Fat people with tattoos: Your thoughts

Getting bigger tattoos is great advice; I don't know how many big guys I see at the gym with these tiny tribal bands or whatever that just look silly.

The only thing I would consider is whether you plan on staying your current size or if you plan on losing. If you plan on losing, I'd wait to tattoo areas that could see lots of stretch marks like belly/lower back/thighs until after you reach a target size. Either way, we're built to fall apart ;)

Gotta go big with tattoos if you're a big person. I'm 6' and 240 lbs, but am in the gym 3-4 days a week. So I have some mass to me. I'll still probably never do my rib area unless I was down to 210 or lower. I had an older tattoo on my forearm that was basically round. I added some muscle and it got to be more of an oval, so they will stretch. Bigger tattoos spread the stretch over a bigger area and shouldn't be as noticeable.

CG

I am not exactly on the thinner side and I like my tattoos. I think body size and shape only come into question for a good tattoo, when you are deciding on how big the tattoo should be and how it should flow. I think the problem is (and this is for people of all sizes), comes when people "just want a small" tattoo, when if they went a bit bigger it would flow better. A properly placed, scaled and executed tattoo will look amazing on someone of 100lbs or 400lbs.

Alright, I don't know how many of you have met my husband but he's a big guy. I'm not going to post his weight because I don't think he'd want me to. I also was at a shop this weekend with a tattooer who's even bigger than my guy, and we were all showing each other out tattoos, so lots of shirts offness.

Both of them have amazing tattoos by some of the best tattooers around. Both of them get to have these huge tattoos that I could never because they literally would not fit on my body at that size. And man, I sure am jealous! I don't know how many times I've said the phrase "Sometimes I wish I was fat so I could get more/bigger tattoos".

Like some of the other commenters, I also feel like tattooing can help you love the 'ugly' parts of your body. I may not be fat but we've all got parts we don't like on us. Remember even super models are photoshopped.

As far as actually putting a tattoo on a bigger person, it seems like it can be in places more difficult and in other places pretty easy. Stretch marks are harder to tattoo, but if you go to someone who's comfortable doing it and has done it before, you should have no issues once the tattoo is healed. They tend to puff up worse than normal skin and the needle can get snagged on the edge of a stretch mark while being tattooed, but like I said, if they know what they're doing, that won't happen and your tattoo will be as nice and on any other person.

I know a chick who weighed over 300 lbs at her heaviest. She is very heavily tattooed, I'm talking full solid jap style sleeves, legs pretty much covered and a few things on her torso. Over the course of about a year she lost at least 150 lbs. Her tattoos still look good, you can't really tell that they've shrunk unless you knew her before.

I wish I had noticed this earlier, but since my wife is a big girl I feel I should put in my thoughts. There's lots of stuff on facebook, instagram and tumblr with big girls with tattoos. My wife is working on getting more and more tattooed and I think it certainly enhances her beauty. She's avoided her upper arms so far, but the dude we've been working with the last year or so is pretty hefty himself and he's been working on talking her into it. I agree with a lot of what's been said so far, and it's interesting because she and I were just talking about this the other day. My points to her were about the same as what a few folks have said. I think bigger tattoos are probably a good idea and certainly make sure you get good work done.