Aging realism and what lasts

i am not trying to shit on your parade you have already said your tattoo is for the now here is a quick google search to a very different healed tattoo. You just asked for examples so here is one clicking link below the blogger screenshots the photos from artists FB to show validity

tattoos-dont-always-last.jpg there is a blog with it on BME Risks | BME: Tattoo, Piercing and Body Modification News | Page 2

My simple answer is no, I would not get a "realistic" tattoo. Not because I don't appreciate the art and what it's doing for the tattoo industry. It's more because realistic tattoos have stopped looking like tattoos, and to me, look like temporary body paint. The whole culture of tattoos and the evolution of designs is what I love about getting tattooed--being a part of that. These realistic tattoos are such a severe deviation from what tattoos have been and have become. This doesn't mean it's not something to be admired or respected. However, realistic looking tattoos have allowed consumers that never would have gotten tattooed to find something that they like. In some ways, it feels like its only creating this other tattoo culture where everyone in the world has at least one tattoo, but doesn't know what it means to be tattooed. They don't take on the burden of setting themselves apart and defining their own subculture. All because they don't want a tattoo that looks like a tattoo. They want something that looks like a photoshopped nature photograph on their ribs. Now I'm just getting biased and cold.... But I hope someone understand what's I'm saying.

As for the tattoos lasting, I don't think any tattoo truly "lasts". I'm not expert as I don't have many and I'm not that old. I do have a almost 6 year old solid black outline which looks the same as the day I've got it done. But that's because I took care of it, SPF 50 always. If you take care of it, it will probably look better than some one who didn't.

Thank you mate for detailing better. I understand a but better now I think. I am really anal with my tattoos, so I do look after them.

I see that from your point of view, its as much to do with the culture of the tattoo world and I can respect that but things in life change, move on and can be different yet part of the same culture. Splitting it into groups is just another way to make a distance between the two types of art and in my opinion there really is no need. I am sure if I sat down the pub with you, we would get on great, we may have different tastes but I am sure that would not matter, to me atleast.

Just because things have changed doesn't make either type of tattoo art and less of an art simply because you dislike the way it is heading :)

Tattoos should live in harmony with each other. Respecting both sides of the industry seeing as people keep sticking labels on the different types of art. To me and maybe wrongly is all tattoos are one category, tattoos. That's it :)

I can understand the part where you will get this Hollywood type people that do things for trends and ridiculous shit to be seen and I agree with you on that part but everything always has its downsides.

You mention that you love the evolution of designs for tattoos, well to me the traditional looking tattoo looks just the same to me now as it was years ago. So to my untrained eye it hasn't evolved to much. The new styles of tattoo art are definitely evolving design wise wouldn't you say?

Again I am a complete novice so please take that into account. I am just saying my view on things and I could be totally wrong but I hope I am not :)

Ideally I would love to see ALL tattoos last and stand the test of time no matter the style and in 10 years time the new type of art would be recognized as tattoos by everyone.

i am not trying to shit on your parade you have already said your tattoo is for the now here is a quick google search to a very different healed tattoo

tattoos-dont-always-last.jpg there is a blog with it on BME Risks | BME: Tattoo, Piercing and Body Modification News | Page 2

Yep I have mate, just discussing on topic. It is a forum for doing just that after all. Not arguing or disrespecting anyone, I am obviously interested in this topic as ofcourse I wouldn't like my tattoo to look shit in 10 years but if it does it does :)

That tattoo was done badly in the first place.

I hope you don't think I'm trying to discredit realistic tattoos--as a former art major I see their merit and fully respect the style. Yes, they are tattoos, but I still think they draw a different crowd and subculture within tattoo collecting.

You mention that you love the evolution of designs for tattoos, well to me the traditional looking tattoo looks just the same to me now as it was years ago. So to my untrained eye it hasn't evolved to much. The new styles of tattoo art are definitely evolving design wise wouldn't you say?

