dari

Don't know if any of youse ever look at Yelp.com, it's kinda a local review site, if yer looking for a place to eat, or like that. Anyhow, CTC was reviewd on it, and someone posted a review talking about how great the work is, and what a righteous shop it is, but how they won't be back 'cause the tattooer they used didn't "bond" with them...

fuck me.

I love reading Yelp reviews for tattoo shops. Favorites include a review of Saved that remarked on how the tattooers consider themselves artists there but they don't even know who Nan Goldin is, and one of State of Grace that was about how great the shop is, how the work is all first rate but that they would have to give it four stars instead of five because it isn't in San Francisco.

I love reading Yelp reviews for tattoo shops. Favorites include a review of Saved that remarked on how the tattooers consider themselves artists there but they don't even know who Nan Goldin is, and one of State of Grace that was about how great the shop is, how the work is all first rate but that they would have to give it four stars instead of five because it isn't in San Francisco.

Makes sense to me.

Seriously the Nan Goldin yelp review is one of my all-time favourites. We quote it at each other sometimes. Saved Tattoo - Williamsburg - North Side - Brooklyn, NY

here's one sent to the facebook page for our shop. mind you, at this studio we all take our own appointments and nobody is in charge. management is completely hands off. "Hey there, looking to get a half sleeve based on the solar system. In dresden so not far from berlin till the end of February. Any chance this would be possible?" i don't reply to things like this, it hurts my head to try to figure out how this could work.

here's one sent to the facebook page for our shop. mind you, at this studio we all take our own appointments and nobody is in charge. management is completely hands off. "Hey there, looking to get a half sleeve based on the solar system. In dresden so not far from berlin till the end of February. Any chance this would be possible?" i don't reply to things like this, it hurts my head to try to figure out how this could work.

Whomever manages your facebook account should respond to this, in some form or fashion.

Not everyone is familiar with how your shop runs its business, so if a potential client is contacting your shop, someone should respond w\ your shops protocol for making appointments etc.

I know tattoo shops have a different business model and typically different clientelle, but if you have a facebook page - that is now a part of your shops business.

thanks for telling me how to do my business. just because you write to someone doesn't mean you get a reply.

Not telling you how to run your business, run it how you please.

I just see this as a potential revenue stream for your shop.

It is an omni channel business strategy that the rest of the world is moving toward.

well, it's not my shop. and i'm interested in making tattoos, not having a revenue stream.

ihren Tattowieren sind kostenlos?

If you are in business, and you want to tattoo people and continue to be in business, it's probably best to respond when someone wants to make an appointment.

That said, I THINK the attitude towards e-mail is different in Europe than it is here. Here, I would have no qualms about sending an e-mail to a shop asking if they could fit me in within a few months. And if I didn't get an answer, I'd have no hesitation about writing again, or failing that, calling them. That's business. If they refused to answer, no problem, I'd just go somewhere else. In contrast, when I e-mail my partners in Germany, they will at times take up to a week to respond.

Personally, I always figured if I work for someone, whether it's digging ditches or writing papers, I should work for them. Whatever benefits the company benefits me. Sounds like you should find a different shop to work in.

BrianKelley, this one from Loxodrom's guestbook is even better...

Hi

Ich bin vom 21. 08-35.08.12 in Berlin und möchte mir ein Tattoo stechen lassen. Das Tattoo soll ziemlich klein werden und ich denke es fällt unter den Mindestpreis, wie hoch ist dieser bei euch? Bin aus der Schweiz. Seid ihr sehr ausgebucht wegen einem möglichen Termin?

Laurence

@fourtotheflush while it would be nice if you got a response I realize that tattooers or any business has a preferred method of communication whether it be email, phone, etc. Facebook would probably not be the best as it is usually just a advertisement to the shop.

@briankelly agreed that is a weird way to try and get an appointment but some people just don't know how it works.

@Dan S I've noticed in my business (I deal with client relationship stuff as well) that everyone has a preferred method and there is no rhyme or reason to which is the "best". Some tattooers (a good portion) accept email only, even to the point if you show up to the shop they hand you a business card with an email address (hell I could SEE the tattooer and they said...email). Some others never respond to email and you have to call the shop directly to get a response. Then the last method which I have also have experienced is you must walk to the shop and talk in person otherwise you will just slip through the cracks.

Even though I deal with new clients myself, even if they call me or talk face-to-face I always say email me otherwise they will never be in my queue. That's simply how I keep track. @fourtotheflush, even though all people reaching out are potential clients doesn't mean that anybody in the client facing position has to respond to every inquiry.

Basically I agree and disagree.

to clarify, i don't think the non-tattooers understood. the girl wants a half sleeve based on the solar system (whatever that means) finished in about a month. she also lives several hours outside of berlin, meaning she will need to make one 5 hour trip just to talk about it and try to work out a plan. people with this sort of vague idea usually do not understand what sort of commitment getting a big tattoo is. i am interested in making nice tattoos for money, not making money making crap tattoos. and i do tattoo for free, but only on friends. and yes, dan. that one on the guestbook is pretty good, but i don't read german. i also fully disagree that if someone wants a tattoo that automatically means i have to reply to them.

Brian, you mean to tell me you wouldn't tattoo a completely correct solar system betwixt an elbox and a shoulder in an hour or two?!?!?!?!?

I never even figured on someone actually doing it, but to just answer someone, yeah.

But hey-if ya don't need the work, or if it's totally off-the-wall, jok 'em if they can't take a ficke!

to clarify, i don't think the non-tattooers understood. the girl wants a half sleeve based on the solar system (whatever that means) finished in about a month. she also lives several hours outside of berlin, meaning she will need to make one 5 hour trip just to talk about it and try to work out a plan. people with this sort of vague idea usually do not understand what sort of commitment getting a big tattoo is. i am interested in making nice tattoos for money, not making money making crap tattoos. and i do tattoo for free, but only on friends. and yes, dan. that one on the guestbook is pretty good, but i don't read german. i also fully disagree that if someone wants a tattoo that automatically means i have to reply to them.

Yea I wasn't referring specifically to your post, just to others in general. I agree with you. I remember my own foolish request when I started with "How much is a sleeve", etc.

• 2 months later...

Just for fun-- I have one more Ive noticed as of late,

please stop bringing in your pizza, burritos, hamburger, fries... etc

Eat before coming into the shop. I don't want to smell your onions or pick up after you or collect your garbage.

Is it just me, or does anyone else find this to be really strange behavior?

I don't bring pancakes into the salon when I go to get my hair done. COME ON PEOPLE.

Lol @Erica, I brought a soda but that was it. I left to get my lunch, and actually brought back lunch for the guy who did my tattoo, he gave us money to grab him something while we were out before he started my friend's tattoo... so not quite what you are saying, but i can understand why you'd feel that way