Any gun owners out there?

slayer9019

If it's an IMA rifle, double-check to make sure it was manufactured AT the BSA arsenal, and isn't one of the ones made under license! I'll get you some loading stuff from my friend, he has been loading for his for quite awhile.

Its definitely a BSA rifle.

It'll be great if you can get me reloading info. Info on reloading is quite thin on the ground. Much appreciated.

I own a pistol SIG P220 and a rifle SIG 550 but I haven't used them in a longtime.

bist Du Soldaten oder Polizei, oder Shweiz?

- - - Updated - - -

Its definitely a BSA rifle.

It'll be great if you can get me reloading info. Info on reloading is quite thin on the ground. Much appreciated.

Compliments of my pal Jimmy, known as JBW on the Enfield boards...

Brass/origin: Jamison/USA, Bertram/Australia, or reformed CBC-Magtech 24 gauge brass hulls/Brazil. All are Boxer primed. (CBC brass uses lg. pistol primers)

Powder: ffg (2f) black powder 75 to 85 grains by weight, or BP 2f substitute by VOLUME measure.The 577-450 doesn't care for lighter charges due to the bottleneck design.

Bullet: From .468 or .470 diameter. 405gr. or heavier. Again, the MH doesn't care for lighter weight bullets for reasonable ranges. Liquid alox lube prevents crud ringing when using sub-powders.

.458 to .460 diameter bullets need to be paper patched. Beeswax 'cookie' beneath the bullet for lube.

Overpowder filler: Carded wool, Cream of Wheat (COW), or shredded surgical cotton. Carded wool is difficult to locate in smaller amounts. COW compresses in the bottleneck (at least in my mind's eye) so I've been using sterile cotton. No oils or perfumes to contaminate the powder.

Shred apart and use enough to lightly fill the void. Contrary to popular opinion BP doesn't need to be compressed as tightly in a cartridge the same as in a muzzleloader.

There are no cheap loadings money-wise. Cartridge and needed components won't allow for it. However a "soft ball" load for under 75 yards for plinking and/or pest control cosists of using a .480 diameter swaged round ball in lieu of a bullet.

There is also a smokeless for black loading which I have never used. Different loading rules which involves IMR 4198. No data from me. Just a heads up in case you may be so inclined to persue that route. It's out there.

Nice! i think 9mm is a garbage caliber anyways (just my opinion.) as for the shortage, its crazy. I can get ammo at near regular price but it still is becoming insanely expensive fast.

Not to start a forum war, but I seriously do NOT get why people say things like this. When I sold my Glock 27 (.40) and bought a Ruger LCP (.380) one of my friends made the lame-o comment along the lines of that's stupid, that's not a defensive round and it won't do anything! Really? Stand in front of my gun as I pull the trigger, you tell me.

I'm a photographer, there is an old saying the best camera is the one you have with you and this translates to carry weapons and self defense rounds. The only difference between a .22LR round and an AR-15 .223 round is .003 and more gun powder, the hole is virtually the same.

I enjoy the sport of shooting, hence the reason I bought a S&W AR-15-22. At the time 500 or 555 rounds cost $20-22 at Wal-Mart. I can shoot all day, my shoulder doesn't hurts and in the end, we're just putting holes in paper.

Last box of 50 target rounds I bought in .380 was $20, I can shoot twice as many with my CCW weapon for the same amount as those who prefer to carry .45. It's not all about saving $$, it's about having fun for me and also being as efficient and comfortable with a draw of a CCW as possible, based off muscle memory. If I can get there twice as fast for half as much money, I will.

To each their own. The reason anyone buys any one particular caliber over another, for personal or home defense, hunting, plinking, target shooting for the sport of it or compensating for other lacking areas of their life is on them. To say one caliber is junk over another is kind of an ignorant thing though.

Not to start a forum war, but I seriously do NOT get why people say things like this. When I sold my Glock 27 (.40) and bought a Ruger LCP (.380) one of my friends made the lame-o comment along the lines of that's stupid, that's not a defensive round and it won't do anything! Really? Stand in front of my gun as I pull the trigger, you tell me.

I'm a photographer, there is an old saying the best camera is the one you have with you and this translates to carry weapons and self defense rounds. The only difference between a .22LR round and an AR-15 .223 round is .003 and more gun powder, the hole is virtually the same.

I enjoy the sport of shooting, hence the reason I bought a S&W AR-15-22. At the time 500 or 555 rounds cost $20-22 at Wal-Mart. I can shoot all day, my shoulder doesn't hurts and in the end, we're just putting holes in paper.

