Post awesome things you have been doing recently

irezumi

we are leaving for Maui for 2 weeks on Monday May 2nd, we fly Alaska Air on a 737-800 which has a crew of 4 plus the 2 pilots,Alaska has great onboard service IMO btw,

the crew is always so good, we always fly first class and they treat us like royalty there.

we always like to tip them and acknowledge their hard work somehow,this trip we got the crew all Subway gift cards and the pilots Starbucks cards,enough for the return flight too.

they always are so surprised and appreciative of these thank you things we love to do.that's the real payoff for us,we have a lot of fun doing this.

everybody seems to forget this part of the service industry.so we try and do this little stuff that means a lot to them.

gift_cards.jpg

Despite serving 26 years on active duty in the Army, we've never been to Hawaii - need to add that to my bucket list. Lynn and I have fallen in love with a resort on the island of Antigua - Galley Bay. Spent our 25th, 26th, 40th and 41st wedding anniversaries there...and hope to go back this year for our 42nd.

Hopefully, the weather will cooperate this weekend so the Hot Air Balloon company we crew for can get in a flight. I need the fresh air and exercise!!

1 hour ago, Gingerninja said:

Yep, that works! @Dan I haven't been to Hawaii since I was a kid. I'd love to go back but it just takes so dang long to get there from the East Coast. We end up going to the Caribbean most often. Wear your sunscreen. :) 

yep !  lot's of SB,we go to Kauai & Maui every year,I bring an umbrella with me too, LOL

this was one of our trips on Kaui

sun.jpg

beer,beach,and my  babe,it doesn't get any better :)

local_culture.jpg

Edited by Dan

All I can say is if you have a chance to go see the Eagles of Death Metal on their current tour - DO IT. I've seen them before and they always put on a great show but these are super special since they are the first ones since the attack. The outpouring of love, support and respect made me a little teary. They gave the crowd everything they had back in spades. So freaking good.

The college where I'm president is a two-year private college, much like a community college with a total enrollment of about 1600 students. We have many sports teams but one of our most successful is our football program. We get great players who are not academically prepared and work them hard both on and off the field to get them ready to transfer and succeed. We've also had a tremendous number of our players make it to the NFL - last year we had two drafted and 1 the year before. Unheard of for a school our size.

On Saturday we had our spring Blue/White game - the culmination of the spring practice season. On hand were two of our current NFL players - Chicago Bear Kevin White who was selected as the 7th pick in the 1st round last year, and Baltimore Raven Lorenzo Taliaferro who was selected in the 4th round two tears ago. Missing was Mark Glowinski, picked by the Seattle Seahawks in last year's 4th round as well as another of our former players who was just picked up as a free agent by the Ravens.

Kevin and Mark both went from our program to West Virginia and Kevin's two younger brother did the same thing. We retired Kevin's jersey number at the game. What a class act he is and gave our program, coaches and college all the credit for getting him where he is. Zo Taliaferro is also an amazing young man - got his BA in the morning two years ago and then was selected in the NFL draft that same evening.

Here's a picture from the game: Kevin White, our head football coach and former St Louis Cardinal linebacker Mark Duda, Lorenzo "Zo" Taliaferro, and me...the short guy.

412480724.jpg

Edited by Devious6

A while ago (in 'upcoming tattoos', I think) I posted about how I was going to take my dad for his first tattoo - something that he had wanted for a long time but had never done.  The first time we planned to go, he backed out because he looked online at the risks of getting tattooed as a diabetic (which for someone with well controlled diabetes are negligible, but he still didn't do it. Cold feet.)  Then last summer at our family reunion our cousin Amy, who has several tattoos, basically called him out because she got her most recent one while she was on chemo for her stage 4 cancer - making his arguments clearly invalid.  
Unfortunately, Amy lost her battle with cancer late last year.  A few weeks ago my dad and I finally went to get his tattoo.  The simple anchor reflects his 40+ years of working on Great Lakes ships, but I believe it serves as a reminder of his cousin also.

We went to Hand of Doom Tattoo in Buffalo, NY and he got his tattoo from Chris Lombardi.  Same shop and artist where I got my first tattoo (also an anchor!)  in 2012.  Overall amazing experience, Chris is a great guy and an excellent tattooer.

12976300_1543858542584781_489209053_n.jp

Sometimes it just takes us older guys some time to make the decision - and in some cases a life event will give that decision a new meaning. Congrats to your Dad! So, the real question is....is he already planning his next? I got my first about two months ago, turned 61 10 days ago and am working on my design for the next one this fall. :1_grinning:

1 hour ago, Devious6 said:

Sometimes it just takes us older guys some time to make the decision - and in some cases a life event will give that decision a new meaning. Congrats to your Dad! So, the real question is....is he already planning his next? I got my first about two months ago, turned 61 10 days ago and am working on my design for the next one this fall. :1_grinning:

Well, he already mentioned putting a propeller on the other shoulder; we'll have to wait and see what he thinks after the excitement wears off!