Aging realism and what lasts

That wasn't a warning. At least I don't think it was.

That was supposed to be sarcasm. I prefer tattoos with lots of black and didn't know there was any such thing as too much, so I'm curious about what was meant by "too much black"... like if something weird can happen as it ages.

What do you guys think of a tattoo done in this style, as far as longevity goes? This is from the portfolio of the artist who is doing my next tattoo. I want it done in this style, which in my mind is somewhere between traditional and fine line. He did some traditional swallows on my arms back in 2000 which have held up wonderfully, so if it is more an issue of artist than style, I feel very confident that his work will last:

https://m.facebook.com/316443508476518/photos/a.316447148476154.77093.316443508476518/332569580197244/?type=1&source=46&refid=17

What do you guys think of a tattoo done in this style, as far as longevity goes? This is from the portfolio of the artist who is doing my next tattoo. I want it done in this style, which in my mind is somewhere between traditional and fine line. He did some traditional swallows on my arms back in 2000 which have held up wonderfully, so if it is more an issue of artist than style, I feel very confident that his work will last:

https://m.facebook.com/316443508476518/photos/a.316447148476154.77093.316443508476518/332569580197244/?type=1&source=46&refid=17

should hold up fine.

Rodney Raines posted this yesterday. It's a good example. Not the oldest tattoo in the world (17 years), but it shows what is going to hold everything together.

10401683_838256286203646_1667101991_n.jpg

Thanks. A very informative post and picture.

I wonder, has ink gotten better from 17 years ago ? Is it possible ink today will last longer and is this something ink manufacturers are working on ?

I am new to tattoos. Got 4 tattoos in the last 6 months. In 17 yrs., I'll be 66. Not a bad age to have some old faded tattoos. Maybe being older has an advantage for a change.

@scubaron If we are talking about the last 17 years then the only significant difference is more companies making it. The basic formulas themselves and for the most part the material that makes up the pigment particles haven't changed much. The only real significant change in the last 30 or so years is the introduction of synthetic binders. Without getting technical or saying more than this forum calls for I can sum it up into the difference between natural or synthetic ink.

There are a lot more companies making synthetic ink with bright shiny packaging and sponsorship deals, tv appearances, etc, so to someone it might seem like there's all kinds of new technology and brighter colors but that's not really accurate.

Thanks for the info. It makes the criticisms on certain tattoo styles more understandable.

All my tattoos are black & gray. My shoulders are always covered up, but I do wear shorts a lot in the summer. Hopefully my tattoos hold up well. It will be interesting to compare my shoulder tattoo to my calf tattoo as the years go by.

• 1 month later...

Next update in the series lol

I know its only every 6 months or so but I keep looking for changes, I don't see any yet still really.

The thing I look at most is the females dark face, where Dmitriy put just a very slight nose shape/face, its really delicate and presume that will go first as ink spreads.

Here is a fresh shot next to the one I took today, still has the same slight face.

m8i3xv.jpg

And the usual 6 monthly update. I managed to resize it so if you want it bigger just click on the photo and the on the photo on the next website to enlarge it if you want to :)

image-52170966-1920x1200

• 4 weeks later...
Here is some M.C. Escher Chris Dingwell did on my forearm in 2002. It's held up well over the last twelve years.

It really did hold very well... this thread makes me a bit concerned as I'm booked to get a realistic color sleeve done in October(lions).

Assuming that my artist is as skilled as he seems to be, how long can I expect the sleeves to keep vibrant colors if properly taken care of?

My father in law had a chest piece done nearly 20 years ago and it looks like it was done yesterday, is that because it very rarely sees the sun?

My wife had a gecko done on her feet years ago as well(by the same artist) and the colors still pop...

It really did hold very well... this thread makes me a bit concerned as I'm booked to get a realistic color sleeve done in October(lions).

Assuming that my artist is as skilled as he seems to be, how long can I expect the sleeves to keep vibrant colors if properly taken care of?

It should keep the vibrant colors for a number of years. I wouldn't worry about it too much in your case.

• 3 months later...

Saw this picture that Nikko posted of him covering up a piece he did a couple years ago. I hope the previous piece saw some laser treatment in this picture, otherwise it didn't hold up well at all.

1546370_772545769466850_4983366506622806288_n.jpg?oh=0607067cd925ff80ebfc86b59bd6c344&oe=554363FD&__gda__=1427003572_3bbe0ff0b218bb6f81300497291f9f44

All the vibrancy and pop that make those colour realism pieces impressive when they are fresh seems to completely vanish by the time it is healed.