Any gun owners out there?

slayer9019

I'm the gun noob here. My wife and I are moving out to the country very soon though so I look forward to getting a couple. I'd like to get a handgun of some sort and a shotgun. I have kind of an odd question though I'm thinking you all may be able to help with. What would be a good to setup to shoot into? The place is about 2.5acres so there is plenty of space, but it's all flat so there aren't any hills to fire into.

I'm the gun noob here. My wife and I are moving out to the country very soon though so I look forward to getting a couple. I'd like to get a handgun of some sort and a shotgun. I have kind of an odd question though I'm thinking you all may be able to help with. What would be a good to setup to shoot into? The place is about 2.5acres so there is plenty of space, but it's all flat so there aren't any hills to fire into.

There are plenty of good threads over at some of the good gun forums about this Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association is a good place for info about this as are some survivalist forums as those guys have a lot of there own ranges.

The best thing to do is first look up local regulations about firearms discharging on private property, also ask your neighbours!

After it's all clear with the legal stuff, make sure you got a good backstop. Sandbags are ok but really a big old pile of dirt that is thick with no rocks in it is optimal. Rocks cause dangerous deflections. Depending on caliber fired will help determine thickness of backstop but ticker is always better. Also make sure it is pretty high as stray rounds are bad.

A good sight about over-penetration (no laughs) and general kick-ass gun knowledge is box-o-truth.

"...otherwise every gang member would be running around packing a matchlock."

That would be a bit weird for sure... 'Give me all your money' as he takes out his power, takes out the ram rod, slowly packing his black power rifle......

Wow, I truly feel sorry for you! Well if you ever feel like heading over "the pond", I'm sure we got a spot for you!

Here is a nice little tidbit of "saving the public". Those damn Olympic marksmen are down right dangerous!

UK Olympic Pistol Shooters Allowed to Practice with Mock Pistols « Daily Bulletin

Another wow article. "Unlike shotguns and rifles, pistols have no application outside personal violence"

Olympics: Why Britain's shooters should stop whinging about pistol ban | Sport | The Guardian

In my view the GB pistol team should have boycotted the Olympics. As a matter of principle, if nothing else.

At least it would have caused a little bit of embarrassment to the UK government.

One of the problems is that UK shooters have never really stuck together.

As far as the guy who wrote the article in the Guardian he is an idiot. He knows nothing about guns or shooting. What criminal would be the slightest bit interested in a single shot .22 rimfire target pistol.

As for the ban on pistols it has done nothing to stop gun crime. But then it’s a lot easier to take guns from law abiding people than it is from criminals.

And as for the notion that you should have the right to defend yourself, heaven forbid.

In my view the GB pistol team should have boycotted the Olympics. As a matter of principle, if nothing else.

At least it would have caused a little bit of embarrassment to the UK government.

One of the problems is that UK shooters have never really stuck together.

As far as the guy who wrote the article in the Guardian he is an idiot. He knows nothing about guns or shooting. What criminal would be the slightest bit interested in a single shot .22 rimfire target pistol.

As for the ban on pistols it has done nothing to stop gun crime. But then it’s a lot easier to take guns from law abiding people than it is from criminals.

And as for the notion that you should have the right to defend yourself, heaven forbid.

Preach!!

Church

Used to have a whole slew of different weapons, everything from little hideout pistols, the Kel-Tec P3-AT is my favorite, to full-house .44 mags, to M14s, and everythign in-between.

They all got stolen in a break-in about a year ago, I swear!

My dad got about 11 different guns stolen from him about 20 years ago in a break-in. 9 have been found and returned over the years. Still holding out hope for the other two.

I just have a 22 and it shoots just fine. I like guns, i hold my own as far as target shooting. Use it mainly as a deterrent to those infamous home invasions that are becoming popular in Camada; 1 occured on our street. Elderly couple. I have an FAC sticker on my door, 2 dogs and a mean hubby... I gave the old couple a sticker as well. I do not know if i would have the nerve to shoot at someone; i hope to God i would in a case where my family would be in danger.