Again I am a complete novice so please take that into account. I am just saying my view on things and I could be totally wrong but I hope I am not :)

If you study old flash and new flash as well as old tattoos (check out the thread on this forum-- not sure how to link it) and the traditional tattoos members are posting here, there is a clear evolution of style, execution, and design while maintaining the traditional style and elements. Perhaps you should watch the artist interviews on this site, as most of the tattooers talk about this bringing the old into the new. As for realistic tattoos, they have all the boundaries of an oil painting or drawing. While many, if not all, tattooers create their own artwork, designing a tattoo utilizes a wealth of different design techniques. Realistic tattoos are simply paintings tattooed on the body. The actual execution of the tattoo requires tattooing skills, but tattooing, to me, is about the design. And tattoo designs are very different from paintings and the like.

Again, not trying to discredit the style, just my .02 on why I get traditional-esque tattoos.

I hope you don't think I'm trying to discredit realistic tattoos--as a former art major I see their merit and fully respect the style. Yes, they are tattoos, but I still think they draw a different crowd and subculture within tattoo collecting.

If you study old flash and new flash as well as old tattoos (check out the thread on this forum-- not sure how to link it) and the traditional tattoos members are posting here, there is a clear evolution of style, execution, and design while maintaining the traditional style and elements. Perhaps you should watch the artist interviews on this site, as most of the tattooers talk about this bringing the old into the new. As for realistic tattoos, they have all the boundaries of an oil painting or drawing. While many, if not all, tattooers create their own artwork, designing a tattoo utilizes a wealth of different design techniques. Realistic tattoos are simply paintings tattooed on the body. The actual execution of the tattoo requires tattooing skills, but tattooing, to me, is about the design. And tattoo designs are very different from paintings and the like.

Again, not trying to discredit the style, just my .02 on why I get traditional-esque tattoos.

What section is that in, sounds interesting would like to see them. I can dig through the forum :)

From what I gather, is everyone absolutely sure that (lets use my pieces as examples) all my tattoos will look like blobs? Do we all have to get traditional tattoos to stand a chance of having some nice looking tattoos in lets say ten years time? I don't like the sound of that really.

Some people have better luck than others with how their skin holds pigment. I still have some white holding strong from a tattoo by Jef Whitehead from maybe 1999/2000, I think it'd be gone for most people by now. I also still have something on my palm from 97/98, which at the time was something people said wouldn't last, but it was Dan Higgs, so execution played a strong role in its longevity.

I also have to say, I know plenty of people with backpieces 3 layers deep, who's to say the option to retouch or completely cover tattoos gotten in our youth is a bad move? Not that I'll get to find out ever again, any one I get work from now only does tattoos that are built to last. But isn't everything temporary, really?

• 4 months later...

Thought I would revive the thread with some more pics:-)

As you know I am trying to document the aging process of fine detailed tattoos using my own one.

Not very professional lol but I hope we can see any changes if and when they happen

Taken these photos at the intervals on the picture, used the same camera on the last 2, first one was on my phone though and roughly in the same position.

Fotor_Aging.jpg

windows automatic screenshot

• 2 weeks later...
Thought I would revive the thread with some more pics:-)

As you know I am trying to document the aging process of fine detailed tattoos using my own one.

Not very professional lol but I hope we can see any changes if and when they happen

Taken these photos at the intervals on the picture, used the same camera on the last 2, first one was on my phone though and roughly in the same position.

Fotor_Aging.jpg

windows automatic screenshot

I also document my tattoos quite a bit, but that's more because I am a data nerd. It would be interesting if you did this for 5-10 years to really see how they hold up. Thanks for sharing

• 5 months later...
  • 3 months later...
This is a blog Dan Henk wrote for Tattoo Artist Magazine blog recently. In it he discusses some of the issues with super realistic stuff and aging. I was just wondering what other people may think of it.

Dan Henk: Sometimes The Old-Timers Are Right « TAM Blog

Hi everyone.. i'm new here and this thread coming out of Google search brought me to this forum.

Thank you for all the valuable comments

:-) Cheers

• 2 weeks later...
This has probably been said, but there are tons of traditional tattooists who pack way too much black into their tattoos. Not that I wouldn't still get tattoos from them.

What are the consequences of having too much black? any examples?