Going to Hawaii right before tattoo. Concerns?

stormface

I'm getting my first tattoo on my upper arm in about two weeks. I'll be in Hawaii for the entire week before I go in. I'm an engineer in "real life" and don't see a ton of sun if you know what I mean. I'm going to be extra diligent in terms of sunscreen application... Anything else I can do to make sure my skin is healthy and not burned before the tattoo?

• 9 months later...
I'm getting my first tattoo on my upper arm in about two weeks. I'll be in Hawaii for the entire week before I go in. I'm an engineer in "real life" and don't see a ton of sun if you know what I mean. I'm going to be extra diligent in terms of sunscreen application... Anything else I can do to make sure my skin is healthy and not burned before the tattoo?

we get plenty of work done when we go to the islands,

1)make the tattoo appt the last day you are there

2)slather on the sunscreen & stay out of the sun the entire time before the tattoo(main idea is,any artist should not and will not tattoo red skin.)

hell,I go to Maui & Kauai 2 times a year,and I don't like the sun ! even if I'm not going to get a tattoo,I still use SPF50 everyday on the islands.

I even bring my own beach shade umbrella and use that,or I find a tree to sit under.I generally try and stay out of the sun.

I even use it here at home too,daily ! I work outdoors and I put it on if I am going to be in the sun,the sun is bad for any skin,especially bad for tattoos.

Sunscreen is your best friend. Especially if you plan on getting more tattoos, getting in the habit of putting sunscreen on DAILY will help not only your tattoos, but your skin in general will thank you in the long run. Make sure you re-apply sunscreen after you get out of the water as well, even if it claims it's "waterproof".