Post awesome things you have been doing recently

irezumi

Ok so I was slacking and forgot to update you all, Thanks Dan for reminding me.

Test was a 3 1/2 hour test, and after gaining two large blisters, two black eyes, bruised jaw and a awesome fat and bloody lip, I received my Shodan :D

185463_10150962320222623_1021927407_n.jpg

559186_3617895001736_1412865605_n.jpg

Basic's

524464_10150962326812623_1289245748_n.jpg

Kata

229134_10150962327912623_2087829710_n.jpg

Also Kata

427487_10150962329652623_540067520_n.jpg

One attack

625671_10150962332767623_1447886233_n.jpg

Sparring - 1st fight, 1 vs 1 for 2 mins.

304645_10150962337787623_1956391043_n.jpg

Sparring - 2nd fight, 2 vs 1 for 1 min

319352_3617928282568_525375216_n.jpg

You can see it starting to swell up during the question and answer portion, by the time we got to the bar, I had to use a straw to drink

603548_3617933882708_904274820_n.jpg

Myself and the 3 others who tested :)

383925_10150962161912623_151148599_n.jpg

I do machine shop work on the side.... I had been working on these really close-tolerance parts for a another shop over a year ago. It turns out that some of them are on the Mars craft that is actually now on Mars. How can you beat that? I found out about it last week.

CG

Now THAT'S awesome! I'm a machinist/toolmaker by trade, so I can get behind that...I work with hsk tooling and spindles now, tolerances in the 2 micron range-it's a trip.

Not my story, but my cousin ran a custom-bearing house. You needed a wierd bearing, they'd make it for you, all one-off shit. They got a call from a Naval type up in, I think, Groton, and ended up making some ongo bearings on an emergency basis. Worked on 'em 24 per till they were done, and there was a plane waiting at Midway to take 'em to wherever. Turns out they were for a nuclear sub...thought that was pretty heavy.

CG, are you coming to Chicago for the IMTS this year?

I do machine shop work on the side.... I had been working on these really close-tolerance parts for a another shop over a year ago. It turns out that some of them are on the Mars craft that is actually now on Mars. How can you beat that? I found out about it last week.

CG

You KNOW now, of course, that you'll need to get an "I've been on Mars" related tattoo!

Now THAT'S awesome! I'm a machinist/toolmaker by trade, so I can get behind that...I work with hsk tooling and spindles now, tolerances in the 2 micron range-it's a trip.

Not my story, but my cousin ran a custom-bearing house. You needed a wierd bearing, they'd make it for you, all one-off shit. They got a call from a Naval type up in, I think, Groton, and ended up making some ongo bearings on an emergency basis. Worked on 'em 24 per till they were done, and there was a plane waiting at Midway to take 'em to wherever. Turns out they were for a nuclear sub...thought that was pretty heavy.

CG, are you coming to Chicago for the IMTS this year?

The craziest shit I do is +/-.0001 on bores and things like that. I can grind between centers and hold .0002 all day, but love those .0005 jobs. These parts were a motor housing assembly, a real sick accumulation of tolerances. I had heard that it was for the Mars craft, forgot about it until my buddy told me. His shop had to be certified before he could awarded any part of the job.

I've had to make things an an emergency basis too, nothing like that sub bearing though. That base at Groton is simply huge too, been past it on the ferry a few times.

I've also made parts for the SR71 Black Bird, have things floating around above us in satellites as well.

CG

- - - Updated - - -

You KNOW now, of course, that you'll need to get an "I've been on Mars" related tattoo!

Maybe a little one somewhere..... have to work on it.

CG

- - - Updated - - -

Ok so I was slacking and forgot to update you all, Thanks Dan for reminding me.

Test was a 3 1/2 hour test, and after gaining two large blisters, two black eyes, bruised jaw and a awesome fat and bloody lip, I received my Shodan :D

Kata

Well earned! Someone I knew did his test, 5 hours and he looked like he was hit by a bus at the end.

