Ahhh, I should really learn from Hogg, otherwise I wouldn't have my own question about stripping down for a backpiece. I just started adding the background to my backpiece. The 1st session, we outlined my upper back and sides. But my next 2 sessions will be to outline my waist to the back of knees, so I'm going to have to get nekkid. Taking a bath, obviously avoiding food that will give me the backside burps, and tipping double aside (cuz really, who wants to stare at bloody swollen ass for hours?), what do Artists prefer their clients do? Do you just expect your clients to strip down, cup 'em and cough? Or should I go about looking for a fundoshi (sp?)? I only had to strip down completely once for outlining when I got the main subject done, but now that I'll have to strip down more often what's other people's experience? Also it's been said in earlier posts to avoid shaving yourself, but in this situation, really? As I said, my artist is already going to be hovering over my butt, the least I can do is shave the back of my legs, no? Any other advice? Any and all are welcome. Thanks in advance.

You could get one of those g-strings with the elephant on the front. That would be cool.

And I dont know about you but I dont know that I could shave the necessary areas without causing great bodily harm. Both knick and cuts and pulled muscles.

Ahhh, I should really learn from Hogg, otherwise I wouldn't have my own question about stripping down for a backpiece. I just started adding the background to my backpiece. The 1st session, we outlined my upper back and sides. But my next 2 sessions will be to outline my waist to the back of knees, so I'm going to have to get nekkid. Taking a bath, obviously avoiding food that will give me the backside burps, and tipping double aside (cuz really, who wants to stare at bloody swollen ass for hours?), what do Artists prefer their clients do? Do you just expect your clients to strip down, cup 'em and cough? Or should I go about looking for a fundoshi (sp?)? I only had to strip down completely once for outlining when I got the main subject done, but now that I'll have to strip down more often what's other people's experience? Also it's been said in earlier posts to avoid shaving yourself, but in this situation, really? As I said, my artist is already going to be hovering over my butt, the least I can do is shave the back of my legs, no? Any other advice? Any and all are welcome. Thanks in advance.

In all seriousness, what I did was bring a bathrobe to State of Grace and change into it in the bathroom. But I put it on backwards and tied it so that Jill could just untie it when she was ready to work.

Be sure to ask her how Bill and Junii handle the upper thigh portion of backpieces. :)

I resent that our culture in the U.S. has gotten to the point where a tip is expected for every service, and that the "customary amount" keeps going up. My rule in restaurants was always 15% for average service, 10% for passable service, and 20% for good service. Now 20% is expected for crappy service, which seems skewed in the wrong direction.

Ever been a waiter? You should resent that establishments pay waiters and bartenders next to nothing, instead of being a stickler on an extra few bucks. The serving jobs I had, each place paid about $3 an hour, so we'd make anywhere from $6 a day if we got cut early or about $24 for a full day's work. This is why so many waiters work doubles. And why so many get to be miserable by 10 or 11 at night.

As for bartenders, most make a "shift pay" that averages about $20. That's $20 per shift. That's it. If it's slow, and no one comes in, they don't make anything else.

This doesn't excuse a waiter or bartender being a prick, but the "customary amount" has probably gone up just to keep up with the cost of living.

I'm sure yours is a familiar face Hogg but if anyone else pulls that bathrobe stunt the shop folks are going to think "this dude has jumped the fence of the local looney bin " visions of one flew over the cookoos nest .

Did I mention that the robe in question was fairly Lebowski-esque?

And anyone that decides to tattoo his or her entire ass is already looney bin material. :)

Skirts, kilts, robes, loin cloths, gotcha! Ha ha, perhaps I can ask a nurse friend of mine to grab me one of those patient gowns that tie down the back :p

Thanks all, It does make sense to call the actual shop to make sure what they prefer but they've been busy with the SF Convention coming up so thought I'd do some homework on the side.

In all seriousness, what I did was bring a bathrobe to State of Grace and change into it in the bathroom. But I put it on backwards and tied it so that Jill could just untie it when she was ready to work.

Be sure to ask her how Bill and Junii handle the upper thigh portion of backpieces. :)

Bill and Junii huh? Is her backpiece by one of them? Is this the reason why she hasn't finished hers? Ha ha.

Did I mention that the robe in question was fairly Lebowski-esque?

