Post awesome things you have been doing recently

irezumi

I also have not been here much recently, but decided to cruise on by and say hiiiii guys! I'm super busy and kicking ass at my new gig and stoked to be doing something I enjoy that fits my lifestyle so well. Stoked to be getting tattooed by Shad in two weeks and then who knows what else is going to get done in October! I'll be back in SF for Halloween and Convention fun. :)))

Miss you, LST, and think of you often. (I'm on my work computer all the time now and *alarmingly* focused, so I never think to make it over here because who wants to be on another computer AFTER work? but truly.)

started studying History at the University of Leiden, the netherlands, this year. This grands me acces to their library. Just found out they have about 2000 books about tattoos from one quick search. Everything from tribal studies to russian prison tattoo research. My life is now complete, holy shitballsmctitfuck this is awesooome!

Rad!! I was hoping she wouldn't feel insulted because the "friend" character, who the main character is growing apart from, does ballet, which is a source of tension--and you mentioned that your daughter does both. I liked that the book didn't stereotype and showed that ballet is every bit as demanding as roller derby, though. There are so many excellent kids' graphic novels that have been coming out lately.

@beez I'm glad you've been crushing it! Hope you've been well. Stoked to see what Shad pulls together for you.

Equally stoked for you!! Very glad to see how well the move and shop came together. Congrats and keep up the damn good work! Looking forward to showing off Shad + mystery-to-me-cuz-i-haven't-decided-yet H'ween piece, that's for sure :)))

I hurt myself a few weeks ago, which is the shitty part--I stretched, yes, stretched, and pointed my feet, while I was rolling over in the middle of the night and managed to partially dislocate two of my toes. I didn't know it tho-all I felt was a POP and paaaaain oh goodness did that smart. And I spent a coupe weeks having a bitch of a time walking-and Taekwondo class was not much fun..went to the Dr and he thought something similar to tendonitis so he sent me to PT. PT feels around and is like um..dude you totally have two toes that are half in and half out the sockets. I had 4 sessions w/her and she worked and worked at that foot and now they're back in the sockets. That is the awesome part.

And I learned my third yellow belt form tonight at class so now I have everything I need to practice for test on Halloween and hopefully I'll be an orange belt next month!

Last weekend...

I recorded 8 songs by Arrabio and Adictox in my Canadian basement, two incredible punk bands from Cuba!

They are putting out an Eskoria tribute LP with the help of Solidarity Rock

it was an insanely hectic day trying to keep 12 people speaking spanish focused and keep the day on schedule, keep things moving. we had to get it done, it was the only opportunity.

8 songs...by 2 bands...3 drummers...4 line-ups...microphonic guitars, amps on the fritz, gang vocals in spanish, 3 x 26oz of rum and a couple cases of beer, someone with really stinky feet, a drunk bassplayer, and my wifes 6 saltwater fishies almost died in the process.

But we did it! we had one shot to this, as Adictox and Arrabio spent the past couple weeks touring Canada east coast to the west coast. They played with the legendary DOA in Edmonton last weekend. I split my head holding down the pit, it was awesome (how old am I again? not too old to slam!).

My old band Slates played with the legendary Eskoria in Santa Clara when we toured Cuba in 2010.. William Fabian was the og punk icon for the punkies cubanos. He was killed 4 days after we said goodbye and left for home. So this project hits close to home for both myself and my Cuban hermanos.

download the old Eskoria demo here it is a piece of history and with consideration of the conditions, climate and context this old recording was made in, it is one of the punkest things you will hear.

Eskoria - Al Fin Por Fin

Did a couple days of riding with my wife through the GSMNP and Blue Ridge Parkway. Both are national treasures, and if you get the chance, see one or both. We've been on the BRP four times, and it never gets old. Spring is gaudy with flowering bushes, and autumn leaves were near peek this week. Tomorrow our 45 year HS reunion will be a cool end to a great week off.

bongsau, have you ever heard of a Canadian punk band, Mung? My long time internet buddy Peeker plays bass in the group.

I'll try the solidarity rock website from home since it is blocked at work.

My wife and I have been wanting to visit Cuba for years and will try to get there before McDonalds and Starbucks show up after everything opens up for U.S. travel.

We were in Jamaica and Grand Cayman last week and sailed past Cuba on the way home.

21724513923_b82a3e6fcf_b.jpg

22319633616_f4b5baa3dd_b.jpg

22319698036_c4f896d010_b.jpg

21724609013_0e213be933_b.jpg

@The Tig ...yknow I think I actually met the Mung bass dude in Nelson, BC at a hippy houseparty like 13 years ago! He gave me a Mung demo tape, we got super stoned and we played air bass to Mr. Krinkle by Primus. It was totally bizarro.

If you do go to Cuba, check out Santa Clara, Sancti Spiritus in the central part and Trinidad on the south coast.

When my old band played a gig in Sancti Spiritus it was a young gals 16th birthday. And I butchered happy birthday in spanglish on the mic to her. Meidy turned 18 and wrote me a letter, thanking me for the happy birthday song, which she still remembered. She said I inspired her an her friends to get tattoos, and she got her first one on her 18th birthday...of spongebob squarepants lol ! VIVA CUBA!

- - - Updated - - -

small world

• 2 weeks later...

I'm not sure if I should post this here or in Shitting Things. Looking at winter races and having this weekend open, I succumbed to a free registration and an encouraging welcome from a bunch of friendly runners I've never met and signed up for a 24 hour ultra. As in, running for 24 hours on a 1 mile loop with 136 other folks. It's this Saturday/Sunday and I'm questioning the idiocy of this decision.

@SeeSea, I was on a 5 person mixed team for a 24 hour mountain bike race once...

Wow, it was both rewarding and beyond difficult thanks to the mud we had. You would think you could get a decent amount of rest with 5 people, but it didn't work out so well. Maybe in nicer weather it would have been better.

Looking back, I'm glad I did it. There is a never quit in my makeup. Throw in challenging conditions that make others quit, and I get even more determined.

It really builds character and inner strength, so go for it if you're up for it.

Yesterday a bunch of folks from our church traveled to downtown Knoxville "under the bridge" to hand out warm coats, hats, gloves, socks, food, and water to the homeless that gather there. Not so much an awesome thing that I did, but an awesome thing that I got to share in. All of the folks there were appreciative and polite. Made it easy to do.