Portland: Cross-Country Endeavors

CultExciter

I've been an East Coast resident my whole life. I've lived in Philadelphia, DC, Richmond, and have been settled in the Shenandoah Valley in Virginia for a while. I recently decided that I need to change. My creative endeavors have become stagnant and I think it's time to push myself a bit further.

I've decided to move to Portland. Most likely in March or April of 2013. I need to finish my leg from Chris O'Donnell, but after that I really don't have anything tying me down too much. Of course my family is here, but a credit card and a plane ticket can fix that.

Any advice? I'm a graphic designer and budding web-developer. I've also spent time doing copy-writing. But I'm still a 30 year old guy who has no idea what he really wants to do with his life.

I have been there a few times, and like you I am a Northeast corridor kid born and raised. I always enjoyed myself out there, it is a really young city it seems, which has its pros and cons. I am sure some of the people on here have great insight into the area, but I would just commend you in the gumption to go for it. There might be something that clicks as soon as you get there, or it might be just another step in the right direction. You would never know if you didn't make the trip, and shit you might find a place that seems perfect before you even get all the way to the other side of the country, good luck regardless on your endeavors.

I say jump and enjoy the ride. If anything can shake you out of stagnation, its challenging yourself with new experiences. I absolutely love living in Portland. Its not for everyone. Just know that readjusting to a new living enviroment takes a bit of effort as you may know already. Finding new habits, which grocery store to hit on the way home, coffee shop to enjoy some catch up writing, restaurants to haunt, etc. Remember to get out to our countryside to recharge. Good luck on your new adventure. Cheers, M