Some of the worst ever.

abees

This thread makes me really sad. Sad for the people that are walking around with this crap on their bodies. I have to keep reminding myself that it is their own damn fault for letting these people tattoo them.

I don't feel sad for these people at all. I don't want to be smug here, but it really isn't hard to find out about good tattoos and how to get them and if, despite all the easily accessible information out there, you're going to somebody's kitchen that you found out about on Craigslist because it's way cheaper than a reputable shop, then fuck you, you just got the tattoo you deserve.

I don't feel sad for these people at all. I don't want to be smug here, but it really isn't hard to find out about good tattoos and how to get them and if, despite all the easily accessible information out there, you're going to somebody's kitchen that you found out about on Craigslist because it's way cheaper than a reputable shop, then fuck you, you just got the tattoo you deserve.

One of the bigger problems is when people don't know what a good tattoo looks like. There are soooo many shit tattoos out there that people assume that's how they look.

One of the bigger problems is when people don't know what a good tattoo looks like. There are soooo many shit tattoos out there that people assume that's how they look.

I see what you're saying and I have experiences that would support that...BUT I really can't imagine seeing some of the shit posted on this thread and thinking "hey, that looks awesome I want one too". I mean, obviously I'm wrong because people do in fact do exactly that.

This is true. I can't tell you how many times people have said to me "I've always thought tattoos were gross and trashy, but I like yours they're so bright and beautiful"

I feel sorry for those who go to a shop and still get a shitty tattoo. I would like to blame all the people tattooing out of their house for shitty tattoos, but realistically they still only represent a small portion of bad tattoos done.

On a slightly related note, I poked around the ads on craigslist portland today and found that many of these people offering cheap tattoos either aren't bad or are posting pictures of others people's work to trick people which is probably the case as their seem to be some difference in approach that don't add up.

Tattoo Tattoo Tattoo Tattoo Tattoo

great tattoos here

Now here's a shop located on probably the busiest intersection in the the most hipster neighborhood in portland, been there for years cranking out shitty work and their are three other shops on that street who's work is comparable.

jesse's tattoos | Facebook

Picking between the fake portfolio of the craigslist guy or the shop that clearly doesn't know what they are doing? I can see how people would rather go with people off craigslist who they don't realize are fake vs shops like these.

I feel sorry for those who go to a shop and still get a shitty tattoo. I would like to blame all the people tattooing out of their house for shitty tattoos, but realistically they still only represent a small portion of bad tattoos done.

On a slightly related note, I poked around the ads on craigslist portland today and found that many of these people offering cheap tattoos either aren't bad or are posting pictures of others people's work to trick people which is probably the case as their seem to be some difference in approach that don't add up.

Tattoo Tattoo Tattoo Tattoo Tattoo

great tattoos here

Now here's a shop located on probably the busiest intersection in the the most hipster neighborhood in portland, been there for years cranking out shitty work and their are three other shops on that street who's work is comparable.

jesse's tattoos | Facebook

Picking between the fake portfolio of the craigslist guy or the shop that clearly doesn't know what they are doing? I can see how people would rather go with people off craigslist who they don't realize are fake vs shops like these.

I saw one tattoo there that was from an artist I know of for sure.....

I can also attest to the fact that just because the shop is in a hip area doesn't translate to a "hip" tattoo. If they can pay the rent, regardless of how good they are, they can own the shop. Discount tattoos probably help keep them in the black and in the shops.

I agree. If the portfolio is fake, how can the average person know that the real tattoo will turn out like shit.

I see what you're saying and I have experiences that would support that...BUT I really can't imagine seeing some of the shit posted on this thread and thinking "hey, that looks awesome I want one too". I mean, obviously I'm wrong because people do in fact do exactly that.

While the obviously horrendous tattoos were probably not picked, the just above shit and upwards tattoos were probably picked. I have stated it before, that some people just like the idea of having a tattoo. They don't pay attention to the actual image or quality. They just "want a tattoo".

I guess my point with the "hip" thing is if young people live or hang out in an area that is going to be the first place they look for a shop, which is probably what really keeps these shops in business because their tattoo prices are the same if not more, because they charge by the hour and are slow. If A is where the cool kids hang out, or live, or buy their skinny jeans, and B all the cool kids are tattooed, then C must equal they get tattooed there as well. It's the same in the suburbs as most people are scared to go into the city so they go to one of two shops nearest to them.

