Oh really? I've only ever had earlier appointments (like noon or so) with the exception of after hours work when I worked at a shop.

Yeah, when I got tattooed by Scott we finished around 11:30pm and most of my appointments seem to trickle into the after hours for some reason. I remember that one so vividly because the lower half of Manhattan's trains to Jersey were still on a shortened schedule from Hurricane Sandy and I had to stand in the December cold on Bowery waiting for a ride for like ever... Now I try to book guest spots earlier because they always seem to get pushed back.

Thankfully, all of my appts this year start at noon on Saturdays. It will be a refreshing change.

I think tipping feels less awkward in the likes of the U.S, where there's a more pervasive tipping culture. In Ireland I know some people who tip their tattoo artist, but we're not really a tipping culture. I'd curious to know whether tipping artists is expected/the norm in the U.K.

Last week I gave Ching a bottle of 12 year old Irish whiskey instead of a tip - he seemed pleased... I know possibly some artists would just prefer the money, but thought I would chance it.

i know it isn't in Belgium either.

• 1 year later...

The hours thing is interesting... I got a walk in once like at closing time, kinda made me feel like an asshole, but it was a good time and a pretty small tattoo. I figure if he would've rather gone home he would've said so... I know that's rude to do at a restaurant but it's not like I'm keeping the whole crew there late at a shop right?

There's more ways to tip than with money! If you're just in a business transaction then sure throw some %%s on that but I like the idea of gifts way more than tips. They always seem more appreciated than tips too.

Fuck a tough guy attitude just sit well. silence speaks volumes

shouts to @Dan S for validating my shop visits when I'm too broke to get tattooed... Was worried I was annoying them but that's ridiculous... I'd generally like to think if I was doing something wrong a tattooer wouldn't be afraid to tell me