Post awesome things you have been doing recently

irezumi

I found a lost dog roaming around while I was walking my dog this morning. It wasn't wearing a collar. I caught the dog and went around the neighborhood trying to find it's owners without any luck. I had to get to work so I brought it to my house for fear that it would get hit by a car if left outside.

I then spent the entire morning while at work putting out ads for this dog. I got a couple calls throughout the day but this wasn't the dog these people were looking for. By the time I got home I called my vet to see if they could scan this dog for a microchip but they were closed for the night. By this time it was dark out but I took the dog for another walk around the neighborhood in hopes of finding its owner, still no luck.

Just an hour ago I was sitting at my computer and thought I heard a very faint whistle and what sounded like someone calling a name. It is unusual for me to not have the TV or music on while at home but for some reason I didn't tonight and I was able to hear this. I opened my window to see if I could hear it again. I saw a woman across the street calling out a name. I yelled across to her and asked if she was looking for a dog. Sure enough she was, and the dog I found was hers. She was in tears and I was so happy to get her dog back to her.

I was so stressed out about getting this dog back to his family. All I could think about was how devastated I would be if my dog was missing. While putting out ads for this dog I couldn't believe how many dogs and cats people are missing in just this city. It really bums me out but I'm glad I was able to get one of them back home.

I like that story! How gratifying

- - - Updated - - -

My husband and I are big fans of horse racing...we decided, almost on a whim, to get this particular mare off the track and retired to a good home. We had been following her for three years and she was quickly disappearing into the cracks, so I felt compelled to at least TRY to get her.

Local writer for the Daily Racing Form caught wind of our project and did a little piece on it, it was really cool, and I hope it inspires other people:

Retired racehorses: One fan does her part to find mare a home | Daily Racing Form

Very cool! My nephew was raised in the horse racing community - by his grandfather - a race horse trainer.

Very interesting

[color=

- - - Updated - - -

Congratulations

Aww @missStark I'm glad that story has such a happy ending! We rescued a stray dog this summer who had clearly been intentionally abandoned. (Someone had tied him to the stairs in our back yard! Seriously!) It still makes me feel crazy when I think about it. Luckily he was the was the cutest puppy in the universe and we managed to place him with a rescue almost immediately. And he found his forever home within a week.

Yay for good dog stories. :)

- - - Updated - - -

Aww @missStark I'm glad that story has such a happy ending! We rescued a stray dog this summer who had clearly been intentionally abandoned. (Someone had tied him to the stairs in our back yard! Seriously!) It still makes me feel crazy when I think about it. Luckily he was the was the cutest puppy in the universe and we managed to place him with a rescue almost immediately. And he found his forever home within a week.

Yay for good dog stories. :)

Packing to fly to Tokyo on Sunday... I think that's pretty awesome (I'm not one of those people who hates packing).

The only downside is that we were due to be leaving tomorrow morning and without any warning SAS cancelled their flight and re-routed us... I thought swedes were supposed to be super efficient and whatnot? Morons. So we're down a day on our vacation, but I guess the silver lining is that I sent them an e-mail laying some EU regulation smackdown on them. Because we didn't get notice in the appropriate timeframe, and because no exceptional circumstances apply, and because we're arriving more than 2 hours later than our originally scheduled time of arrival we should be entitled to compensation. Look at the regs it will be either 250 euro each, or as much as 400 euro each (depends on what whether the whole distance travelled in the intinerary is counted or just the leg they cancelled).

Bought a few bits and bobs to bring the guys in Yellow Blaze today as small gifts. I know they'll probably never do a celtic style tattoo, but maybe what I bought will find a spot in their rather large library of reference material - a few books on celtic design, knotwork, bordering etc. Going to chuck in a bottle of whiskey too.

I have been addicted to shopping the goodwill and salvation army type stores in my area. There is one store called Hope Gospel Center that has a building full of furniture and building supplies where the procedes go to the church. I found a xray light box there for $70. It is a million times brighter than any commercial light box and is way bigger....I think I scored on buying that one.

I'm sure noone here is impressed but I finished all my Christmas gift crafting... the final item was a hot pink afghan.

Maybe more awesome... I started packing for my cruise that leaves in 3 days (which we plan to be on so long as the trial my husband is a jury member on ends)