Last box of 50 target rounds I bought in .380 was $20, I can shoot twice as many with my CCW weapon for the same amount as those who prefer to carry .45. It's not all about saving $$, it's about having fun for me and also being as efficient and comfortable with a draw of a CCW as possible, based off muscle memory. If I can get there twice as fast for half as much money, I will.

To each their own. The reason anyone buys any one particular caliber over another, for personal or home defense, hunting, plinking, target shooting for the sport of it or compensating for other lacking areas of their life is on them. To say one caliber is junk over another is kind of an ignorant thing though.

Ill Explain why i think this.

My Pops was Highway Patrol for 30 years, all of the officers hated 9mm,(thats why i dislike them) not enough stopping power. thats why cops now carry .45 ACP. Dont get me wrong i like shooting 9mm, its just id never buy one. As for a CCW stand-point i carry a .45 ACP. I used to carry a .22 LR, so Size of the bullet does not matter to me. as for "Just" shooting holes in paper....Get some tanerite (hopefully i spelled that right) make some explosions. They make some for rimfire and some for centerfire rifles. But as for choosing a caliber for a lacking part of your life is horse shit! Only assholes "compensate." most people i know that use guns for anything is usually statistical, 50-Cal for hunting gives you more distance you can shoot something. .45 ACP for defense, you only need one shot if it comes to that. Everything depends on what your using it for and what your comfortable with. Im comfy with a .45 ACP for Carry, 410 judge for home defense (so it wont go through walls), and a .257 weatherby for hunting (which is not a big round). but i digress, I have a test in the morning and need to get some shut eye,

Ill Explain why i think this.

My Pops was Highway Patrol for 30 years, all of the officers hated 9mm,(thats why i dislike them) not enough stopping power. thats why cops now carry .45 ACP.

I mean zero disrespect to your Pops, but if he disliked the fact that the sun rises in the east and sets in the west, would you too dislike that?

Again, I don't mean to start a forum war here, but when you say these things, it just sounds silly. I'm willing to bet a crisp dollar bill that your Pops and everyone he worked with for all 30 of those years on the Highway Patrol never shot more rounds while on duty than is held in one standard 1911 magazine.

Dont get me wrong i like shooting 9mm, its just id never buy one.

9mm is ammo, you don't shoot it, it a projectile that leaves a weapon you're firing. There's a reason so many people opt to get a .22 conversion for their 9, .40 or .45 pistol, or buy the .22 equivalent to it such as a Walther p22, or even a Ruger Mark II/45. They do it because they want to be proficient with muscle memory and trigger feel, without the wrist-snapping that is commonly associated with shooting 2-300 rounds at a time out of the larger calibers.

As for a CCW stand-point i carry a .45 ACP. I used to carry a .22 LR, so Size of the bullet does not matter to me. as for "Just" shooting holes in paper....Get some tanerite (hopefully i spelled that right) make some explosions. They make some for rimfire and some for centerfire rifles. But as for choosing a caliber for a lacking part of your life is horse shit! Only assholes "compensate."

If the weapon you choose to carry is comfortable, you can draw and accurately fire, and then reholster it safely, then it's the right gun for you. For me personally, I have yet to find a weapon larger than 9mm that I can carry year round IWB without printing that I can consistently draw from. The 9mm I did own was a Kel-Tec P11, perhaps one of the most poorly manufactured guns I've ever owned and I'm glad I no longer own it.

most people i know that use guns for anything is usually statistical, 50-Cal for hunting gives you more distance you can shoot something. .45 ACP for defense, you only need one shot if it comes to that. Everything depends on what your using it for and what your comfortable with. Im comfy with a .45 ACP for Carry, 410 judge for home defense (so it wont go through walls), and a .257 weatherby for hunting (which is not a big round). but i digress, I have a test in the morning and need to get some shut eye,

Again, you pick the round that's accurate for your ultimate goals and that you are most comfortable with. This fight has happened hundreds of times on the web, there is countless ballistics tests and scientific info that you can find an accurate answer about penetrating size, depth, muzzle velocity, and so on.

As I said earlier, the best camera is the one you have with you.

I mean zero disrespect to your Pops, but if he disliked the fact that the sun rises in the east and sets in the west, would you too dislike that?

30+ years of experience my dad has with a gun to your what? couple? I know my shit about guns, I probably own more than you too.

Again, I don't mean to start a forum war here, but when you say these things, it just sounds silly. I'm willing to bet a crisp dollar bill that your Pops and everyone he worked with for all 30 of those years on the Highway Patrol never shot more rounds while on duty than is held in one standard 1911 magazine.

Yes he never discharged his weapon on duty, but he did when he was IN FUCKING VIETNAM.

9mm is ammo, you don't shoot it, it a projectile that leaves a weapon you're firing.

Its new to me that you dont shoot ammo. Pretty sure thats why they say "shoot something."