This thread has bummed me out for awhile, not because of the tattoos but moreso because it isn't elevating tattooing. Its not educating. I don't think anyone would tell their friends/peers/etc about all the worst restaurants in the area if they wanted to answer the question of "what's you favorite place to eat". Nobody would post links to the worst web design or the crappiest album that they're not listening to...I guess I just don't get it. I'm not saying that I haven't fallen victim to it but I think everyone here is above the level of seeking out amatuer efforts for the purposes of entertainment.

I could perhaps, be suffering from the overwhelming negativity of political ads as well as the endless amount of "opinions" and "critisisms" that is the internet. If people put as much effort in doing the good and sharing positivity, we'd all be better people for it.

This thread has bummed me out for awhile, not because of the tattoos but moreso because it isn't elevating tattooing. Its not educating. I don't think anyone would tell their friends/peers/etc about all the worst restaurants in the area if they wanted to answer the question of "what's you favorite place to eat". Nobody would post links to the worst web design or the crappiest album that they're not listening to...I guess I just don't get it. I'm not saying that I haven't fallen victim to it but I think everyone here is above the level of seeking out amatuer efforts for the purposes of entertainment.

I could perhaps, be suffering from the overwhelming negativity of political ads as well as the endless amount of "opinions" and "critisisms" that is the internet. If people put as much effort in doing the good and sharing positivity, we'd all be better people for it.

I know exactly what you are saying. I shyed away from this thread for a long time and that other one about whether the two realism tattoos were the sam, until I felt like I had to throw my two cents in, or I just like to hear myself talk (not sure which one). Shitty tattoos happen everyday, they happen at shops all around us and pretty much you just have to ignore it or try to look at stuff that is uplifting or motivating. Some people talk of breaking hands and burning down shops, but talk is all it is. I have to remember why I joined this forum, the amazing interviews, discussions, and seeing work by really talented tattooers, not to inadvertently promote bad tattoos or tattooers which leads to less exposure for good stuff in tattooing.

This is a good possibility. They haven't seen that many tattoos of any type and go with a lowball price at the first shop they come to, probably on Walk in Wednesday, lol.

Rob

- - - Updated - - -

Some people actually like Velvet Elvis's and Dogs Playing Cards, too. :D

Hmmmmm... those would go great with my lawn-flamingo decor....

Rob

I wonder how many of the truly bad tattoos ou tthere are first tattoos. I know so many people who have not-so-good work that was done at a "tattoo-party" that someone hosted, either at a house or a motel, or that was done by a friend-of-a-friend who kinda knows how, or like that. Seems to me that once you've gotten one lousy one, unless you're completely oblivious, you have to see how it looks compared to decent work.

I might just be a prick, but are you putting one of these "elevate tattooing post" in the 'Random Pic Thread' or the 'Hipster Tattoo Thread"?

Some people like a laugh. plain and simple. If this thread bums you out so much, why are you reading it? Or Did you not even take the time to go through all the pages, found you fell sorry for the scratchers and then decided to knock the dust off the soap box.

So, maybe, you should realize that good AND BAD tattoos help educate. I wish some people knew that every "tattoo shop" they walked into, or every post on craigslist for a tattoo, wasn't gonna "Look like the one's on the TV".

Sorry to be a dick, I'm just following suite.

yeah, i was gonna say.. theres nothing funny about talking about bad resturants or albums.. this shit here though..

but im with you on being bummed.. i came across a couple megathreads with some really sad shit, and then too much of that shit made me sad too (but because of all the really bad tattoos)..

now im going to watch the debate and get more sad..

but if you want gold.. ------>BAD TATTOOS<------ - Page 147 - THE WRITERS FORUM - THE GRAFFITI DESTINATION

that thread is it..

I might just be a prick, but are you putting one of these "elevate tattooing post" in the 'Random Pic Thread' or the 'Hipster Tattoo Thread"?

Some people like a laugh. plain and simple. If this thread bums you out so much, why are you reading it? Or Did you not even take the time to go through all the pages, found you fell sorry for the scratchers and then decided to knock the dust off the soap box.

So, maybe, you should realize that good AND BAD tattoos help educate. I wish some people knew that every "tattoo shop" they walked into, or every post on craigslist for a tattoo, wasn't gonna "Look like the one's on the TV".

Sorry to be a dick, I'm just following suite.

Nevermind, carry on. Educate on. Best of luck