Photography of people with tattoos

Lochlan

In my opinion everyone that belongs to a particular subculture fall into some kind of mold.

How many girls in longbeach have that rockabilly style with greaser boyfriends that cruise hotrods, how many tattooers you see with long beards, how many suburban kids in orange county dress like cholos from the 80's, have many gangbangers in southcentral have shaved heads, wear raider jerseys with houseshoes, how many hairdresser chicks at the burgandy room have tattoos of shears and roses, how many punks have mohawks, how many skinheads wear fred perry shit, how many douchebags wear tapout shit?

Hipsters are just an easy and fun target but you name it and there is a stereotypical look to it. It's basic group behavior.

you're absolutely right Huero. but i'm still sick of seeing pictures of them, especially when the images all appear the same to me. i'd just like to see something that deviates from it get as much publicity. i'm just as much a conformist as those hipsters, only in a different way and i'm not denying it. i'm just tired of seeing the same ol' shit, and seeing it being perpetuated as "beautiful" or "interesting" when to me, and again this is my opinion, it feels like a commodity and boring.

as i already stated, if Loch is drawn to those pictures because he happens to like tall, skinny, scantilly clad women with long dark hair who are semi-heavily tattooed, then that's fine and more power to him. however, i'd like to see more people being elevated to that same standard of beauty for just being who they are and happening to be photographed, rather than posing for these shots that are set up to perpetuate a standard that already exists within both mainstream society and underground subcultures, and one that i feel many are using tattoos and tattooing, an artform that was not considered to be a part of this standard for many years, as a way to gain some "edgey" advantage. mind you too, that i have no problem with posed shots (as evidence by my liking of that second image that Loch posted), but the shot to me is evoking of something more than "look at me! i'm beautiful and unique! love me!" alslo, for some of the examples you mentioned Huero, there are social and economic reasons for why a given group has chosen a specific esthetic (skinheads and fred perry's for example), and it has symbolized something more than just esthetic appeal or interest.

again, this is just my opinion. i noticed that you like a lot of pictures of "hipster" (my term, not yours) looking people, which is fine. there's just more to photography and tattoos out there than that however.

oh, and for those of you who are reading this and remember the debate on Little Linda, well there was a video of her that i found showing what it takes for her to look like she does in her photographs. it included her wearing a wig and having a makeup artists present. personally, in my opinion, i thought she looked much more beautiful with her short hair and without all the other aesthetic gimmicks. made me miss my short hair. call me a naturalist i suppose.

oh and one more thing. for the record, mold was Loch's term, not mine (not that it really matters though). it made sense to use it in order to continue the conversation.

*edited to be less reactionary*

you're absolutely right Huero. but i'm still sick of seeing pictures of them, especially when the images all appear the same to me. i'd just like to see something that deviates from it get as much publicity. i'm just as much a conformist as those hipsters, only in a different way and i'm not denying it. i'm just tired of seeing the same ol' shit, and seeing it being perpetuated as "beautiful" or "interesting" when to me, and again this is my opinion, it feels like a commodity and boring.

But everyone looks the same. That's what I am saying. Bikers all look the same, so do ravers, and punks and greasers, eskimos and lesbians. That's just how people are.

Loch is drawn to those pictures because he happens to like tall, skinny, scantilly clad women with long dark hair who are semi-heavily tattooed, then that's fine and more power to him. however, i'd like to see more people being elevated to that same standard of beauty for just being who they are and happening to be photographed, rather than posing for these shots that are set up to perpetuate a standard that already exists within both mainstream society and underground subcultures

Make it irrelevant by creating something that makes the norm obslete and outdated. My take is that this is something that is pretty universal; tall skinny girls with dark hair will never be replaced by homely women. That's just the way it is. That's what most people like to look at, for better or for worse. They just look good.

There are lots of pictures of girls that look like that because they are sexy and narcissistic. They are young and sexually charged. People like looking at them and they like to be looked at. It's highly self referential; photographers are looking for compelling shots, and these people want pictures taken of themselves. So it's sort of cannabalistic in that way. Everyone gets what they want.

But what is a hipster; you could be one, I could be one. It's the most generalized, nonspecific slander I can think of. It's something no one can really define, but is always being thrown around. The specifics of what that is are elusive. It seems to me that a hipster is something everyone else is.

To that end, I don't see "hipsters" as any kind of genuine or legitmate subculture. It's just young, typically white, upwardly mobile people. They don't really stand for anything except for irony and irreverence, being young, being out, doing cocaine in the bathroom. There are no set of values or aesthetics that can define them, which is exactly why so many are accused of being a hipster, it can apply to a lot of people.

You have to remember that very few people really take any chances with their art. So the "hipster aesthetic" is sort of in, and in a while it will be something else, and people will get sick of seeing that, and on and on it goes.

I mean, it can go to tattoos also. I see very few tattoos anymore that are new. Certain groups of people get the same kinds of tattoos and it gets played out very quickly. Comes n goes in waves and trends. In the 90's it was tribal stuff, biomech. Then it got really cartoony. Now it's sort of elevated neotraditional; girlheads, panthers, roses, etc. Sort of one dementional and sloppyclean, bold lines, colors. Eastcoast, and SF-ish stuff. Very popular, and I am sick of seeing it on everyone.

But you never get sick of seeing stuff you like, so it doesn't come off as repetitive to people who are into it.

Projections and speculations which are not always accurate. Mold was my amplified reflection word I used to try to see if the picture of the Asian girl with tattoos was different from the previous ones with complete intentions to try to get others, you included to contribute some photos. I post what people send to me along with what I find that are "appropriate" for this site with the intentions to evoke. Evocation is the purpose to stimulate conversation hence the tattoo forum, blogs, videos, and site. If one wished to contribute I say go right at it and contribute which I have tried to evoke from you Robin in this thread and anyone else anywhere as long as it is done respectfully and positively. I would love to see contributions organically grown from an LSTers perspective! Create Create Create rather than just discuss.

Keep the pictures and dialogue coming as it is intriguing!!!!!!

EDIT: Huero and Robin thanks for putting your thoughts out there like you have as they are enjoyed and respected!!

That's about as manly of a picture as I have ever seen.

By the way the guy on the left knocked out Scott's fish with his bare hand no tiny fishing bat for him. He said he's a boxer in Mexico and fuc'n showed it! I have a picture of that too but it may be too gory for some.

jeez, this has turned into a much more in depth conversation than i had hoped for...

oh and Rockel, nice try, but that's not really what i was meaning. this thread isn't about what i like anyways, i was just simply stating my opinion. this discussion is actually making me feel really uncomfortable, and i no longer feel that i want to further discuss my opinion publicly. if anyone would like to discuss this further privately, you can PM me.

• 2 months later...