If you didn't want to start a thread war you could just always just respect peoples opinions.

switzerland ;)

alles ist klar!

- - - Updated - - -

Damn...see, now this is why I don't visit the gun-forums too much.

Personally, I won't have a 9mm, but I do like .380ACP for carry. Too much danger of over-penetration with a 9, and the advantage it gives you over a .380 with modern ammo is minimal. The one exception, for me, is 9mm Largo. Beautiful round, better ballistics than a .357, and about zero recoil in most weapons chambered for it.

The .45ACP is a wonderful round. Forget all that about putting someone down with one shot to the pinky, but yeah, it has a much higher chance of stopping someone than a 9mm does. FWIW, very, very few LEO carry a .45 as their primary duty weapon. "Most" departments won't authorize any single-action weapon, out of fear of liability. If I did have to pick one handgun to rely on for everything, it would be a 1911A1.

All that said, there is no reason to get all bent out of shape about this shit. Mike P. tried to make a coupla points, one, that maybe you should put forward your own opinion, based on your own experience, and two, that most active-duty LEO never fire their weapon except at the range. Both valid points. Disagreement is fine, but no need to get abusive.

Oh, and in-country, very, very, very few people used a 9mm handgun-or ANY handgun, as much of anything but a lucky-charm. That's simply a statement of fact, not an attack on your Dad, or anyone else that had the pleasure of participating in the S.E.A. war-games.

If we are going to engage in semantics, you "shoot" a target, you discharge ammo, you fire a weapon.

Now...can youse kids quit yer fuckin bickering?@!

9mm has hollow points..that helps with over-penetration. Or so I hear. I

Very true, but at the speeds it runs, and in the close-quarters typically found in self-defense situations, hollow-points consistently fail to expand, whether because they are through the mass before they can, or because-and this is more common-they are clogged with textiles before they can.

I would never tell someone NOT to use a 9, it's strictly a personal preference thing. I saw a friend of mine take a 9mm Super-Vel sjhp centerpunchin the belly from about three feet. He doubled-up, ran down a flight of stairs, across two front yards, up two flights of stairs, and blew away the shooter with the .357 he recovered from his room. That kinda soured me on them. Saw some similar things over the years that reinforced that feeling, but again, it's strictly a matter of personal preference.

@Ducky15568 - thank your Pops for me for serving his country, and protecting our Highways.

I saw a friend of mine take a 9mm Super-Vel sjhp centerpunchin the belly from about three feet. He doubled-up, ran down a flight of stairs, across two front yards, up two flights of stairs, and blew away the shooter with the .357 he recovered from his room. That kinda soured me on them. Saw some similar things over the years that reinforced that feeling, but again, it's strictly a matter of personal preference.
]

I hope your friend is OK!

I think I always preferred the 10mm over the 9. I have shot a couple pistols chambered in 10 and really liked them. I guess it would be damn near the same thing as a .40. And, I really love the .40 alot. My favorite pistols are a Sig and a couple different Gloack chambered in .40. Fullsize by the way, that sub-compact shit is for little girls.

To end the debate all over the internets...

This is the only true 1-shot man-stopper pistol

50BMG In the palm of your hand.

50-Cal-BMG-Pistol.jpg

In reality there has been soo many statistics and debates over the years that to me show it really just comes down to personal preference. Like myself I prefer a wheel gun for reliability. While I've only had a couple jams or stovepipes over the years, nothing is more reliable than a hammerless wheelgun.

To end the debate all over the internets...

This is the only true 1-shot man-stopper pistol

50BMG In the palm of your hand.

50-Cal-BMG-Pistol.jpg

In reality there has been soo many statistics and debates over the years that to me show it really just comes down to personal preference. Like myself I prefer a wheel gun for reliability. While I've only had a couple jams or stovepipes over the years, nothing is more reliable than a hammerless wheelgun.

Also forgot to mention the 2 facts about self-defense weapons.

1. A gun is only good for defense if you know how/can to use it

2. It's only as good as your training. It's a tool.

3. Remember Index, fire, re-index. Smaller cal weapons tend to be easier to re-index.

4. 15+ in the stack is better than 8 in the stack

5. If your accurate just about any cal. is a "man stopper"

6. Disregard #5 there is no such thing as a "man stopper"

also just about every round over-penetrates in a home scenario. check out http://www.theboxotruth.com/ - Even the "wimpy" 22LR will easily pop through 6 sheets of drywall.

- thank your Pops for me for serving his country, and protecting our Highways.

I would thank him for you, but he passed away about two years ago (still shocked by it) which is why I went on the defensive toward you, I apologize. Reviewing what I said I feel I came off hot headed and 100% not constructive.