@goldocat If I'm at the point of booking a consultation I've already done my research and made my mind up about the tattooer. As I understand a consultation is to discuss and finalise what you are getting and when. For me what rate the tattooer is charging is not an issue as my decision will be based on the type and quality of his/her work not price. As for bonding with the tattooer it's nice if I do but it's not a deal breaker. I'm getting a tattoo, not going on a date. But hey, that's me.

Yes, you're right. In all the research I've done I didn't realize that a consultation is more or less a finalization. What I really don't want is for these guys to draw something and then I go "sorry, I'm not using you." But the artist doesn't draw anything until you leave a deposit, right? From all the interviews I've seen and read on these guys I knew they were not snobs, so I should have gone with the first person who contacted me. I feel like such a douche and feel a little stressed about this. BTW, the artists are Shinji & Chris O Donnell. I know, I know -- you can't go wrong with either one. I don't want to offend either one.

I would have mentioned before that i was having a consult with a few different artists,and i was going to make a decision afterward.I believe they both charge around the same per hour.The only thing i can think may be different is that tebori work is probably more time consuming than machine work.

Thank you to all that have responded!

I would love to get a piece from each one, but only have enough for one right now. I thought Shinji did both machine and tebori. It was only at the consultation that I learned he does the outline by machine and shading by tebori - which would probably double what I have saved. He gave me a rough estimate of completeing the sleeve in 8 or 9 months. I told both Chris & Shinji that I wanted to start in early 2012. I also told Chris yesterday that I had spoken to Shinji but again, I wasn't clear about being undecided. Both Chris and Shinji are quiet and laid back - as am I. With Shinji there is a slight language barrier.

Cool Shinji story...

So, in late August I went to NYAdorned to inquire about Shinji's availability. The guy told me to put my name on a wait list of about 30 people deep. About a month later I saw Shinji on the subway. I walked up to him and introduced myself. I told him that I put my name on his wait list and was hoping to get work from him one day. He asked me what I wanted and I told him. He was very pleasant and friendly. He liked what I wanted and told me that he would put me at the top the list. A couple of days later I got a call from NYAdorned saying Shinji would like to book a consultation if I was still interested. It's funny cause the first couple of times NYA called I couldn't answer the phone cause I was at work and my voice mail was not set up. NYA called me a third time and that's when I finally could answer. By this time I had already sent Chris an email inquiring about a consultation. He answered about a week ago. I have second guessed myself because of the cost of tebori. But it would be great to have one arm done by Shinji and one by Chris O' Donnell. Over the summer I also had consultations with Brad Fink and Regino Gonzales. They were also cool dudes. They all want to do do dragons. I only spoke with Brad and Regino -- neither one took outlines of my arm, that's why I was kinda surprised Shinji and Chris measured my arm.

Anyway, I think I'm gonna go with Shinji since he kept his word and called me. I'm going to email Chris and explain, apologize, and hope that he would be open to doing my other arm one day.

Thank you to all that have responded!

I would love to get a piece from each one, but only have enough for one right now. I thought Shinji did both machine and tebori. It was only at the consultation that I learned he does the outline by machine and shading by tebori - which would probably double what I have saved. He gave me a rough estimate of completeing the sleeve in 8 or 9 months. I told both Chris & Shinji that I wanted to start in early 2012. I also told Chris yesterday that I had spoken to Shinji but again, I wasn't clear about being undecided. Both Chris and Shinji are quiet and laid back - as am I. With Shinji there is a slight language barrier.

Cool Shinji story...

So, in late August I went to NYAdorned to inquire about Shinji's availability. The guy told me to put my name on a wait list of about 30 people deep. About a month later I saw Shinji on the subway. I walked up to him and introduced myself. I told him that I put my name on his wait list and was hoping to get work from him one day. He asked me what I wanted and I told him. He was very pleasant and friendly. He liked what I wanted and told me that he would put me at the top the list. A couple of days later I got a call from NYAdorned saying Shinji would like to book a consultation if I was still interested. It's funny cause the first couple of times NYA called I couldn't answer the phone cause I was at work and my voice mail was not set up. NYA called me a third time and that's when I finally could answer. By this time I had already sent Chris an email inquiring about a consultation. He answered about a week ago. I have second guessed myself because of the cost of tebori. But it would be great to have one arm done by Shinji and one by Chris O' Donnell. Over the summer I also had consultations with Brad Fink and Regino Gonzales. They were also cool dudes. They all want to do do dragons. I only spoke with Brad and Regino -- neither one took outlines of my arm, that's why I was kinda surprised Shinji and Chris measured my arm.

