Post awesome things you have been doing recently

irezumi

just spent my saturday extracting DNA from a road killed Giant Salamander and a Rough-skinned Newt. i remember when we found those two as well (while herping), which was kind of sad, but at least their squished little bodies are helping 20 adults learn how to do Long PCR.

Oh PCR, either your best friend or your soul-sucking worst enemy. What's super awesome is when you order your primers, spend a month freaking out because you can't get the right band, then receive an email saying they screwed up and sent you the wrong sequence. Not that I'm bitter or anything. As much as I loved my basic science days, I'm glad they are long behind me now.

Love that everyone is just quitting their jobs, I did it a couple of weeks ago myself so from now on I'm my own boss! :cool: Since I'm the boss now I also booked a trip to Hollywood and tattoo appointments with Chris Conn and Bryan Burk! moahaha! Can't wait for May to arrive!

Also I got my second session on my back with Valerie next week, good times! Life is pretty good right now! :D

Love that everyone is just quitting their jobs, I did it a couple of weeks ago myself so from now on I'm my own boss! :cool: Since I'm the boss now I also booked a trip to Hollywood and tattoo appointments with Chris Conn and Bryan Burk! moahaha! Can't wait for May to arrive!

Also I got my second session on my back with Valerie next week, good times! Life is pretty good right now! :D

Moahaha is right! It sounds like every Norwegian gets tattooed like a pro. I haven't quit my job because I love my job for the first time in my life. However, we're moving into a much better place on the first and after we get back from a summer trip are going to look into adopting a dawg. Feeling pretty good myself right about now..

Got a one way train ticket to Cologne, Germany for this friday morning. From there I will start my backpacking/hitchhiking adventure through Europe. I'm currently looking for a couchsurf location for the first day.

These past 2-2,5ish months of preparation went by so insanely fast, can't believe that in 2 days I will be living out of a backpack. It's absolutely terrifying, but I couldn't be more excited for something. Next time I'll post something on LST, it will be from the road.

Life of a drifter in Europe for updates on my travels

@ThaliaCamille how is the carpe diem life going for you so far? Have you been able to find other work yet?

If you guys are not following his trip, you are fucking up big time. He is posting often and it is great. I am excited everyday to read his travel blog.

I didn't realize this was the thread you posted when you quit your job. I stepped down from being the manager of my department at my night job. They brought me in the office to offer me a promotion, and somehow my reaction was to tell them I was done being in a leadership role. I have managed to rearrange my schedule so I can eat dinner with the family 4 nights a week and didn't take a pay cut. Also I have more flexibility to go to the shop when I am needed on my days off from there.

I didn't realize this was the thread you posted when you quit your job. I stepped down from being the manager of my department at my night job. They brought me in the office to offer me a promotion, and somehow my reaction was to tell them I was done being in a leadership role. I have managed to rearrange my schedule so I can eat dinner with the family 4 nights a week and didn't take a pay cut. Also I have more flexibility to go to the shop when I am needed on my days off from there.

Awesome, man. Working nights is so rough...for the past couple of years I worked five months out of the year on night shifts (the last year was a 7pm-7am shift) and it wasn't until I quit that job and am now on a normal person schedule that I realised how utterly miserable I was and how much of my pessimism came from that job. Not that I'm in a dream job now or anything like that, but being able to go home and have dinner every night with my wife, being able to see friends and do things really makes so much of a difference.

ChrisvK; i just read your blog...and dude, good luck!! seems like a fun adventure! if your travels take you north by any chance you're welcome to stay!

Thanks Johannes! I might take you up on that once since I'm planning to visit Sweden again in the summertime. If i'm still on the road that is. Thanks for checking out my blog

This thing followed me home today and I kept it. (Actually, My friend drove it home, I followed to make sure it made it there.)

'74 VW Beetle. Bought it off a college kid for $2k. It's completely street legal, starts first time every time. Everything on it works. Basic transportation for me and a ton of fun to drive. Plenty of potential to do stuff with it. I got it bought, titled, registration, tags, and insured all before time to go pick up the missus from work today. "Twas a good day!"

Besides, It has a tractor muffler with a flapper for exhaust. You just cant beat that.

So tonight I went to a mixer at this place in the middle of the downtown area of my city... an area that has a alot of violence and well, is dying. But, this place opened up as an office building for young professionals, and they hold events for that type of arty, young college educated crowd. I had a great time. Then went out for Japanese food, which was great. In all, just had a great night.

This thing followed me home today and I kept it. (Actually, My friend drove it home, I followed to make sure it made it there.)

'74 VW Beetle. Bought it off a college kid for $2k. It's completely street legal, starts first time every time. Everything on it works. Basic transportation for me and a ton of fun to drive. Plenty of potential to do stuff with it. I got it bought, titled, registration, tags, and insured all before time to go pick up the missus from work today. "Twas a good day!"

Besides, It has a tractor muffler with a flapper for exhaust. You just cant beat that.

Awesome!

Super cool!

We moved. We moved from a narrow, carpeted, shoe-boxy apartment with blue and purple walls where the landlords (who were nice enough) lived downstairs, to a bright, open, tiled-kitchen and new wood floors apartment with a shared backyard that is pet friendly where our friends live below us and a super nice couple below them and where it doesn't feel like mom and dad/landlords live. I painted. We hired movers. From here on out I will always paint and hire movers. I'm turning this little alcove into a walk-in closet. We have a big ass rug coming soon. We're a block away from a nice park and in July after vacationy stuff we'll most likely foster and adopt a dog. I like our new hood more than I thought, too. DAMN IT FEELS GOOD TO BE A GANGSTER.

We moved. We moved from a narrow, carpeted, shoe-boxy apartment with blue and purple walls where the landlords (who were nice enough) lived downstairs, to a bright, open, tiled-kitchen and new wood floors apartment with a shared backyard that is pet friendly where our friends live below us and a super nice couple below them and where it doesn't feel like mom and dad/landlords live. I painted. We hired movers. From here on out I will always paint and hire movers. I'm turning this little alcove into a walk-in closet. We have a big ass rug coming soon. We're a block away from a nice park and in July after vacationy stuff we'll most likely foster and adopt a dog. I like our new hood more than I thought, too. DAMN IT FEELS GOOD TO BE A GANGSTER.

Adopting a dog was one of the best things I have done in my life.

Adopting a dog was one of the best things I have done in my life.

This ^^^ Rescuing animals of any sort is a very awesome thing to do. I got my wee orange kitty that way. Life changing for the both of us. Thick as thieves.

I don't know how awesome this is, but it sure feels pretty great. After ditching pro-sports 19 years ago (as a fan, defo not as any kind of athlete - unless rolling over on the couch occasionally counts as athleticism) I have rediscovered Major League baseball. I started with the Jay's season opener a few days ago and was amazed at how much I missed the game. I've even got my butt in gear and gone to a game and got tickets for a couple more. I missed the ballpark, the crappy hotdogs, the overpriced peanuts, and the raging drunks all around me in the nose bleed seats. More than anything though, I have rekindled my long-time love of the game. I was a die-hard fan from '77-94. It sure feels good to be back in the park again. So, maybe not high-end awesome, but it is a nice feeling and what's more, my partner Erin is totally into it as well. Another thing we enjoy doing together.