I've been toying with the idea of getting a tattoo of the 'santa muerte' virgin mary (skeleton instead of woman), I know theres been a thread on religious tattoos on the non religious, but I'd be interested to hear some of your opinions of getting something like this has nothing to do with your particular culture just because you like the imagery ?

i have one too....it helps sometimes warding off cops in mexico...haha.... some people might be offended in you having the tattoo and not knowing the story about her, or ritual. not me though...do it....the image is awsome, and makes for a cool tattoo.

Im questioning it more because im considering it as a backpeice, i do know the story behind it but a little skeptical on whether its the done thing to get something like that so huge when you dont actually worship it and just live the imagery!

Im questioning it more because im considering it as a backpeice, i do know the story behind it but a little skeptical on whether its the done thing to get something like that so huge when you dont actually worship it and just live the imagery!

a backpiece would be awsome...to most it would just look like a grim reaper...its the small details, like the owl, hourglass, and the earth that make it santisima muerte..i dont see a problem if you dont worship it...better for you, it usually involves some sort of offering..

a backpiece would be awsome...to most it would just look like a grim reaper...its the small details, like the owl, hourglass, and the earth that make it santisima muerte..i dont see a problem if you dont worship it...better for you, it usually involves some sort of offering..

so a virgin mary with a skull face like the painted posted above isn't necessarily considered santa muerte ?

so a virgin mary with a skull face like the painted posted above isn't necessarily considered santa muerte ?

No, I wouldn't say so; not anymore than a pin-up girl with calavera makeup. You can tell people it represents whatever you want, but like mikevaladez said, without the owl,hourglass,and earth, it's just a grim reaper.

Do some research- Santa Muerte is just a Catholicized version of Mictecacihuatl, the Aztec goddess of the dead that later inspired La Catrina.

Here's a video with some images in it:

from the song:

Mafiosos y de la ley se la empiezan a tatuar

politicos y altos jefes tambien le tienen su altar

yo le prendo sus velitas no es un delito rezar.

Gangsters and the law have the tattoo

politicians and senior managers also have her altar

I light her candles, it is not a crime to pray.

I have a Santa Muerte candle in my set up that I bought at the taqueria because I'm a Breaking Bad fan. I was actually unaware of the figure before watching that show.

Even with all the right bells and whistles most of the exoteric world will think its just a cool looking grim reaper.