Some of the worst ever.

abees

Many times artists design pieces directly on the skin using markers and then tattoo from that.

This is true.

The worked been done for me is mostly freehand.

She did used some references I gave her but all was drawn freehand with a marker...

In your respective experiences, did the artists sketch a design beforehand to show their perception of what you were looking for/artistic interpretation to you? Did the markers and freehand happen with artists you had been to before or were otherwise familiar with?

I've been doing as much loving/obsessive research of tattoos over the past few years because, while I've always loved them, I currently only own one poorly executed piece. And nearly everything I've seen thus far, though I know it's nothing compared to first hand experience, has had a stencil and/or initial design/concept.

The freehand and marker sessions were all done by the same artist, with the totally freehand piece being the first he did on me. I had seen other completely freehand work he'd done and been comfortable trusting him. After that, I had no worries discussing an idea for a few minutes, and letting him marker it on, on the spot.

Every other artist I've been to has used a stencil, and I've only gotten one tattoo per artist besides the freehand guy. So it is definitely nice to see the stencil if it's not an artist that you know or have a rapport with.

My back was mostly done without stencils but there were three areas were stenciled because he was reproducing some exact references. I had not worked with this artist before, but went to him based on a tattoo in his portfolio that was done in the style I wanted. Before we ever started, he gave me a proposed design he'd done on a computer and conceptually it was what I got. The very first session he spent about 2 hours with markers laying it all on my back and that first session was one of the stenciled parts - that helped give me confirmation that he was capable of doing what he'd promised. Then each session he'd start with markers for what he intended to do each session. Most times these marker drawings were pretty complex - not just rough sketches.

I imagine it's different with every artist and every tattoo. My artist does use stencils depending on the reference but I suspect that a majority of the times he doesn't. I think it also depends on the type of tattoo; for example, he doesn't do Japanese at all, or much where a large piece is completely lined first.

Now, just because someone has a stencil, doesn't mean they get it right. I have one other small tattoo that was stenciled but it wasn't shaded correctly based on the reference I gave her. Her portfolio had seemed fine. So, there is no rule of thumb except to educate yourself about the artist you choose.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 years later...

To be honest I cant see the problem with this one. The work looks clean and the lines are good. In fact I like it. I generally like colour and dislike sad looking black and grey work anyhow,. Ive seen some shocking black tribal ten times worse than this one.

A bad tattoo is one which has been done badly, this actually looks like it turned out how the client expected.

However if we are talking about personal taste then there's some tattoo snobbery going on here. 

This tattoo I would say was done in the 90''s early noughties and high chance it was bad ass at the time (20years ago) The anti tribal brigade came out in force after that period because artists got bloody tired of doing them. 

Personally its wrong to criticise a tattoo that's done well. Not everyone wants a 3D skull with a dagger through its forehead.

half-sleeve-tribal-tattoo.jpg

Once again just to further my point on the above. What we have here is a tribal freehand custom tattoo. It has made its way on to this topic of worst tattoos due to someone disliking the style .... It has however been executed professionally.  I find that irritating, we all have our own personal tastes, I for example hate American traditional, even though I think they look like jail house convict tattoos if one was done well I wouldn't describe it as shit. Tattoo snobbery is low class. Tribal gets a bad rep but people fail to realise that 20 years ago they were bad ass. Guys, your cool tatts that you have today are going to look shite in 20 years time. Just like this tribal they all have an expiry date were they become outdated, and you'll have guys twenty years younger shaking their heads and smirking at your crap work (in their opinion). But if the tattoo is done well then it will be their just their cocky young minds getting the best of them. Peace out....but hey it's only skin at the end of the day.

5 hours ago, Bobby1978 said:

Once again just to further my point on the above. What we have here is a tribal freehand custom tattoo. It has made its way on to this topic of worst tattoos due to someone disliking the style .... It has however been executed professionally.  I find that irritating, we all have our own personal tastes, I for example hate American traditional, even though I think they look like jail house convict tattoos if one was done well I wouldn't describe it as shit. Tattoo snobbery is low class. Tribal gets a bad rep but people fail to realise that 20 years ago they were bad ass. Guys, your cool tatts that you have today are going to look shite in 20 years time. Just like this tribal they all have an expiry date were they become outdated, and you'll have guys twenty years younger shaking their heads and smirking at your crap work (in their opinion). But if the tattoo is done well then it will be their just their cocky young minds getting the best of them. Peace out....but hey it's only skin at the end of the day.

so I had to jump in here,jail house tattoos rarely have color in them and they are rarely "american traditional",

whether you like it or not,a well applied "american traditional" tattoo will outlast pretty much ANY other style around.

and second, LOL that reference of tribal you posted was not a quality tattoo at all IMO,it's a shitty mess IMO,there is no good color saturation,not a good design, and the middle band is scratcher shit  for sure, and yes,it's outdated trendy crap IMO.

it doesn't make me "low class" or a snob to critique a tattoo,no matter what style it is,it's just my opinion.

Edited by Dan