Fat people with tattoos: Your thoughts

You'd be sitting on a gold mine, you should see the prices a 70's mama dress can pull in ebay these days

Well, I was never into dresses, but I do have a pretty nice stash of leather and suede-fronted knits, and some roach killers left, along with my original Cabretta.

I'm a fat woman covered in tattoos. I think if you want to get tattooed do it. Who cares what other people think anyway? My friend, and tattoo artist Kristel Oreto and I have started a page dedicated to fat women with tattoos. We are just as awesome as any other woman with tattoos.

Not to mention, I think my tattoos make me so much more comfortable with my body. Or at least I feel better about myself. :)

I can speak from personal experience on this subject. Over the years my weight ballooned to 17stone (238 lb.). I'm around 5ft 6". Didn't stop me getting tattooed in fact it made me feel different about my body. I was transformed from a fat bastard with a couple of tattoos to a fat bastard with a lot of nice tattoos. Great. However due to my size I did feel that getting a nice tattoo on my ribs was out of the question.

The change in my attitude towards my body has made me think more about the obvious health issues and after spending so much time under the needle I thought it would be a bit of a pisser to bow out early. So I lost around 56lbs and I got my rib tattoo. I've still got a little way to go and carrying all that excess weight has left me with a bad back, knees, type 2 diabetes and stretch marks (those areas I wouldn't get tattooed although I do know a tattooer who enjoys whip-shading stretch marks as he has a sticker by his work station stating so).

My only advise would be to choose a good tattooer, take advantage what you've got and get something a decent size. As for what other people think, fuck em.

who is said tattooer that likes to whip shade over stretch marks? i must see him/her if im ever in England. i have plenty that need to be tattooed over. hahahaha!!! its awesome to read this story from you Jade1955 and actually exactly what i needed to hear right about now as i seem to have hit a bit of a downward spiral in my own weight loss and fitness. you reminded me of the initial commitment i made to myself. thank you!

- - - Updated - - -

Like some of the other commenters, I also feel like tattooing can help you love the 'ugly' parts of your body. I may not be fat but we've all got parts we don't like on us. Remember even super models are photoshopped.

so so so true! i've lost a lot of weight thanks to my tattoos and getting tattooed 70lbs now. i love how they make me feel and im excited to show them off. of course as a lady my trouble areas are my butt and thighs. i now have 4 awesome tattoos on left thigh and i love my body even more because of them!

I'm a fat woman covered in tattoos. I think if you want to get tattooed do it. Who cares what other people think anyway? My friend, and tattoo artist Kristel Oreto and I have started a page dedicated to fat women with tattoos. We are just as awesome as any other woman with tattoos.

Not to mention, I think my tattoos make me so much more comfortable with my body. Or at least I feel better about myself. :)

Post up a link to the page when you get a chance, I'd love to see it.

CG

who is said tattooer that likes to whip shade over stretch marks? i must see him/her if im ever in England. i have plenty that need to be tattooed over. hahahaha!!! its awesome to read this story from you Jade1955 and actually exactly what i needed to hear right about now as i seem to have hit a bit of a downward spiral in my own weight loss and fitness. you reminded me of the initial commitment i made to myself. thank you!

- - - Updated - - -

so so so true! i've lost a lot of weight thanks to my tattoos and getting tattooed 70lbs now. i love how they make me feel and im excited to show them off. of course as a lady my trouble areas are my butt and thighs. i now have 4 awesome tattoos on left thigh and i love my body even more because of them!

I never made the connection until now, but I did the same thing. After getting my first 2 tattoos I started eating bettter so that I could drop a few kilos and not be embarrassed to take my shirt off in public. Although I was never fat (just had love handles) so I can't say I know how some of the people in this thread really feel.

In short: get tattoos if you want to lose weight?

• 5 months later...
Wow, I opened this expecting a ton of fat hate. I am just starting a major weight lost journey and a major back piece is what I'm planning as a reward for losing the 100 pounds I need to lose. This has been something I've been worried about since I have 3 other tattoos I want to get done over the next year.

Good luck with your journey. I lost 50 pounds three years ago and have kept it off. It's daunting at first, but stick with it and you will achieve your goal.

I think bigger tattoos are always better. If you want to get tattooed, go for it... and get a great artist. Good tattoos only enhance your beauty. Own your body-- don't let anyone ever tell you that you are ugly or you shouldn't do something because of your weight/appearance. All that matters is that you are happy.

Wow, I opened this expecting a ton of fat hate. I am just starting a major weight lost journey and a major back piece is what I'm planning as a reward for losing the 100 pounds I need to lose. This has been something I've been worried about since I have 3 other tattoos I want to get done over the next year.

Good luck. I lost 25 before Christmas and am planning to lose 20 more before I start my next big piece at the end of March.

I'm also in the losing weight with a tattoo reward camp. I'm currently at least 50lbs overweight. At 6'3" I carry it well while clothed but shirtless is a different story. My two arm tattoos have already increased my confidence. My goal for 2013 is to drop 50lbs of fat and replace a bit of it with muscle (the scale is irrelevant to me, really, but I think that would be about right to really improve my appearance).

I'm planning a road trip to Texas around Novemberish and if I can drop the weight a visit to Austin and Mr. Steve Byrne will be in order. Epic chest piece? Yes, please.

• 2 weeks later...