Tiger tattoos

Lochlan

• 4 months later...

A couple of questions: I'm getting a tiger on the outside of my lower right arm. Why are all the tigers snarling? I like the expression on this one - confident, but ready to do what needs doing: my insert image from my computer is still greyed out -anyone know why? I'll wait for a reply before putting it up in my gallery (which has no place to put pics of real animals, I guess I'll put it in animals later.

My second question - er 4th - but second tattoo question. I'm such a nooby, please don't laugh. If I decide to have the full body on my forearm, is the tiger going up or down my arm? I've looked through the gallery, but can't tell where the elbows and wrists are! If it is just the head, I think the chin is towards my hand?

A couple of questions: I'm getting a tiger on the outside of my lower right arm. Why are all the tigers snarling? I like the expression on this one - confident, but ready to do what needs doing: my insert image from my computer is still greyed out -anyone know why? I'll wait for a reply before putting it up in my gallery (which has no place to put pics of real animals, I guess I'll put it in animals later.

My second question - er 4th - but second tattoo question. I'm such a nooby, please don't laugh. If I decide to have the full body on my forearm, is the tiger going up or down my arm? I've looked through the gallery, but can't tell where the elbows and wrists are! If it is just the head, I think the chin is towards my hand?

They're all snarling because that generally just looks more awesome. :)

As for which way the tiger goes, it can go either way, but there's a different design for each direction. I think you more often see animals going up a forearm though (head by your elbow). If you're going to a quality artist they will know what to do.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Because tigers are fierce, aggressive, and lethal - lords of the jungle. And have been revered as such by pretty much every civilization which has lived alongside them. A lot of people just want their tiger tattoos to look that way; to represent those traits. Nothing wrong with having one that looks calm or poised - get it however you want it to look, no rules against that.

Second answer: Doesn't matter whether it is going up or down, whichever way you think looks better. And yes, if you get just the head then the proper position would be for its chin to be facing your hand.

To catch up with everyone nice enough to answer (I’ve been traveling today), Thanks

“Shaun1105 : They're all snarling because that generally just looks more awesome.

sighthound: Because tigers are fierce, aggressive, and lethal - lords of the jungle.”

Yes, I can see the point – will consider those elements for a fierce looking one.

polliwog - really pretty, but not quite what I’m looking for – I’m wanting a different expression, more like that of TrixieFaux – yeah I saved that one to think about!

Graeme – I’m still looking through the ukiyo-e tigers – really like them, too.

exume and Graeme – thanks for reminding me – I really love his episodes – I wish the Japan 2 would come out.

Thanks to all of you – I have more research to do – and, of course, my artist will be the final determiner – I have a very small arm and it has a couple of tattoos coming over from the one on my inner arm. So, I’m going to let him decide how to best place it.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

As I said in another thread, I was in the shop today looking at some Lehi flash for a little filler. At one point, I pointed at one of the Lehi tiger heads from his 03 flash set and said, "Fuck it, I should probably just get that on my hand." Without missing a beat, my buddy says, "Everyone should get that on their hand."

I didn't (stupid job). But I will get it somewhere.

• 3 months later...
  • 2 months later...

may2015totm_thumb.jpg

hundahl at oklahoma tattoo convention, drawn on, he did another tiger on a forearm before me on a cool guy that was killer and I thought about saying" man i will take a similar style and add a snake and be stoked" but just let him do his thing and I got a totally different look than what I pictured and couldnt be happier. He is a definitely someone to get a tattoo from and honestly I see him doing atleast one limb in the future if he is down. I originally thought my limbs would be one shots that i worry about tying together as I went but I am leaning towards asking him to do my whole left leg when time comes

• 1 month later...

Here is my completed tiger by Tracy Lambright. We'll wrap the leg with a dragon later so he left plenty of negative space. It is one week old and in the peeling stage so it hasn't really settled in yet. I'll get a better photo when it isn't raining and the tattoo completely heals. The florescent lights messed up the yellow ink in the photo for some reason.

20701645634_4004a7e74e_c.jpg

I may have him put some white in and around the eyes later.

I'll add old Tigger on the other calf to my post. I had a hard time getting it in focus and with enough light. He'll soon be getting company on that leg.

20702130254_bab22890a5_n.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Hello,

Soon I'm geting my first tattoo. I want a 3/4 sleeve of tiger fighting with snake transitioning on my chest in a traditional japanese style.

I want to ask did this kind of match is acceptable?

Can I put some maple leafs and a chrysantemum? Tiger as i know represents Autumn and it will be main theme of my peace.

I often see japanese slevees without any concept people just put everything together, koi, hannya, dragons, waves, clouds on one arm and it doesn't look nice.

I want to have Japanese tattoo closest to the rules.

Hello,

Soon I'm geting my first tattoo. I want a 3/4 sleeve of tiger fighting with snake transitioning on my chest in a traditional japanese style.

I want to ask did this kind of match is acceptable?

Can I put some maple leafs and a chrysantemum? Tiger as i know represents Autumn and it will be main theme of my peace.

I often see japanese slevees without any concept people just put everything together, koi, hannya, dragons, waves, clouds on one arm and it doesn't look nice.

I want to have Japanese tattoo closest to the rules.

I'm not an expert on this, but chrysanthemums bloom in the fall so they should work with maples. Tiger versus snake is an excellent subject. My back is of a tiger fighting a snake with falling maples and water, so I totally think you're on the right path here.

Have you found an artist to do the tattoo yet? Your ideas are great and I think should work really well but if you want to have things done close to the rules, it's absolutely essential that you go to somebody who knows how to properly do Japanese or Japanese-style tattoos because the rules to this stuff are complicated and, as you said, if it isn't done well it doesn't look nice.

Yes I found an artist who makes japanese tattoo and have a lot of expierience in it. He said that he like my idea. But he suggest me that the tiger is not only symbol of autumn but also a wind so the background should be classical japanese clouds not waves.

Everyone think that geting tattoo is easy but when u want to make it right and when it means something it's difficult.

Yes I found an artist who makes japanese tattoo and have a lot of expierience in it. He said that he like my idea. But he suggest me that the tiger is not only symbol of autumn but also a wind so the background should be classical japanese clouds not waves.

Everyone think that geting tattoo is easy but when u want to make it right and when it means something it's difficult.

The snake's element is water though so if you're doing tiger v. snake it would work thematically. In any case, I've seen tiger tattoos by Japanese masters that have water in them so I don't know how strict the rule is about what animal should be paired with what kind of background, or when/how it is appropriate to bend rules and conventions. But, like I said before, I'm not an expert on any of this.

Agreed about it being difficult if you want to do things right though, and my advice to you is to take your time, do your research, and learn as much as you can and don't rush into getting the tattoo until you're ready. It's worth spending the time and effort into deepening your knowledge and you will get better tattoos as a result.