Post awesome things you have been doing recently

irezumi

Finally got over some gnarly hip and back issues and decided to start bicycling for the exercise. All I need is a single speed cruiser with coaster brakes. I picked up this 70's era Murray Le Mans in excellent condition yesterday for a measly $70.00. Last evening was the first time I've been on a bike in 32 years!

post-1737-146168841691_thumb.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner

My husband and I are big fans of horse racing...we decided, almost on a whim, to get this particular mare off the track and retired to a good home. We had been following her for three years and she was quickly disappearing into the cracks, so I felt compelled to at least TRY to get her.

Local writer for the Daily Racing Form caught wind of our project and did a little piece on it, it was really cool, and I hope it inspires other people:

Retired racehorses: One fan does her part to find mare a home | Daily Racing Form

• 1 month later...

Reviving this thread partly 'cause I love it, partly because I have something to add in terms of awesome things I've done recently. This afternoon I successfully defended my PhD! Yikes! I am still kind of wrapping my head around the enormity of it, and so spewing my crazy wired energy wherever I can. :)

Reviving this thread partly 'cause I love it, partly because I have something to add in terms of awesome things I've done recently. This afternoon I successfully defended my PhD! Yikes! I am still kind of wrapping my head around the enormity of it, and so spewing my crazy wired energy wherever I can. :)

Congrats. What in?

@irezumi: Love you, buddy! I missed the pics here, but man, I'm glad I checked 'em out.

Congrats! My wife just completed her PhD dissertation (also in History--US) last weekend, so I know how involved it is. Huge kudos to you. She's at UC Berkeley. Where are you?

Congrats to your wife Hogg! And to you too--all partners of dissertation writers are saints. For real.

I did my PhD in the UK but have been back in Canada for a few years now, so defending meant a whirlwind trip back to the UK (I arrived last Thursday morning for my Friday defense and just got back yesterday), which I am still recovering from. INTENSE.

I made a lightbox :D

Woodwork is not something I've really done before, but I thought I'd give it a go. Buying a lightbox is pretty bloody expensive, so I decided to make my own from recycled materials. The top is an old cupboard door that I got from a seconds warehouse ($18) and I used second-hand timber. The cost of buying a drill and other odds and ends probably meant that this ended up almost as expensive as just buying a lightbox, but now I have a drill AND a place to draw so win-win. Still thinking about whether I'll line the inside of the top to disperse the light more evenly.

I should point out that I didn't make the desk (just assembled it from a flatpack :P ), only the frame at the top.