No numbers, but I'll just say I've been tipping pretty big lately because I feel that my artist is next-level and is such a perfectionist and I am just very grateful for the time he puts in and how cool my arm is. I also think his rate is very reasonable for what I am getting-a major work of art! Think I'll bring homemade cookies next time for everybody at the shop, too. They deserve it.

No numbers, but I'll just say I've been tipping pretty big lately because I feel that my artist is next-level and is such a perfectionist and I am just very grateful for the time he puts in and how cool my arm is. I also think his rate is very reasonable for what I am getting-a major work of art! Think I'll bring homemade cookies next time for everybody at the shop, too. They deserve it.

Along with good tips, shops love candy and cookies. I brought in a bag of those Asian candies wrapped in the edible paper once and watched them disappear in minutes.

In addition to occasionally bringing in donuts for the shop, I sometimes bring gifts (like stuff that is OTC in Canada but prescription in the US).

Also, I get the friends and family discount (never asked for it, but it was always given to me), so I always tip the equivalent of one extra hour.

I read through quite a bit of this thread. I'll just respond to how I have behaved my 3 times in the chair, to which I believe I exhibited good client behavior.

In all my three sessions, I 100% concentrated and always gave my canvas (arm) exactly as the artist wanted it. I kept it loose, and when the pain was real bad, every other part of my body contorted and tensed up to absorb pain, except for my working arm. I didn't break the position until he told me too. I didn't want to break his concentration because of my movement.

I've tipped well each time. Gunnar got extras on top of cash.

I adjusted my conversation to let the artist control it, kind of like speak when spoken to. I felt going in that some artists may like to talk while doing their work, and others don't. Again, I just wanted to make sure the artist was in his zone, not mine. In all instances, the atmosphere was relaxed and conversation flowed freely, and in heavy concentration all was quiet.

I came in to each of my tattoo sessions with the knowledge that they were transactions with multiple levels. For one it was business - a service with a fee. It's also art - me being the canvas for the artist. It's also a connection - although I'm a client, I also felt like a friend because I was having this artist (person) permanently putting their mark/art on me. I am to carry somebody's art on me for life, so I wanted the artist to feel how important the whole process was for me.

Along with good tips, shops love candy and cookies. I brought in a bag of those Asian candies wrapped in the edible paper once and watched them disappear in minutes.

I need to stop getting tattooed in Brooklyn where you have no idea what vegan/gluten-free/paleo/whatever dietary preferences are in the shop.

I don't speak unless spoken to during linework. shading/color is a different story... I always tip, atleast 30.00. As for me tattooing, I just like when people are nice and in good spirits. Like Julio stated, leave the tough guy attitude at home... We aren't fearful or impressed...

• 3 weeks later...

I had no idea about tipping when I had my work done and now I feel really bad about it so I think I'll send the tattooer a gift as a thank you. It's terrible but tipping is something that doesn't enter my mind really coming from the UK but I had it done in the US and just feel a bit thoughtless about not thinking of it over there.

EDIT: Also quick question to tattooers, what's your opinions on bringing a friend for moral support? I've usually been the hand holder for my friends and I always try and be as invisible to the tattooer as possible, unless they engage me in conversation.

I had no idea about tipping when I had my work done and now I feel really bad about it so I think I'll send the tattooer a gift as a thank you. It's terrible but tipping is something that doesn't enter my mind really coming from the UK but I had it done in the US and just feel a bit thoughtless about not thinking of it over there.

EDIT: Also quick question to tattooers, what's your opinions on bringing a friend for moral support? I've usually been the hand holder for my friends and I always try and be as invisible to the tattooer as possible, unless they engage me in conversation.

Best to ask them beforehand. I know some shops are cool with it while others are not. My buddy and I sometime stop in since we are always getting tattooed by the same time (consistently for the last 2 years) by the same guy. Nobody seems to mind us at all as long as you're out of the way, plus I guess it helps that we are constant customers.

• 2 months later...

There's loads of posts in this thread about "tough guy attitude"... Do people really go in like this? I go in exactly the way I am - a massive pussy! ha! I know it might hurt, although not to what degree (after all, I probably won't have been tattooed in the same spot before), so I couldn't possibly go in with attitude or I would feel like a complete nob when I started crying after ten minutes....

I shave (or at least buzz down) the area to be tattooed. My tattooers seem to appreciate it. I didn't have time once before a belly session. My homeboy just shrugged his shoulders and handed me the razor and he manned the spray lol. We had a good laugh.

Suggestion: if you are getting the area between your belly button and diack worked on, tame your pubes and wear clean underwear.

I can't make any new threads in the section yet as i figured it would be good to make one about tipping/gifts to artists. although im sure any questions around that would fall nicely into this thread. anyways.....

I have an appointment with an artist next saturday and we're working on a large piece. last session he mentioned something about "the Dillinger Escape Plan" so we got onto the subject of the band and which material we liked the most. turns out we both agree Calculating infinity and the "under the running board" EP were our favorites and best in our opinion. It so happens i have copies of both of those records on vinyl and i was thinking of giving him a copy or two as a gift for being an awesome dude. what are your thoughts on gifts and whatnot?

@TheLance: This thread has a good amount of info about tipping or gifts for artists! Try the 'search thread' on the light gray bar under the thread title to find tipping specific posts.

Heed this post:

Tipping (money or gifts) is a great idea though we try not to talk specifics on this site.

Many tattooers have asked us not to talk numbers and we hold that line..sorry can't be of more specific help.

Sounds like the record is a really thoughtful gift!