Anyway, I think I'm gonna go with Shinji since he kept his word and called me. I'm going to email Chris and explain, apologize, and hope that he would be open to doing my other arm one day.

The way I approach a consultation is only after I have decided. I know dealing with Regino that he does not really do anything until a week before you are going to get tattooed (personally I think this makes sense). The only reason I could see an artist making an outline of your arm is if they were going to tattoo you for sure. I have never seen or experienced having something drawn for me or anyone else unless a deposit was down and you were close to your time to get tattooed as well. Any time a person I have seen been tattooed has gotten the drawing done the day of that tattoo or maybe a day before.

Also both are amazing artists and do a great job so you can't go wrong with either.

@slayer9019 That makes total sense -- not to do anything until a week before and after money is dropped. I would imagine alot of these guys have people back out in the last minute and their time drawing was wasted. That would piss me off.

I spoke with Regino in July and it was the most efficient 5 minute talk. He liked my ideas and was excited about it. He told me his rate, that he usually works 2 hrs at a time, and when I was ready to talk to the front desk guy to leave a deposit and set a date.

@goldcat After telling your story you have to go with shinji. Too cool of a story and like I said let chris know he will probably remember you and want to do work since you were straight up. You live in NYC take advantage my friend

Yeah, I thought it was pretty awesome that he kept his word. When we both got out at the same subway stop he asked me my name and said, "your name is on top of the list" smiling. I stopped by Adorned and spoke with the duchebag hipster guy in the front almost a week ago. Shinji wasn't in, but I left my name and told him that I had a booked consult with Shinji 3 weeks earlier and wanted to set up the date for the outline. This front desk guy acted like I was bothering him so I don't know if he passed along the message. I told Shinji that I would let him know about doing the outline in December, cause he was going away in January. My only hesitation, is that I didn't realize he does the outline with machine and shading tebori. I don't have money saved for that long of a commitment but I could probably swing it and come in when I can. Shinji gave me a rough estimate of completing in 8 or 9 months.

• 6 months later...

I bake, so my guy always gets homemade goodies. I also try to make enough for the entire shop (somethings he just refuses to share, so I make seperate plates). They get to be my taste testers and I have a grateful artist. ;-) We were friends before he ever started working on me, so that's always nice.

Aside from that, I always make sure I'm well rested, in a good mood, well-hydrated, freshly showered (you're gonna have someone all up on ya for a good length of time, it's only polite.), no perfume and ready to sit! I show up on time (even a few minutes early so I can get situated), say hi to everyone who works in the shop, not just my guy. We have a great time and joke around, makes the time pass. It's a good shop with a fun bunch of people ---why fuck that up by acting like and ass? Be nice to the people who are tattooing you...they are doing something amazing for and to you.

Yeah, I thought it was pretty awesome that he kept his word. When we both got out at the same subway stop he asked me my name and said, "your name is on top of the list" smiling. I stopped by Adorned and spoke with the duchebag hipster guy in the front almost a week ago. Shinji wasn't in, but I left my name and told him that I had a booked consult with Shinji 3 weeks earlier and wanted to set up the date for the outline. This front desk guy acted like I was bothering him so I don't know if he passed along the message. I told Shinji that I would let him know about doing the outline in December, cause he was going away in January. My only hesitation, is that I didn't realize he does the outline with machine and shading tebori. I don't have money saved for that long of a commitment but I could probably swing it and come in when I can. Shinji gave me a rough estimate of completing in 8 or 9 months.

Sell everything!