And anyone that decides to tattoo his or her entire ass is already looney bin material. :)

Looney bin material? What are you saying? You mean it's not going to make me more appealing to SF FiDi women in power suits? C'mon I'm their dream date. The whole money and claws bit. Ha ha ;)

Ever been a waiter? You should resent that establishments pay waiters and bartenders next to nothing, instead of being a stickler on an extra few bucks. The serving jobs I had, each place paid about $3 an hour, so we'd make anywhere from $6 a day if we got cut early or about $24 for a full day's work. This is why so many waiters work doubles. And why so many get to be miserable by 10 or 11 at night.

As for bartenders, most make a "shift pay" that averages about $20. That's $20 per shift. That's it. If it's slow, and no one comes in, they don't make anything else.

This doesn't excuse a waiter or bartender being a prick, but the "customary amount" has probably gone up just to keep up with the cost of living.

I've been both a waiter and a bartender. I should have added that I also feel the establishments should pay their wati/bar staff a reasonable amount.

Bill and Junii huh? Is her backpiece by one of them? Is this the reason why she hasn't finished hers? Ha ha.

No, no.... When I was getting my back done by Jill, my wife was also getting a fairly large piece from Junii, so every time we'd go by Diamond Club, they'd ask to see the progress on my back. They kept laughing and saying, "Wait until she does just below your cheeks!" Then they told me that they stretch that area the Horitoshi way--with the client on his or her back, holding their leg behind the knee to stretch it.

Take a moment to picture that, then be grateful that you get to lie on your stomach.

You must all live like kings!

Australian houses among world's most expensive - ABC News (Australian Broadcasting Corporation)

It kinda balances out. I see how cheap food/clothing/housing/cars/everything is in the US... it almost makes moving there attractive! Almost ;)

Oh, and my earlier dilemma is solved. Totes baking delicious vegan cookies to take to my next appointment :D

@gougetheeyes - dude. that's shit!! How people are supposed to live in the U.S is beyond me?

Come to Australia - $15-$20/hr + tips + overtime, and since you could manage a bar make that $25 + an hour ;) gravy.

Best Australian accent -"your kiddin aren't ya !!Don't piss in me pocket and tell me its raining ,fair dinkum Duffa ?"

@gougetheeyes unfortunately as @ThaliaCamille said it all kind of evens out. Our housing market is one of the most over inflated in the world, plus food is actually pretty expensive compared to say Japan and from what I've heard, The States as two examples. But working conditions are pretty decent and minimum wage is something like $14/$15 for services? but all depends on industry etc. Some industry minimums can be more - mining for example.

@kylegrey (in my normal accent, although possibly strained to emphasise that Australianism) "Nah mate, shes fair dinkum, I wouldn't piss in ya pocket or have a lend of ya, thats as mean as cats piss mate!" ;) actually, it'd be more like this - "nahmateshesfairdinkumIwouldntpissinyapocketorhavealendofyathatdbemeansascatspiss!"

15n67o6.png

Hey @hogg what you where saying about how Bill & Junii stretch 'that area' the Horitoshi way, is there any specific reason for that? (other than thats the way they know)

To clarify: I'm in no way wanting to know about specific techniques, however, if this is somehow going to mean less pain when i get down to my butt because of said technique, all I'm going to say is - I hope I can get a good relationship going with the tattooer before hand cause if not, we're going to be reeeeeal close afterwards and one of us will have seen the other from a whole new perspective ;) lol

• 1 month later...

I have a consultation etiquette question if anyone can help me out...

Recently, I was lucky enough to get consultations with two well known tattoo artists here in NYC-both do great Japanese work. One of the artists is Japanese and does tebori. Anyway, when exchanging emails they both asked me to come in for a consult. My intention at the consultations was to inquire about rates and scheduling and ideas and see if I vibed with them. This would be my first tattoo-a 3/4 Japanese sleeve. I thought I was being clear that I just wanted general info - BUT both artists took outlines of my arm and were ready to book an appointment for the outline! I did not leave any money. I know I want work from one of these artist (you can't go wrong with either one). When I decide, should I let the other artist know that I won't be going with them??? They both seem like genuine nice guys and that was really important to me, cause I've met a couple of snobbish ones when doing my research. I don't want to offend or piss off either one, esp if I want to get work from them in the future.

@goldocat If I'm at the point of booking a consultation I've already done my research and made my mind up about the tattooer. As I understand a consultation is to discuss and finalise what you are getting and when. For me what rate the tattooer is charging is not an issue as my decision will be based on the type and quality of his/her work not price. As for bonding with the tattooer it's nice if I do but it's not a deal breaker. I'm getting a tattoo, not going on a date. But hey, that's me.