A mother's psychotic overreaction to her son's tattoo.

Pugilist

obviously I have nothing against tattoos and my husband has a bunch, but as a mother, I would be sad if my babies got any tattoos....that being said, i would be sad if they pierced their ears, dyed their hair, get scars on their bodies because to me, they are perfect, little, soft skinned babies...my babies.

and even when they are hairy, smelly men, I will probably always think of them as these perfect, yummy smelling babies. Shit, i prolonged them getting their first haircuts for the longest time. @steve1461686340, @Lochlan, and @Barbie Doll can attest to that.

Lol ur a sweetheart Tammy:)

I feel like my mom would have posted something this nuts when I first got tattooed if she had a facebook back then. She's a mom. Since she didn't, I think she instinctively just kind of punched me in the leg and complained to me for a month or so. She is completely over it and is fancies herself a connoisseur now. I know I wouldn't be a brat like this woman was, but I'm going to freak out when my daughter first dyes her hair or gets a dumb piercing.

I think though the emotions are embellished otherwise the story would read "21 year old son gets tattoo, mom gets upset, big fucking deal".

The mom's reaction albeit a little melodramatic really is not that surprising. I wore long sleeves and long pants full-time at the family house and continued to coverup at family dinners for years until my naive family called me out for wearing pants and a shirt in 30C humidity. I said fine, here you go, this is me. Deal with it.

Mom got over it eventually, now she just thinks they are colourful and tasteful. My Dad, he still rolls his eyes and pretends the tattoos don't exist. My sister thinks she is a rebel because she secretly got her belly button pierced.

On the flip side, the mother-in-law thinks nice tasteful tattoos are cool and wants one herself. But when the sister-in-law tried to call out Mom for being so stern and harsh when she came home with facial piercings 10 years ago things got heated and weird RFQ. Good thing we didn't start talking about the ship anchor that's hanging from dink.

I was a bit sympathetic until I got to this:

I say, "You couldn't have done anything to hurt me more."

Really?? Not if he raped or killed someone? Not if he told her he was running away to join some crazy cult out in Alaska and was never going to see her again? Nothing would hurt her more than modifying his own skin on his own shoulder to be how he likes it? This woman doesn't appreciate the son she has, if that's what she thinks.

After I got my tattoo, my mom told me she had always wanted a big Japanese style tattoo on her back (she loves Japanese stuff) and regretted not getting it when she was younger, haha. I told her it's not too late!!

obviously I have nothing against tattoos and my husband has a bunch, but as a mother, I would be sad if my babies got any tattoos....that being said, i would be sad if they pierced their ears, dyed their hair, get scars on their bodies because to me, they are perfect, little, soft skinned babies...my babies.

and even when they are hairy, smelly men, I will probably always think of them as these perfect, yummy smelling babies. Shit, i prolonged them getting their first haircuts for the longest time. @steve1461686340, @Lochlan, and @Barbie Doll can attest to that.

When my oldest, now 25, was born, my 'rents drove up from Arkansas to see him. I was seriously planning on putting a big set of H-D wings on his chest-the transfer-tattoo kind, but I relented at the last minute...figured Moms would stroke-out on the spot.

"He's done the one thing that I've said for years, please don't do this. It would really upset me if you did this."

If she really had been going on and on about it for years, and clearly has all kinds of weird overbearing mom issues, what choice did the poor guy have? He might not even like tattoos, either, but she practically dared him to do it. All healthy kids need to put some space between themselves and their parents at all different developmental milestones. Henry walked around with his hat on sideways for 6 months when he was 5 cause he heard Scott say that he hated it. Perfectly normal. Talking about your grown son's "lovely shoulder" and mourning the loss of control over his body? Creepy.

My Grandfather I lived with was like that he hated Tattoos because his father that disowned his family had them.

Luckily I got my first after he passed away I thought my mum would go off but she just refuses to look at it, when she found out after my first one she just said I never thought you would go through something like that and was more worried and still is about clean needles she even loaned me a couple of hundred to add a nature background to my first tattoo of a eagle i got.

