Post awesome things you have been doing recently

irezumi

On 7/1/2016 at 10:06 PM, TrixieFaux said:

Went to CatConLA last weekend with my daughter!!! We had so much fun. Saw Horitomo, Molly, and Taki from State of Grace. We bought a ton of cat related stuff, two of my favorites being prints featuring David Bowie and Robert Smith w/cats! We bought @DJDeepFried a monmon cat baseball cap. I'm still wanting another monmon cat tattoo... someday...

Did you get a chance to see the Acro Cats? I think they were there. 

What has been shitty for some ended up pretty awesome for me. Yesterday was told that due to business changes, my position has been eliminated (I don't like that term). BUT! I don't end employment until Sept 30, 2017 (the day I had planned to retire)! AND, I get a very nice severance package that includes 6 months COBRA (health insurance). I can't think of anything that I've done to be so blessed in life, but I'm sure not complaining. Many have not been so lucky, and I sure feel for them.

@pidjones sounds like it couldn't have worked out any better for you.

i had a similar experience recently, although unfortunately I'm not ready to retire!

everyone at my site was told in a group meeting they were going to be made redundant, i was  nearly in tears.

as soon as thee meeting was over my MD said he needed a word with me, i was expecting something even worse.

luckily he said that he was making my position a work from home role, if i was happy with that it would be couple with a wage increase and a new company car. so I'm over the moon.

can't help but feel sorry for all colleagues who are losing their jobs though :( 

• 2 weeks later...

Out this morning picking blueberries. This year has been tremendous - we've got about 20 bushes and they have been loaded with berries. We're at the point where we are just picking them to give them to friends and family - way more than we can use or even freeze. Not sure why it's been so good - haven't had a lot of rain until the last two days. Perhaps the 11 hives of honey bees is helping. :1_grinning:  Wanna come pick some?

Blueberries.jpg

Edited by Devious6

We have many wild blackberrys, and a bunch of rasberrys that are either wild or spread from a long-ago resident in the area (story goes that the hermit/mountain man that owned this side of the mountain had a brother living with him who was an amateur horticulturist. There are evergreens around where his cabin stood that are not native to the area. All bushes seemed full and near ripe one day, stripped bare the next. I suspect lot's of critters with belly aches.

Devious, we have huckleberrys up in the mountains. 1/3 the size of blueberrys and 3X the flavor! Problem is, there are natives that love them, too. And right about the time the berrys ripen, those natives are very hungry! One person picks while the other stands lookout.

We have wild raspberries and huckleberries all around our farm, too. Makes for an enjoyable walk around the property. Most of our blueberry bushes are 20+ years old so the smaller critters can't reach the berries - we do share with the birds however. The deer don't seem to bother them - maybe because there are so many wild berry bushes around. And the bees from our hives pretty much ensure every flower and bud is pollinated so our garden is also overflowing this year.

You guys are mean. I'm originally from Finland, which is basically (wild) berry country. Every year around this period I get the worst craving for just about any berries picked fresh from the forest. Although we've managed to grow some raspberries and currants (we do have a couple of young blueberry bushes as well but no berries so far, and they really don't seem to like the Sicilian summer), it has been a really bad year for them for some reason. Only managed to freeze white and red currants. Besides, picking berries in May-June is somehow not the same :D.

I am closing in on finishing my first-ever computer build, yaaaay. I am quite proud of it, considering all of the things I chose to tackle for my first time building one. I crimped and sleeved my own extension cables, repainted my mobo thermal armor, hand-sawed, champfered, and routed my cooling loop with acrylic tubing, and I installed waterblocks on my CPU and GPUs. Now that I've done it all from top to bottom, I don't think I'll ever be paying anyone else to build my gaming rigs for me again. :)

Still got a little distance to go yet, but I can't wait to start using it, not least because my current box is in its death throes (and I've been sitting here staring at my HTC VIVE box for two months without any ability to use it!).

20160805_121456.jpg

20160805_121431.jpg

20160805_121442.jpg

Edited by sophistre

16 minutes ago, sophistre said:

I am closing in on finishing my first-ever computer build, yaaaay. I am quite proud of it, considering all of the things I chose to tackle for my first time building one. I crimped and sleeved my own extension cables, repainted my mobo thermal armor, hand-sawed, champfered, and routed my cooling loop with acrylic tubing, and I installed waterblocks on my CPU and GPUs. Now that I've done it all from top to bottom, I don't think I'll ever be paying anyone else to build my gaming rigs for me again. :)

Still got a little distance to go yet, but I can't wait to start using it, not least because my current box is in its death throes (and I've been sitting here staring at my HTC VIVE box for two months without any ability to use it!).

20160805_121456.jpg

20160805_121431.jpg

20160805_121442.jpg

I'm impressed!! Although I know nothing about it to be honest. But hey, I've installed new memory in my macbook yesterday, that's a start, isn't it...?

10 hours ago, sophistre said:

that is beautiful ! very nice job,I would love to see more pics of it.

Crewed for a hot air balloon flight again last night (also crewed on Sunday evening - a wedding flight) and got to fly. The pilots cycle us in as "pay" for crewing when they can based on whether the paying customers have scheduled a private flight or not and weight. You never know when it will be your turn until the pilot say "Mark, want to fly?" Of course, the answer is always "Yes!!!!!" We launched from Nicholson, PA in the shadow of the famous and majestic Nicholson train bridge. It was a beautiful, warm evening and even though initial test balloons and the weather forecast reflected very slow winds, we got a nice push and a smooth, amazing flight. The pilot set us down gently in a field of recently cut hay surrounded by woods - and we were greeted by friendly land owners - perfect.

IMG_1018.JPGIMG_1019.JPGIMG_1032.JPGIMG_1037.JPGIMG_1046.JPGIMG_1050.JPGIMG_1058.JPG

we just got back from a few days camping  here http://www.schoolhousecanyon.com/Home.html near https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Guerneville,_California ,it's about 130 miles from home,but the highlight of the trip was seeing the 1000 to 2000 year old giant redwoods here http://www.parks.ca.gov/?page_id=450 , here is a couple of me and my wife and our kid, 

13876578_10205169725202007_1247708196308

pretty amazing trees,we hiked a couple miles in and out.

13882406_10205169724161981_2592266843722

13902718_10205169730202132_5745064440606

• 2 weeks later...

Running the streets of Oakland, and causing havoc, raising hell, and all on a blogger's budget. Slept in mansions, slept in a house that had so much shit on the walls that I couldn't stand up straight. Talked to some witches, and smoked hella reefer. Sat at a table with two drug dealers at a bar in Oakland's Temescal.