Kitsune

• 1 year later...
Who's the artist for that one? I like those simple Japanese tattoos.

Sorry, the page was in Japanese and the English words were misspelled, the page is here https://www.facebook.com/pages/Japans-toraditional-tattoo/525517887508538

I can't see a tattooists name, but the link to the website says 'Horihso' so possibly that is that artists name. Check out the facebook page, he posts some real nice Tebori work.

Am I right in thinking there are two types of Kitsune in Japanese stories? The benevolent kind and malevolent kind, anyone have any more specific info on this?

THE FOX SPIRIT  

Kitsune 狐 = Fox

By the 11th century, for reasons hard to discern, Inari becomes intricately associated with the fox. In Japan, the fox is a legendary creature with supernatural powers for doing both good and evil. Able to transform into human shape (typically that of a bewitching woman), and to hear and see all secrets of humankind, the fox is Inari’s messenger. Even today, fox statues are found in great number inside and outside the thousands of Japanese shrines dedicated to Inari (some 20,000 Inari shrines nationwide; some sources say 30,000). Characteristics of Inari shrines are red torii (gates) protected by a pair of fox statues, one on the left and one on the right. The fox, moreover, is associated with the concept of Kimon 鬼門 (a Japanese term stemming from Chinese geomancy; literally “demon gate”). Kimon generally means ominous direction, or taboo direction, and can be most accurately translated as "demon gate to the northeast," or the "northeast place where demons gather and enter." The fox, like the monkey, is able to ward off evil kimon, and therefore the fox, in Japan, plays the role of guarding the demon gate to the northeast. Chinese concepts of geomancy (i.e., feng shui) are discussed here.

Although the lore of fox magic was introduced to Japan from China and Korea, it originated in India. Nonetheless, the supernatural powers of the fox are not exclusive to Asia, for fox mythology exists -- quite independently -- in many non-Asian nations as well.

Source - Oinari, Fox Spirit, God of Japan, Photo Dictionary of Japanese Buddhist & Shinto Deities

I'm going to post some more pictures I found, and when I have time I'll try to find out who made all of these so I can credit them.

Am I right in thinking there are two types of Kitsune in Japanese stories? The benevolent kind and malevolent kind, anyone have any more specific info on this?
I've been doing some research on kitsune since I decided they were cool tattoos. Some are considered servants of the deity Inari, and are considered more trustworthy than wild foxes. According to Japanese tales all foxes are capable of magic, however, and wild foxes can be both good or evil.

Here are some links about foxes in case anyone wants them.

Kitsune, Kumiho, Huli Jing, Fox - Fox spirits in Asia, and Asian fox spirits in the West

Kitsune Lore

Kitsune

Kitsune Page - Myths and Ancient Stories - Japanese

Kesa thru Kodansha

Main/Kitsune - Television Tropes & Idioms

I'm thinking of going down to the NYC tattoo convention to try to get this done. The website says the Horitoshi family will be there. I don't know how easy it will be to get something like this done though, I've never gotten a tattoo in my life and I've never been to a tattoo convention.

Strongly considering a Kitsune now also. I love foxes in general, and although the 9 tailed fox is more mythical, still looks beautiful.

Talking to my tattoo artist about completing my leg, he ran me through the options that work with the Tsuru and minogame I have on my thigh. Kirin, Baku or Kitsune are what I am considering to complete the auspicious animal theme, all with sakura in the background.

• 3 weeks later...

Hmm, I just saw this part:

"Kitsune, or fox, grow in power as they age. After a century, they grow a tail and gain the ability to shape-shift and possess people. The most powerful foxes are those who reach the grand old age of 1,000 (the so-called nine-tailed fox). When a kitsune gains nine tails, its fur becomes silver, white, or gold, and it gains the power of infinite vision."

So in keeping with tradition, nine-tailed Kitsune should be silver, white, or gold then?

• 2 months later...