Input on possible designs?

Howdy!

So in the dreaded wait to be tattooed thread i said my grandmother wanted a heart or a butterfly tattooed with her name. And while I wont have the money to be tattooed until about November or so, I decided to ask you what you guys thought about my possible ideas.

624947_f520.jpg

I would want them redrawn but as a basic template I fucking love the dagger, heart and snake. However idk if that is what my grandma would want, so the heart with the white flower would problably be something she would like. And yes I took them from google but would have my artist redraw them with his style. i know this is like putting the cart before the horse but i am just anticipating it.

Lol i plan on reigning myself in so I am not like those people who always talk about their next design and yadda yadda yadda but never seem to get it. I just found this and got excited with the possibility.

Oh and excuse my blind typing error

With classic designs like you are looking at there really isn't a "wrong answer" in my opinion.

The following work in any combination:

Hearts

Snakes

Daggers

Butterflies

Roses

I always like a good rose, you can never have enough snakes and daggers rule! In the end never forget that this is a tattoo on you so make sure you don't get something that you don't really like, while I know you have outside influences make sure you are sold on it too. Maybe if she thinks the snake/dagger/rose is too "tough" of an image, maybe just keep one of the the two (snake or dagger). Dagger through the heart is a killer look for sure. Butterflies are a bit different since there is a bit more "going on" and you can have a bit more fun with color. My friend (who does not want his tattoos posted) just got a killer looking butterfly done recently (blues and purples).

Just go with some Sailor Jerry flash if you're looking for the classic "love" tattoo, I have one myself!

I would recommend against the snake though, maybe a dagger through a heart with yr grammy's name or something? I dunno, my Grandma died a few years ago and I want a memorial tattoo but don't really want to think of her when I look at a snake, not exactly a positive association IMO.

My favorite piece of flash of all time has to be one that was on the wall of the original CLiff Raven Tattoos (CTC) at 900 w. Belmont. Drunken floozy, from the shoulders up, Dixie Cup on her head, x's for eyes, a bottle in each hand, said "My Country Right or Wrong-My Mother Drunk or Sober".

Swear to god, couldn't make that up! Dale claimed he had put it on a few guys over the years, wonder if it survived, or??? Hafta ask Nick next time I see him, I know he's got a shitload of Cliff's old flash.

- - - Updated - - -

624947_f520.jpg

I'd go with the SAT CONG for sure!!!!!!!!!!!!!! My feelings exactly!

i think the panther is over played... and kinda stupid in my own opinion. everyone has the traditonal panther that is like super conceptual and old timey looking... idk i just feel like its played out.

Unlike, say, a heart with a banner?

I'll just echo what many before me have said, which is that classic designs are classic for a reason. They've stood the test of time and work well as tattoos.

i think the panther is over played... and kinda stupid in my own opinion. everyone has the traditonal panther that is like super conceptual and old timey looking... idk i just feel like its played out.

What is super conceptual about a gnarly panther? And why is "old timey looking" a bad thing? I mean, obviously don't get that because it's clearly not what you want, but I just don't get that logic.

SOme would say the word Delicious is overplayed, and would rather hear words like Yummy, or tasty...truth is Delicious is a classic way of stating all the above. And... the word is suitable for all occasions, kinda like a traditional design.

well just everyone and there mother seems to be getting panthers tattooed. im not a huge fan. to each their own

I have not one panther tattoo on me... But, you're right to each their own, and when you find something you like and it feels right, none of this malarky/ jibber jabber/ opinions/ stuff will matter...

And I will quote my ole Man, " Just because it's a traditional design doesn't mean it has to be ugly, or dumbed down", Richard Stell

Make it what you want, but don't going calling it "Neo-traditional", or Neo Trad, that's a whole 'nother oxymoron I don't feel like even touching. As well as "New School, new school means that you would rather skip learning the traditional steps to the tattoo dance and show up do your own "walk like an egyptian", and call it new school.

You can't do the tattoo dance if you don't learn the steps first.

Non sequitor. Sorry.

Panthers are played out? But heart with dagger/banner/lettering/flowers isn't?

One of the dumbest comments I've seen on here.

Hunny, more people are walking into shops getting hearts with banners than fucking awesome panthers.

You seem like a nice girl but comments like that are gonna get people all up in your ass about it. Go look at some Mike Wilson or Bob Roberts or Richard Stell panthers and tell us more about how played out they are.....

p.s. Delicious is about the most common heavy girl name I've heard. Just saying'.

it's cause of a joke i made my senior year of high school.

and i have no problem with other people getting them, i just think that for me i dont like them.

and sorry if i offended anyone. it was just my personal opinion. maybe it's because i never saw a panther tattoo i liked. i didnt mean to be a dick about it

well just everyone and there mother seems to be getting panthers tattooed. im not a huge fan. to each their own

That would be awesome if my mom had a panther tattoo!

Edit: I just realized your anti-panther remarks were in response to something I wrote. I was (mostly) joking... but seriously though, try liking panthers harder.

Edited by jacobhh
Panthers

it's cause of a joke i made my senior year of high school.

and i have no problem with other people getting them, i just think that for me i dont like them.

and sorry if i offended anyone. it was just my personal opinion. maybe it's because i never saw a panther tattoo i liked. i didnt mean to be a dick about it

Ok, so how about an animal that represents your grandma/ family better? I think horse tattoos are awesome, but I've never been on one in my life. That being said, I've never ridden a dragon, either (literally anyway; figuratively, sure :rolleyes:), but I have one. I want a jaguar thigh panel ( @Jennifer Stell- hoping ya'll are in town in the Fall:)) and we just decided to go to Belize for our honeymoon where they have a jaguar sanctuary and the Temple of the Jaguar at Tikal.

Long story short, do what makes sense to you- it made sense to the people rockin' panthers.

I think you should have worded this response differently, especially because it is contradicting your other posts.

You start off the tread looking at traditional tattoos. When most people think of tattoos the "banner in a heart" is probably the most common one people think of. The flash you posted first showed a strong interest in very traditional tattoos, so you got responses of very traditional tattoos. If you posted portraits we would have responded with portraits, if you posted tribal, we would have posted tribal, etc, etc.

The fact that the traditional tattoo imagery is still being used today is a testament that the images hold true today as they did in the far past. I can tell you one thing from my experience. The most "original" tattoo I have is the one I like the least. Strong images that have been perfected over decades or longer have had time to mature. (Think good aged wine instead of moonshine).

This is a forum that leans toward the traditional styles (Asian and Western) more than other styles.

When asking strangers for advice, please, please, please, be nice to them. There is no quicker way to get dismissed than to insult people. This community has helped teach me and direct me, and I hope others can get the same experience.

Also....PANTHERS RULE!

Well I didnt attack anyone personally, I just really dont like panther tattoos, and thats my opinion. I have no problem with others getting them, and I picked the banner in the heart because its what she wanted.... not me. I asked my grandma what she liked at that was it, well that or butterflies.

So once again, sorry if I offended anyone, not intentional, I know I could have worded my opinion better