I stopped by Adorned and spoke with the duchebag hipster guy in the front almost a week ago.

i've had comments like this get back to me concerning the desk guys at my shop and they only make me wonder about the customer. i highly respect our staff at frith st and like them very much as friends, they are trustworthy and take care of me and my appts and if they were useless, they wouldnt be employed for sure. I could easily say this applies to most good tattoo shops. i'm not sure how well your encounter went, just saying be careful what you call people online, it can come across much more harshly :)

good luck with your tattoo :)

Think of what the poor guy-or girl-at the front desk has to deal with, each and every day!

The artists get, usually, a good amount of respect, but the guy at the front desk? That geek that hassles you for money, and makes you fill out forms n shit? Fuck him, right?!

I've never had a bad experience with a front-end type. Even tho' I limit my actual tattooing to Chicago Tattooing Co., I visit parlors wherever I travel, and I travel a lot. What I have found is that when I go in, as long as I am up-front about not being there to be tattooed, but just checking it out, I am treated pretty well. Most often, I end up talking with whoever the artist running the shop is and so forth.

I guess it's the same old same old, you get the respect you give.

• 2 weeks later...
i've had comments like this get back to me concerning the desk guys at my shop and they only make me wonder about the customer. i highly respect our staff at frith st and like them very much as friends, they are trustworthy and take care of me and my appts and if they were useless, they wouldnt be employed for sure. I could easily say this applies to most good tattoo shops. i'm not sure how well your encounter went, just saying be careful what you call people online, it can come across much more harshly :)

good luck with your tattoo :)

You're absolutely right. I used to work in customer service at a front desk a couple of years back and I know it can be very rough and that's why I usually approach people in the friendliest way possible. But sometimes I forget. And on that day the place was totally packed so I should have given him some slack. Anyway, I don't want to offend anyone and will definitely think about what I post online next time. Thank you for pointing that out.

• 6 months later...
tips are good as a show of gratitude. i think refusing them is a bit strange. each to their own though. i tip my tattooer(s) with cash.
I could never imagine accepting a cash 'tip' for the job that I do, though I have accepted modest gifts. I respect the setting of a payment amount based on the ability and skill of the person. If they deserve more than that, they should charge more. I'm solidly with Steve Buscemi on the subject of tipping.

Based on both of these responses being from the UK, what should I be planning to do for my next tattoo, which I plan to have done in Scotland in May? Just looking to be prepared budget-wise. I'm typically a fan of the James Altucher school of tipping (30% - though I don't use $2 bills). If I'm going to be offending anyone I'll tip less or something.

I ALWAYS try to kick down a decent chunk to my tattooer. He deals with my special requests, does killer work, and I rarely have to wait to get it done. I'm afraid I usually end-up more in the "flat-rate" tip zone, but it's enough to make everyone happy. I don't look so much at the price of the work, rather, on the quality and the experience of it.

I didnt tip on my first tattoo and felt like an ass. So ever since, when I go with other people or I go myself, I do the math and tip accordingly... seriously throwing in an extra few bills wont hurt, though you think you paid them for the tattoo, always nice to tip.

Btw, not one or five dollar bills lmao

Ya kno, tipping just wasn't on the table when I first started getting tattooed. Prices were marked on all the flash, and that was that. When I went back, many years later, to start getting new work, there were signs about tipping, and I'm like, hmm. Well, it makes sense. You are quoted a price, but if the tattooer goes above and beyond to make things good for you, shit, like anyone else, a little extra never hurt.

Yeah my tattoer is a stellar guy and always goes the extra mile. I went in one day to set something up and he was doing an add on/ cover up on a guy who wanted a bunch of clouds bcz that's all he had $ for. He would NOT do that and added more without extra charge just to make the guy's arm turn out good.

- - - Updated - - -

ETA: I often add tip on credit card but I know that they take the amount out of the till and give it to my artist in cash. So no service charge on it. I did tip in cash once when I had the cash and wanted to tip over the allowed amount. You definitely give extra love when you appreciate your artist (not that that is why you should do it)

I wasn't aware of tipping the artist years ago. Since 2005 I've caught on and always give them something at the end of the session, or at the end of a multi-session tattoo.

I stopped by the shop last night, gave each artist a bag of dried cayenne peppers that I grew last summer. All summer I stop by with fresh ones for them.

Rob