Post awesome things you have been doing recently

irezumi

Last night, I got to tour Ed Hardy's art studio. I saw countless pieces spanning five decades--everything from porcelain to flash to massive painted scrolls and more. I'm still trying to process everything; it was a truly incredible experience.

So yeah. That's an awesome thing I did recently.

did you succumb?! i just realized how important emphasizing the right syllable is with that word.

Clever bird name! :D

A year ago, I was out in the back yard with the dogs when I see a green parakeet land on the porch. The seed feeder was empty and he was looking for food. I managed to keep the dogs back when the chihuahua walks right up to it and the bird didn't fly off. I do the same and reach down. It hops on my hand! Obviously a hand fed pet that was released or escaped and will die outside, being so tame.

I think the word has gotten out among animals that our house is a sanctuary (we have 5 adopted dogs and 3 cats). We bought him a female to keep him from getting lonely. He moved in on her right away, preening her face and playing Barry White records. Sadly, he no longer jumps on our hands and instead protects his woman.

15159403910_99a7923e2c.jpg

@hogg I think in these circumstances I am allowed to show off.

@SStu Who are we kidding, by the time this kid is old enough to get tattoos they're going to be horribly out of fashion and he's going to be embarrassed by his dad who was tacky enough to get a large portion of his body covered in them. Until that point, however, I hope he views me as some kind of walking and talking story book.

Good for you Patrick! I quit my job of 7.5 years last December, took three months off of work to recuperate after being severely burned out for the last 2 years of the job, and am so much better off now at my new job. I make more money now which is a huge deal!!! Yay to quitting shitty stress filled jobs that leave you depleted!

Well, I finally quit my job of 9 1/2 years. Some may say that is stupid but the stress level was taking a toll on me. The last year was hell and not getting a raise in 4 years was eating away at me. Still living with my grandparents who have raised me, I have to take care of them. But when i'd get home, I wouldn't "de-stress" and would still be in a shitty mood, which isn't fair or nice to them.

I made plans to quit and had tons of back-up plans set up. Two of my back up plans actually worked. I got a full scholarship to grad school which I applied for back in March. So Now I work on campus 18 hours a week and get a small hourly wage but my tuition is 100% paid.

Also, my friend purchased a business and immediately had me work with her. We deliver drinks like soda or snapple in NYC twice a week. Starting out, I told her to pay me very very little just to get the ball moving in her court. After about 8 months, is when I'm going to start making some decent money.

all in all, I am working less hours. Making more money (in 8 months). Tuition is getting paid. Thursdays and weekends off. stress level is at zero. Started going to the gym more. I am emotionally on cloud 9.

We took our 7 year old daughter to a jr. roller derby practice on Weds to see if she might like it. She is so crazy about it she can't wait a whole week to go back. Will take her again tomorrow morning, before ballet class. So psyched the Derby Dolls moved into our neighborhood! Between this and her Friday after school program "Rock Star" where she's learning to play electric guitar, bass, keyboard, and drums, she's doing much cooler stuff than I did at her age.

So cool! She's probably a bit young for it, but there's a great kids graphic novel that just came out called "Roller Girl" about a girl who becomes obsessed with roller derby just as she gets to that age when best friends start to grow apart. I wish I'd done jr. derby growing up!

Thank you, yes, we have to get that book! I wish I'd done it, too. When I saw her going out onto the floor, I wanted to jump in.

@TrixieFaux, wait! What? Derby Dolls are no longer in Filipino Town? When did that happen?

Oh and your daughter is so much more cooler than I will ever be!

They moved earlier this year. It's a great space.

This kid is ready to rumble:

We took our 7 year old daughter to a jr. roller derby practice on Weds to see if she might like it. She is so crazy about it she can't wait a whole week to go back. Will take her again tomorrow morning, before ballet class. So psyched the Derby Dolls moved into our neighborhood! Between this and her Friday after school program "Rock Star" where she's learning to play electric guitar, bass, keyboard, and drums, she's doing much cooler stuff than I did at her age.

That seems to be such a great community. We did the Running with the Bulls event here back in July, and the bulls were Roller Derby girls from all over the U.S. and Canada. They were a great bunch - and know how to swing a bat!

Wow, everyone has been up to loads of cool stuff! I've been working on my artwork lately, re-learning watercolor painting and learning how to work with charcoal (I'll post some stuff in a few weeks when I've gotten used to it) but compared to everyone else's posts, mine is not NEARLY as exciting :(

I haven't really been an active poster lately, but I just wanted to check in and say hello and hope all is well.

I've been super busy since my mentor and I decided to start up our own shop in downtown Roanoke, Virginia. I'm currently working 12-16 hour days balancing a job and tattooing. I've been able to tattoo super consistently since we opened up though and I've seen some improvements (albeit nowhere near anything I'd hope to be) in my technical ability. My pal Cody works with us as well, and yeah, it's been good. I'll try to check in more regularly, but I still peruse the board.

Miss y'all.