Spell Check!

Reyeslv

I personally don't look at a stencil once it's put on. The tattooer knows if it looks good where it's been placed and will create a nice piece of work. However, I have never had any writing done as part of a piece. I would check writing.......

Olympic Tattoo Misspelled: Terri Peterson, 2012 Torch Bearer, Gets Embarrassing Ink Typo (VIDEO)

BTW, if this was somehow posted in the past, I apologize in advance :rolleyes:

If I were to get lettering I would check the stencil, knowing how to tattoo and being a good speller do not always go together. Clearly the tattoo that started this thread has way more things wrong with it than spelling as well.

I know someone personally who tattoos and has dyslexia. He has been battling it his whole life. When he started tattooing 20 years ago people weren't getting ridiculous amounts of script lettering on their ribs and it wasn't too hard to make sure a few words were spelled right.

Nowadays about 40percent of people that walk into his shop want lettering of some sort. He makes people write it down and check the stencil just because he knows he is apt to misspell a word especially when you are doing large amounts of lettering. Also if the customer misspells a word he may not catch it for the same reason. Needless to say I haven't seen him misspell anything but I have caught a few mistakes on stencils.

But he has does some of the cleanest traditional and black and grey work in town and even his lettering is super clean. I would rather have a mispelled tattoo by him than some shitty lettering spelled right.

• 5 months later...

I have one lettering tattoo and I spent months perfecting the lettering then triple checked the spelling when giving the artist what I wanted then checked the stencil several times. I am a terrible speller but I was not having "beleive" (seems to be the most popular screw up) on me. Spell check and/or friends are a MUST for wording tats.

I'm dsylexic as hell... gotta watch anything I do at work with CAD drawings like a hawk. I put text in places, will color code datum lines just so I don't flip something the wrong way.

My last back tat... I did the stencil artwork myself and added in a number at the bottom so I could tell if it was flipped. Of course the number was wiped off before the ink flowed...

Rob

Tattooed a guy one time that had stugglin' tattooed on his leg instead of struggilin". He and his buddies were joking about it the whole time I was working on him. So awesome how dude turned lemons into lemonade.

What am I missing here? Struggling/strugglin'//

• 3 months later...

we tattoo near a military foreign language school, we have tons of military getting tattoos in foreign languages. Its not that easy to spell check words in other languages. I had a guy walk out with what he thought was death before dishonor in chinese, he got to his class the following monday and his teacher asked him if he directly translated it from english because it said dishonor before death...whoopsie on his part

- - - Updated - - -

we tattoo near a military foreign language school, we have tons of military getting tattoos in foreign languages. Its not that easy to spell check words in other languages. I had a guy walk out with what he thought was death before dishonor in chinese, he got to his class the following monday and his teacher asked him if he directly translated it from english because it said dishonor before death...whoopsie on his part

• 3 months later...

I have "Still Ill" in script on my foot, and while Nervio was drawing it on he goes "How does that "E" go? Like this?" and mimed a few swooshes.

Nervio is a native Spanish speaker from Mexico and it took a few passes to realize that he meant "How does the "I" go?" and we got it sorted.

In retrospect I shouldn't have had the quasi-heart attack I had, but it's that much funnier for it.