Post awesome things you have been doing recently

irezumi

Best of luck and positive thoughts @MadeIndelible , I'm another one who's struggled with addiction. You've already done the hardest part by realising it's a problem and taking the first steps. You've got to hit rock bottom to find your way back up as they say. Well done x

Just got back from a three-day silent Buddhist meditation retreat with Noah Levine and Against the Stream in Joshua Tree. Hard to be away from @TrixieFaux and the little one, but it was beautiful and challenging and (hopefully) life-changing.

There was a lot of high-quality tattooage on display -- I call them Tatuddhists -- but of course I couldn't ask anyone, "Where'd you get your work?" Noah himself is pretty much covered with work from @Scott Sylvia and I think @Juan Puente, Eddy Deutsche and some other dudes.

Funny how I kind of stumbled upon ATS. 1) At a kids' birthday party, a friend introduced @TrixieFaux to this other mom and was like, "You have tattoos, she has tattoos, you guys should be friends!" As if -- but it turned out she was pretty cool and also Noah's wife. 2) A few days later, we went to a Jondix art show here in L.A. (where we met @ian among others) that just happened to be at the center. I don't believe in all that hippie shit but for sure the universe was trying to tell me something.

Anyway if you happen to be in SoCal check 'em out Against The Stream Buddhist Meditation Society but they're also opening one in San Fran and in NYC there's Dharma Punx which I plan to check out when I'm there next month.

@DJDeepFried That sounds awesome. I'd love to do something like that. I spent a great deal of time (daily) doing meditation at a local Buddhist center in the city where I did my MA. It was such a gruelling and unpleasant process that I needed some way to manage the stress. Meditation was a brilliant way to work things out. I lost the habit when I moved back to Toronto, but I'm seriously thinking about finding a place here and starting up again.

@DJDeepFried That sounds awesome. I'd love to do something like that. I spent a great deal of time (daily) doing meditation at a local Buddhist center in the city where I did my MA. It was such a gruelling and unpleasant process that I needed some way to manage the stress. Meditation was a brilliant way to work things out. I lost the habit when I moved back to Toronto, but I'm seriously thinking about finding a place here and starting up again.

I know they're trying to branch out but in the meantime there's podcasts and YouTube videos you can check out. I feel pretty lucky to have a place in my city that's the right vibe. I do meditate at home now (almost) every day but I wouldn't have the motivation if I didn't at least go to weekly classes.

I know they're trying to branch out but in the meantime there's podcasts and YouTube videos you can check out. I feel pretty lucky to have a place in my city that's the right vibe. I do meditate at home now (almost) every day but I wouldn't have the motivation if I didn't at least go to weekly classes.

I've been sitting here, allegedly writing an article, but in reality I'm checking out local centres. The only one near me is somewhat controversial (New Kadampa Tradition), so I may have to look to the west end of the city where there seem to be more options. I'm glad you brought this up - I've needed a kick in the pants to get moving on it again! Thanks!

Anyway if you happen to be in SoCal check 'em out Against The Stream Buddhist Meditation Society but they're also opening one in San Fran and in NYC there's Dharma Punx which I plan to check out when I'm there next month.

Dharma Punx is great! I believe they have a podcast, as well. I keep forgetting to look into it.

I've been sitting here, allegedly writing an article, but in reality I'm checking out local centres. The only one near me is somewhat controversial (New Kadampa Tradition), so I may have to look to the west end of the city where there seem to be more options. I'm glad you brought this up - I've needed a kick in the pants to get moving on it again! Thanks!

I hope you do. I don't know anything about NKT except what I just read on Wikipedia. We saw some folks picketing outside the Forum when we went to see the Dalai Lama which seemed super lame.

- - - Updated - - -

Dharma Punx is great! I believe they have a podcast, as well. I keep forgetting to look into it.

I heard Josh Korda speak when he was visiting L.A. Super smart guy. Went into all this mind-blowing stuff about cutting-edge neuroscience and how it relates to ancient Buddhist ideas.

I heard Josh Korda speak when he was visiting L.A. Super smart guy. Went into all this mind-blowing stuff about cutting-edge neuroscience and how it relates to ancient Buddhist ideas.

Oh shit, I know Josh Korda! Or did, when I was working at the shop he was getting tattooed at.. Kinda wanna check this out..