CG

Since beginning my journey into fitness/health (52lbs lost as of yesterday's weigh in!) I've been getting much more inventive with cooking; i'd always relied on fat, salt, etc to make things taste good. Now that Im cooking more balanced meals I've had to really stretch myself to make it interesting and satisfying while maintaining the caloric guidelines I set on myself. I've been really pleased with how things are coming out, and was recently asked to teach a 'healthy cooking' class for my weight loss group.

Oh. And I celebrate every 10lbs lost with foie gras and charcuterie, so I'm not a total square!

Since beginning my journey into fitness/health (52lbs lost as of yesterday's weigh in!) I've been getting much more inventive with cooking; i'd always relied on fat, salt, etc to make things taste good. Now that Im cooking more balanced meals I've had to really stretch myself to make it interesting and satisfying while maintaining the caloric guidelines I set on myself. I've been really pleased with how things are coming out, and was recently asked to teach a 'healthy cooking' class for my weight loss group.

Oh. And I celebrate every 10lbs lost with foie gras and charcuterie, so I'm not a total square!

I follow you on Instagram, and I have really noticed your transformation. Congratulations on going about it in the right way. You look great.

Good for you and not everyone sees what a discipline it is to keep it going. You can really come up with some healthier choices very easily. Me... I'm on a beer and 7-11 burrito diet... my winter weight lifting bulk has gotten out of hand...

CG

I follow you on Instagram, and I have really noticed your transformation. Congratulations on going about it in the right way. You look great.

Thanks!

It's a hard balance sometimes; right now I want to be curled up in bed eating m&ms and watching Escape from NY- Instead I'm going to bike in the rain to the gym. But afterwards I know I'll feel great... and reward myself with the new Cronenberg movie!

i think i might be back. but i can't get too distracted as this semester is the first one doing "real" science and math.

August has been a blast! i saw 3 rattlesnakes, learned how to mist-net and handle bats while camping in Tahoe National Forrest, handled 6 bats (5 on the trip and one last Friday during my volunteer shift at Wildcare), and performed my first necropsy yesterday on a opossum that had been attacked by a dog (or at least i'm guessing that due to the large wound it had). it's all kind of creepy crawly science shit, but it's been life changing and i love it!

@Liz Stitch Ellis...congrats on the amazing accomplishment.

For me, this past week was pretty good... I went to a game at Yankee Stadium, took a nice long motorcycle ride to get some kick ass bbq, found a cool little unknown tattoo shop loaded with amazing flash and spent some time at the indoor shooting range. A very therapeutic week but reality set in quickly back at work today.

Finally got some awesomeness to post up.

Had a busy weekend! I picked up a Jeep which I took off-roading a bit. Picked up my friend did a quick tour of the 3 states around me (NYC, NY, PA). Next day we hit the shooting range, shooting the AK, S&W .45 and the S&W 500 till the barrels got hot (couldn't even hold the ak anymore! easily 1000 rounds each). Followed all up with a big party for some of our out of town friends that came in for a visit.

@Liz Stitch Ellis...congrats on the amazing accomplishment.

For me, this past week was pretty good... I went to a game at Yankee Stadium, took a nice long motorcycle ride to get some kick ass bbq, found a cool little unknown tattoo shop loaded with amazing flash and spent some time at the indoor shooting range. A very therapeutic week but reality set in quickly back at work today.

That sounds like a good day..would you care to share where the bbq place,& the tattoo shop are.

@Wedge that shop looks like a nice street shop.And the BBQ joint looks good too.Taking a drive to eat at a new restaurant,and checking out a new tattoo shop are two of my favorite things to do.Last month i drove to Middletown,NY,and ate @ Upcoming: - Home It was pretty good.I was talking with the owner,who had a cool backpiece from Larry Davis.He's got some good bands playing there too.I know there was a bbq place in CT.that was featured on Diners,Drive-ins,& Dives,but don't remember the name.That place looks pretty good,i might have to take a drive up there one weekend.