Aging realism and what lasts

This has given me entirely too much to think about, but I am thankful for the education. I am a newbie, I would say, (20 years old, 5 tattoos, only 2 of substantial size), and I favor the realism style. I am thinking I will have to find a middle ground with my future tattoos because its not that I DISLIKE traditional by any means, it just wasn't the path I intended to take. I must admit, I am probably guilty of drooling over pictures taken of realism style tattoos the day they were finished and holding in my head that "MINE CAN LOOK LIKE THAT TOO!".... yeah.... for a couple years....

I would be curious to see photos of tattoos that sort of fall in between realism and traditional. Or perhaps I have seen many examples and just don't know what to label that particular style. Again, newbie, sorry!

While I'm here, could I trouble some of the knowledgeable ones to identify a style for me? It would be greatly appreciated. I have attached a picture of a "look" I'm rather fond of. Sort of water-color ish, not really? Iddddkkkk. Also, feel free to comment on the expected "lifespan" of those particular tattys.

Thanks guys!

@Patrick Bateman I wouldn't say all realism will age like crap, just most. I would suggest watching this site's newest interview with Brian Bruno and Mike Rennie: Brian Bruno & Mike Rennie Tattoo Artist Interview Video

In it there is a good discussion on the craft of doing things like realism and the ethics involved in it. Bascially, it boils down to how the artist tattoos. Whether it is for instagram fame, competitions, getting that "wow" factor, or putting the client first and designing something that will age and look good in the future. In my opinion, tattoos that age well aren't restricted to traditional and I have seen very fine line black & grey stuff stand the test of time.

This thread (entire site for that matter), works in realigning peoples' expectations with reality. Realistic styles can be done, with certain limitations, and still endure. Probably not the same level of realism that is so commonly attempted nowadays, but still realistic as far as tattoos go. The hard part is finding an artist who is honest AND skilled enough to pull it off.

I'm no artist, nor do I know what or how these things can be achieved in different styles but I have seen it, albeit more rarely.

I'll also add that it's not 100% tattoo artist. You gotta do your part, too. Realism stuff does require more maintenance and is less forgiving than traditional styles in that sense.

If you go out and get baked in the sun everyday, then yea, that super detailed whatever will look like shit in no time. Whereas a super solid black panther will just shrug it off and still look like a panther.

If you go out and get baked in the sun everyday, then yea, that super detailed whatever will look like shit in no time. Whereas a super solid black panther will just shrug it off and still look like a panther.

Yea I read that. So instead of getting it on my arm, I got it on my thigh instead so the sun doesn't kill it.

I laugh when I was at the bar a girl mentioned how she loved going in the sun with her tattoos because her tattoos get brighter with the sun. hahaha

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

My 2 cents is that traditional type tattoo look like traditional tattoos. It's more of a style than the individual artists style. I feel they will last longer. That being said, for modern (not realism) size matters mine lines and details can work, but make sure the piece is large enough the with a little fading or line blurring, it will still be recognizable. Of course the collectors skin has alot to do with how the tattoo last.

Far from a realistic tattoo, but I thought this small story would suit this thread. My friend recently got her first tattoo (in a kitchen, where the guy was apparently taking bong breaks - but we'll speak no further of that) and when she showed me I noticed the whole small celtic symbol was done in light wash shading. I commented that she was likely to see very quick fading and she said yes, that that was what she wanted. Does she realise that a stick on tattoo might be the better option so she wasn't left with a little grey blog over time? But then again, she made the conscious decision to get in done in a kitchen, so I'm staying out of it.