I just have a 22 and it shoots just fine. I like guns, i hold my own as far as target shooting. Use it mainly as a deterrent to those infamous home invasions that are becoming popular in Camada; 1 occured on our street. Elderly couple. I have an FAC sticker on my door, 2 dogs and a mean hubby... I gave the old couple a sticker as well. I do not know if i would have the nerve to shoot at someone; i hope to God i would in a case where my family would be in danger.

Shooting people comes easy.. its WTF to do with the body that is the problem. A dumpster is good, but would involve some planning to pull off without being seen.

CG

Oh my!!! CG.... How cynical... But ever heard of a shovel? And i live by the lake, close to the Detroit River.... Many ciment blocs are at the bottom of that , or so i heard....lol

Never pointed a firearm at anyone; dont know what it would feel like. But hubby has; we had a farm and some religious pamphlet carrier freak just walked in the house. DH was cleaning his gun and just was so surprised that he pointed the gun andcalmly told the guy to come outside with him. Nothing against religion, but walking in in a farmhouse in the middle of nowhere? Not a good idea... Never saw him again. Believe he was a horse thief snooping around, but just my theory...,

i recently got my hands on a flintlock adesa spain kentucky .45 musket. Traded a kindle fire for it, has all original brass (never polished so shows it has age) on it with no damage to any of the wood stock. no clue as far as value or how to tell if its a repro, but i like it alot. also have a marlin 22. Its awesome when I'm squirrel hunting.

I recently had a Ruger .22 passed down to be from my Grandfather. I had to send it back to them to get a new trigger put on it since he filed it down to a point where it wasn't safe anymore. It has turned into a cheap and fun gun to shoot.

i think .22s are seriously under-rated. fun, CHEAP, available and did I say cheap? Plus they are great for honing in your shot groups. Like my dad said if you can't get good groups with a .22 what the hell do you think you will do with a .308?

I'm big into handguns and have had my CCW for over ten years. Here is what I have:

-Kahr pm9 (daily carry)

-Glock 36, .45 (nice powerful carry)

-Sig 239 .40 SA/DA

-S&W 686p .357 mag (4", 7 rounds)

-Dan Wesson Pointman 7, .45 1911 (now owned by CZ, better 1911 than Kimber)

-CZ 75 Shadow (Custom target 9mm w/fiber optics)

Additionally I have a small .22 revolver and a .20 guage shotgun.

This guy Hickok45 makes some pretty informative videos on arms.

- - - Updated - - -

i think .22s are seriously under-rated. fun, CHEAP, available and did I say cheap? Plus they are great for honing in your shot groups. Like my dad said if you can't get good groups with a .22 what the hell do you think you will do with a .308?

Best .22 gun ever -

- - - Updated - - -

Heres for you 1911 guys

@eisen777, I've been to almost every gun shop and indoor range in the state of CT and by far my favorite range is Wolf's in Bristol.

Here's my CZ and my Dan Wesson. Both have custom made grips and are extremely accurate firearms and fun to shoot.

I always did like a big beaver tail, you can really get your hand it better, makes for a good grip.

I was shooting up on our property in WV this past weekend.....thought I'd share!

Bunny_8_2012.jpg

LUCKY!! I wish I could shoot on my own property. Apparently my landlord said that firing guns from my fire escape in a 200+ person building next to two schools is no acceptable. :(

Time to move to Texas!

Also nice AR

• 1 month later...

A bit off-and-on topic here. I ran across a great question on some firearms documentation I was filling out (damn you NJ). The question read:

List any scars, tattoos or identifying marks:

The problem was it was a line about 3 inches long.....So I started a list and continued down the side of the page. This considering I am not heavily tattooed...What do people do that are covered? Answer "Got a shit-ton of tattoos and such", then list one or two favourites.