Fat people with tattoos: Your thoughts

In my opinion, if an artist has an issue with your weight, they don't deserve your business or money anyway. If they went so far as to flinch, they probably deserve a smack upside the head before you exit the building. I have seen plenty of artists post back pieces done on larger folks; I really doubt it will be a problem.

I think body shaming, on either end of the spectrum, is one of the most disgusting things that people can do. Our society is so obsessed with political correctness, I don't understand why so many people think it's acceptable.

I totally agree. We now live in a rat-bastard society where it is accepted to bring someone down to feel better about yourself. I definitely am not the most PC person on the planet.

I was once 360 pounds. I can write a book about every type of scenario and the painful feelings you can imagine with regards to an overweight person. It has happened to me. Even at 230, I still have a good amount of those feelings no matter what people tell me.

Anyways, tattoos are cool to look at on anyone. :cool:

• 3 weeks later...
Omg panicking about my back session Monday. Looking at my fat back in the mirror and crying. Wishing it away isn't working so I'm just gonna have to meet this head on.

I was going to DM you, but I suppose this is universal.

I am not fat but was overweight for many years. I am older, and have the delightfully attractive back flaps. Not bad, but you know we obsess about things that we focus on more than others do, so of course, that's where my eyes went.

HOWEVER, I was/am amazingly delighted how my back tattoo hides them! My tattoo artist placed the long dorsal (top) fin of my eel right along that area, and it's gone! It even gives eel life in a way.

There is another thread somewhere around here - maybe it's actually this one or the ladies thread - that talks about tattoos as cosmetic surgery. I've also got the dreaded batwings - but I see women with some awesome upper arm tattoos, and you know what - the batwings end up so secondary to the tattoo. A tattoo completely changes what you and others focus on.

Try not to escalate it into something so encompassing. Believe me, when you get that tattoo, the focus is gonna be on the art, not on back fat.

Hugs.

i tell you what - i was putting off upper body work until my body looked the way i wanted it to - and then i was like - well shit - maybe this is as good as it gets - glad i decided to dive in as my upper body ink - especially torso - makes me enjoy what i see in the mirror more than ever - just go for it - aint none of us perfect looking

@jen7 I was always going to get a tattoo when I "earned it." Lost the weight, sold a book, etc, etc, etc. I'm still overweight, and have always hated my body, but I can't even tell you how lovely it is to look in the mirror and like something you see. Instead of just going out into the bedroom to dry off after a shower, and avoiding the Hugh Jass vanity mirror like the plague on the way in, I twist around to look at my lovely back every time. Seriously, it's like when they painted designs on those dolphins and gave them mirrors, and they just twirled around and admired themselves, haha!

It can be really hard to deliberately show people parts of yourself you don't like, or not think you're somehow a less desirable client because of your perceived flaws--and I don't always love the pics of my fat ass on instagram, ngl--but man, I am so glad I knuckled down and did it. I still get an upset stomach before my appointments, but it's so worth it.

@jen7 I just saw your back piece in the latest tattoo lowdown thread. I thought you said you were fat ;-)

My $0.02:

Our body image problems are just that: ours. We don't see ourselves the way others do and they don't see us the way we do. I'm a stay at home dad and the people I spend my time with are all women. If I ever wrote a blog, it would be called "Drinking Coffee With Other Mens' Wives." They're all in their thirties, fourties and fifties and they all have kids. I think they're all gorgeous but I know they wouldn't agree with me. I often joke with them that I have low standards because to me, all a woman needs is good personal hygiene and a smile.

For my part, I'm 6'2" tall (good) and weigh 280lbs (not so good). I'm pear shaped so while I have broad shoulders, I have an ass the size of Venus and a gut you could surf. Even when I lost 77lbs a couple of years ago (all since regained), I still had to buy my trousers from the right-hand end of the rack. It's not the body I'd choose but my friends all love me.

Love the skin you're in and get tattoos if that's what you want. Don't reward yourself for losing weight; most diets fail and what good does it do to deny yourself something that makes you happy? Get them now; you might get hit by a bus tomorrow.

I saw your recent photo and must comment that; a) the turtle is awesome! b) your back - you should not call it fat. It is curvy and seems to have great complexion. c) we have what genes give us. Sure there are reasons for some being overweight, but most of it is genetics. Love what you have. and d) the turtle is AWESOME!

@Tornado6 honestly I think tattoos have greatly helped my body image. I've always had some pounds to shed with some muscle but I hated how damn pale I am. Now at least I have color. Maybe think about that for your husband

I have a Dominican buddy who wishes he was as pale as me so he could get color work, he laughs when I tell him people always think I'm sick because I just don't have color.

@jen7 I really like your turtle. That is a lot of work for a first session. Not at all what I expected. I'm excited for your progress

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Has a client overweight or not for me personally is not important. Tattoos certainly pushing to have a toned body. On some slender body and picture looks nice but only due to the appearance of the type of object on which a pattern.

But as said above - a tattoo and of itself is a good decoration for any body.

Often heard the opinion that it is necessary first to bring the body into a slender look and people with excess weight does not need to do a tattoo - I think this opinion is wrong and unfair.

Fat people also want to wear on his body something beautiful. He also chooses beautiful clothes (Nobody would choose ugly clothes because he has overweight) and wants a beautiful tattoo. And that's fine and good :)

Not everyone can be for various reasons slim and toned but that's no reason not to do a tattoo if a person wants to do it.

• 2 weeks later...

I've been on both sides of this fence; tattooed as a very large person and tattooed at what "society" deems an average weight. Over the last five years I dropped about 100lbs. Not because I cared what people thought, being visibly tattooed and covered in skulls got me used to being judged. I got bad news and a stern warning from the doc that my single handed quest to keep the local microbrew industry profitable would result in my early departure from this planet. I was 275 at 5'10; not a result of lifting weights or the like but from drive thrus and numerous beers. And I thouroghly enjoyed every minute of it.

The media tells us what we should look like, especially for women. The pressure on young girls is sickening. Society sees us at face value only; very few go beyond the initial observation, but true friends and family will know the person not the packaging.

Get tattooed no matter what size you are. Wear them proud and own it. Being comfortable with yourself and not caring how those who don't know you look at you is one of the most freeing feelings there is.

• 4 months later...

I'm new here so apologise if this isn't the right thing, but I'm a fat girl who wants an inner upper arm tattoo (basically over my bicep?) and am very worried about being "too fat" or the area not being tattoo-able. Any of you guys got ink there and are able to reassure me it can work? Thanks!

As an aside, I love the huge positivity in this thread!

The way i see it, the bigger the person the bigger the canvas. The only thing that makes tattoos look bad is bad tattoos. If you want a full sleeve or a thigh piece or a back piece then you get one! Just make sure that you research a kickass artist who is going to do your artwork the justice it deserves.

My weight yoyo's, it always has done. Hasn't stop me having a rib piece, underboob tattoo and both thighs and it shouldn't stop you either!

Girl power!

I'm new here so apologise if this isn't the right thing, but I'm a fat girl who wants an inner upper arm tattoo (basically over my bicep?) and am very worried about being "too fat" or the area not being tattoo-able. Any of you guys got ink there and are able to reassure me it can work? Thanks!

As an aside, I love the huge positivity in this thread!

I have an inner bicep tattoo, and it worked out fine. "Too fat" isn't ever an issue I don't think, what would be more of an issue is very loose skin from weight loss. Looking forward to seeing your tattoo!