August 2012 Best Tattoo of the Month Contest

Lochlan

I got the first part of my phoenix rising tattoo this past weekend. It was my first tattoo. We sat for 5 hours and it's safe to say I have the bug and can't wait for more big pieces.

I will be going to finish up with the coloring (red, yellow , orange) for the flames with blue/purple clouds beyond for some dimension.

Artist: Justin Jakus - Black Diamond Tattoo (Venice, CA) - He had a very light hand and all in all great experience for my first time. I will be getting it colored September 1st so I hope I can show you all the finished product.

Another piece by @Nick Colella of CTC, one-day notice to get it. Far as he can figure, Tom Berg did the flash in the thirties, and it's been on the wall fo the shop for some decades...

First step in filling in the rest of my left arm, and it should work. I have some very old western-style stuff like a panthers head on that arm, as well as some fairly old (1982-1984) Jap style work, so we have to kinda get a blending going on. Thought this piece did that well. There will be one more fairly major piece, and then fill.

Pix aren't the best, but you get the idea....I know this isn't the most rad and popluar styling, but hey, old flash for an old guy!

LadynDragon1.jpg

LadynDragon2.jpg

Background of the shop is kinda kool, too.

that fucking rules(nick's tattoos are great)....i want a dragon like that.

Yeah, can't really put my finger on what it is, but it just looks total old-skool to me.

While I was there, a young Lady was waiting to be tattooed by Nick, had an appointment an all that. Said she was from San Diego? Anyhow, that was where she ahd heard about Nick, so I guess people are getting hip to him...bout time!

Had some colour put in on both sides of my chest yesterday and to be honest I was not looking forward to it at all, lucky for me the pain was no where near as bad as I was expecting, still hurt like a f....r though.

I think that part if the trick is thinking in advance that it's going to be horrible. Then the reality is that it just sucks without being unbearable.

Another piece by @Nick Colella of CTC, one-day notice to get it. Far as he can figure, Tom Berg did the flash in the thirties, and it's been on the wall fo the shop for some decades...

First step in filling in the rest of my left arm, and it should work. I have some very old western-style stuff like a panthers head on that arm, as well as some fairly old (1982-1984) Jap style work, so we have to kinda get a blending going on. Thought this piece did that well. There will be one more fairly major piece, and then fill.

Pix aren't the best, but you get the idea....I know this isn't the most rad and popluar styling, but hey, old flash for an old guy!

LadynDragon1.jpg

LadynDragon2.jpg

Background of the shop is kinda kool, too.

Gotta love nicks work... headed that way again soon

@Dan S now that is a awesome tattoo. Every time you post up a new one it makes me want to go out and get another!

Thanks man...I know 'ZACTLY what you mean!

Right now I'm going back n forth with my cousin-in-law in Moscow to see if there is any way I can figure to get a piece from Den Yakovlev...guys stuff is just too trip.

- - - Updated - - -

I think that part if the trick is thinking in advance that it's going to be horrible. Then the reality is that it just sucks without being unbearable.

I've also found that with ribwork especially, a 7.5 Vicodin washed down with 5mg of Valium is really not even horrible...

First step in filling in the rest of my left arm, and it should work. I have some very old western-style stuff like a panthers head on that arm, as well as some fairly old (1982-1984) Jap style work, so we have to kinda get a blending going on.

LadynDragon1.jpg

LadynDragon2.jpg

Nick did an awesome job of blending the new colors to the old! Can't wait to see what they come up with to finish off that arm.

...and I do believe the wings are on the Lady. It may not be real obvious in the photos that Dan posted, but the proportions are all wrong for the wings to be on the dragon.