my duty to educate anyone and I'm sure there comes a point when it's annoying, but I don't mind it at this point and I hope maybe I can do my small part to help out the tattoo industry.

Stare could be good or bad, depends on the person's facial expressions

Now I have received compliments on my tattoos after someone looks at it and that's a good thing :D

I haven't really noticed anyone "staring" at my tattoo, I guess when you look at them they look away quick or something lol

I had to go on a work trip with someone who works for me recently. We both telecommute so we had never met. I wore long sleeves at the client site, but I wore t-shirt and jeans to dinner. He kept staring at my sleeve but never said anything so I didn't either. I actually thought it was funny.

Sometimes the silence can be louder than words.