My father didn't get involved at all even though he admitting he does not like Tats but while I got my Half Sleeve 2 months ago he kept asking me what are good studios to go to as we wants a bit of ink at 63years old I think he is going through a crisis.

I think the comments on that "article" are actually worse. For each person condemning her, there is some ignoramus who feels exactly like her.

The one comment that really irks me is, someone said "Don't people get bored of waking up and seeing the same crass images on their arms or bodies every day." I don't get it. This person likes looking at plain boring pale skin? Do they not have any art hanging in their home? Surely they must constantly rotate out there pieces so they aren't looking at the same art every day. Hypocrites are terrible at rationalizing their thoughts.

Then the commentor goes on to call young people sheep. This is probably done in between shoving fistfuls of McDonald's fries in to their fat face as they sit in a lounge chair on a laptop while watching reality TV. Tell me who the real sheep is, dammit don't get me started ARGH!

Then the commentor goes on to call young people sheep.

That comment was annoying! I suppose if someone goes out and gets the exact same tattoos as someone else and puts them in the same place single white female style...that person could be called a sheep or more appropriately, a psycho. Tattoos, regardless of how many people have them, are still an individualistic pursuit in my eyes. We each decide what we are getting and where we are getting it. It's creative and fun and none of us look the same. Now all that plain skin is another story. It's just so crass and boring to look at day in and day out hahaha. Just kidding, I don't care if people don't have tattoos.

On a side note, while my mom hates tattoos--when I told my dad I wanted more and his response was, "Well, you have more space!" He doesn't have any, he's just more open minded like that.

The woman who wrote the article is disturbed & half of the commenters are lunatics. I "shut off" when I encounter shit like that.

I'm grateful for my mom in many ways. She wasn't super thrilled about my tattoos at first, but never said anything negative. She loves them now though and even watches out for them (more sunscreen!) :).

I only recently showed my dad my tattoo. He was obviously unhappy about it, I think mostly because it finally hammered home to him that his little girl was an adult (I guess moving across the country by myself, working nights to finance my own degree, and starting a career didn't tip him off). My father just asked a few questions and then got real quiet. Since then I think he's come to terms with it... at least he never bothers me about it.

I'm guessing that's what's going on with this woman... it's not SO much that he got a tattoo but that she abruptly realized that he isn't her baby anymore, and never will be again. But, unlike my dad, this woman is just too emotionally immature to deal with it so she freaks out and blames him. I feel bad for him. Must have been some very frustrating teenage years in that house.

• 2 weeks later...

Ha ha what a truly odious woman she must be.

My Mum always rolls her eyes, acts shocked and says 'Right! That's it now. No more!!' But when I was living at home she would always make me show her friends my latest one & still does when i visit.

My response is always 'what makes you think I am not getting any more Mum!?'

After my 12th she threatened to stop doing my washing for me if I got any more. She lives close by & as I am single & live alone she still does it (why have a dog & bark yourself right!? Ha ha)

I had my 13th last week & showed her & she's still doing my washing.

My Nan is 95 and is super old fashioned as I guess is her prerogative & when she first saw i was tattooed (swallows on ankles) she looked as if somebody had fed her a dog shit sandwich - the look of pure disgust. She didn't say a word.

4 weeks later my birthday card arrived & it had birds on it. She wrote at the bottom - 'I know you like birds' ha ha.

She has since been quoted as saying "I can understand him getting one out of sheet stupidity but to get more!?" she doesn't get it at all but she doesn't love me any the less. She can see I'm still a good person albeit "intelligent to a point" apparently, only to a point cheers Nan!! :)

My Mum is the absolute best & loves me unconditionally like all parents should love their kids. I guess I do count myself lucky but that's the way it should be surely!! This woman needs to get a fucking grip!!

• 2 weeks later...
23831_113770558639359_4161438_n_thumb.jpg When my parents saw my first tattoo when I was 18 they freaked. We were out in the middle of no where and i was wearing a white tank, in alaska. I swam in the lake we were at and they saw this naked chick with her lady parts cover in dragon claws and dragons on her arms. LMFAO I said, :At least she's not totally naked!!"