Fat people with tattoos: Your thoughts

Don't think it matters as most everyone here does. I am a connoisseur of the thick framed ladies myself, so when I see an attractive thicker woman w/some good tattoos, she's automatically more attractive to me. There's a heavy set woman who I saw working at a Chipotle, average looks, had nice bold work done all over her arms, instantly became more appealing to me. To each is their own.

Well, thinking about it, no fat person, or as big as I am, will get their stomach or full back done...

Thomas Hooper/Chris O'Donnell collaborative tattoo on a big belly:

residual self image, Got to start this today. Collaboration with...

Your size should never prevent you from getting the tattoos you want to get.

I think, as long as it's quality work, tattoos will fine on big people. And I think definitely go big, but then, small tattoos that don't fill the space they're in annoy me. I think, especially as a heavy person, getting something that makes you proud of your body is a good thing! And good tattoos would do that, I'd think. Shoot I"m overweight, and every tattoo I get makes me feel more beautiful:)

I think, as long as it's quality work, tattoos will fine on big people. And I think definitely go big, but then, small tattoos that don't fill the space they're in annoy me. I think, especially as a heavy person, getting something that makes you proud of your body is a good thing! And good tattoos would do that, I'd think. Shoot I"m overweight, and every tattoo I get makes me feel more beautiful:)

Opposite side of the coin...

I'm skinny, too skinny according to some. Fuck those people that think you're too fat, too skinny, etc.

Nice Tattoos can do a lot for your own self image. When you really feel good about yourself it can change the way the rest of the world sees you.

in my honest opinion, I think it shouldn't matter. Most people with tattoos I've talked to tell me that they come from inspiration, dark times in their lives, great times, and experiences. I think an obese person should get whatever tattoo they want based on their experiences. Isn't that the point of a tattoo? Sharing / expressing your experiences with others?

• 2 weeks later...

A tattoo is a beautiful thing, regardless of who has it.

It's your keepsake and its for you, not the world.

And just like fashion, beauty, and countless other things; It really comes down to taste level and attitude.

If you get something tacky then its not going to look good regardless the size you are.

• 3 weeks later...

I had to join the site to thank you for this thread. I have been trying to decide for some time where & what size to get my first tattoo. I'm old, fat, & not especially attractive. I've been wanting a tattoo for a long time, and have known for a while what it is I want. But, the size and placement has held me back. I have been thinking of getting it small, worrying about what people would think. Which is really ridiculous. I don't worry about what people think of me, as Popeye would say, "I am what I am". Thanks for helping reinforce the decision that was in the back of my head the whole time.

I had to join the site to thank you for this thread. I have been trying to decide for some time where & what size to get my first tattoo. I'm old, fat, & not especially attractive. I've been wanting a tattoo for a long time, and have known for a while what it is I want. But, the size and placement has held me back. I have been thinking of getting it small, worrying about what people would think. Which is really ridiculous. I don't worry about what people think of me, as Popeye would say, "I am what I am". Thanks for helping reinforce the decision that was in the back of my head the whole time.

let the tattooer help you make the decision on size and placement if youre worried about you old skin. go for it and enjoy!

I've always been overweight, chubby or fat.

I have both arms covered and quite a bit of each leg tattooed - I love my tattoos. And beautiful tattoos look great on any size body!

From a personal standpoint, it is simply my vanity and insecurity that has kept me from getting my back, buttocks and ribs tattooed-- and that is because I wouldn't be comfortable naked in front of most people. My husband ( who is a tattooer will most probably be the one to tattoo my back and sides)

As a tattooer, I like big people with big tattoos and small people with big tattoos too>

Best of luck

• 1 year later...

Yet another body-positive thread. This forum makes me feel warm and fuzzy :-)

Can I ask a dumb question wrt thighs. Specifically, lady thighs that are prone to cellulite in the not so distant future (thanks mum!). How would tattoos be affected? Would developing cellulite ruin a thigh tattoo or would the tattoo hide it to some extent? Presumably something geometric might go a little wonky, but would something more organic hold up?

Yet another body-positive thread. This forum makes me feel warm and fuzzy :-) Can I ask a dumb question wrt thighs. Specifically' date=' lady thighs that are prone to cellulite in the not so distant future (thanks mum!). How would tattoos be affected? Would developing cellulite ruin a thigh tattoo or would the tattoo hide it to some extent? Presumably something geometric might go a little wonky, but would something more organic hold up?[/quote']

Not a dumb question @growltiger! Soo cellulite...I already have it (and so do most all women)(including the hot tattooed ones!) and I'm just 30 (although I do have a bday next month ;)). If you check out most recent pics of my leg tattoo (and I know you did! ;)) you will see there is cellulite aplenty on my legs. How are the tattoos affected? If I'm standing in a way that showcases the cellulite, the tattoos get dimpled and maybe look a little warped. Again referencing that pic, I was swollen (and standing) in such a way that the dimples were emphasized - but guess what, tattoo still looks awesome!

Look at the healed orange peony above the waterfall - still some dimples but still fucking bad ass and awesome. In my personal (and sometimes humble ;)) opinion.

My mom and her friends are into plastic surgery and injections and stuff (hey, looks like body mods run in the fam? ;)), and over Christmas the drunk ladies hustled me into a bedroom and pulled off my clothes (a story for another time ;)) and their instant reaction (aside from their initial shock and awe - this was in Oklahoma City, OK - they do not have tattoos like the kind I have there and had NEVER seen anything like it) was:

"Oh, I can see how those cover up some problem areas, maybe I should get some...?"

So old ladies who are super body conscious and not into tattoos did not attack me for being cellulitey and having the balls to feel awesome and get tattooed - in fact, they saw it as a positive addition to my body.

To you I say: get a huge ass thigh tattoo and be proud and aware of how awesome and sexy it makes you. End story. Fuck cellulite and being fat as limiting factors - they aren't. Traditional, Japanese, geometric - whatev floats your boat. My one suggestion is to make it BIG.

And as another note on this thread: I did struggle for a time thinking I wasn't cool or pretty enough for tattoos. I don't even know why that thought was ever in my head - who the fuck decides?? I remember getting my first larger, visible piece on my forearm and thinking that people were gonna call me out - like how dare I pretend, or something. I wasn't even aware of how pervasive these thoughts were until i stopped having them bc of other work I was doing to improve my mental outlook etc.

So if you have a script in your head that is anything like that, change it! It works!

My mom and her friends are into plastic surgery and injections and stuff (hey, looks like body mods run in the fam? ;)), and over Christmas the drunk ladies hustled me into a bedroom and pulled off my clothes (a story for another time ;)) and their instant reaction (aside from their initial shock and awe - this was in Oklahoma City, OK - they do not have tattoos like the kind I have there and had NEVER seen anything like it) was:

"Oh, I can see how those cover up some problem areas, maybe I should get some...?"

So old ladies who are super body conscious and not into tattoos did not attack me for being cellulitey and having the balls to feel awesome and get tattooed - in fact, they saw it as a positive addition to my body.

This is great! And kinda relates to something my artist did a couple months ago. I'm not heavy, but did carry some extra poundage for some years, and I'm older. So I've got the start of some sagging in my mid back - you know where I mean. So he was placing the stencil for a moray eel on my lower back and the shape of the eel was similar to the contour of my back there. And I jokingly said, how about moving the eel up a little? :-) Well, by the time he got it where he wanted it, it worked perfectly! The top dorsal fin of an eel is kind of wrinkly compared to its body, and heck, that's sure fitting the tattoo to the body, right? LOL!

Get a great tattoo! Go in and tell them if you want to hide anything or accentuate anything - your mom and her friends were on to something!