Art tattoo show montreal 2012

Is anyone else planning on heading to the 2012 Art Tattoo Show Montreal from Friday, September 7th - Sunday, September 9th?

It's going to be my first convention ever and I'm super excited for it because I just confirmed an appointment with Mike Rubendall and I'll also hopefully be getting tattooed by Chad Koeplinger as well (as per his policy, I sent him a PayPal deposit and answered all of his questions listed in his auto-reply so I'm just waiting to hear back from him a week or so before the convention to confirm it all 100%).

Do any of you guys have any appointments lined up?

My partner and I will be there! He got tattooed at last year's one, which was the first I'd been to. I just this week set up an appointment for myself. He's still figuring out if he's going to try and get in with anyone, but he is definitely psyched for the Chuck Eldridge seminar at the very least. We'll be there for sure on the Saturday, as that's when both of our things are so far.

You got in with some awesome folks, Rozone! Lucky dude. Watching Koeplinger work at last year's convention is what really turned me on to him, as it is pretty mind-blowing to see in person. And I also had a really nice chat with Rubendall while buying a print from him and was blown away by how damn nice and chatty he is.

I have never been to any other conventions, so I can't speak to them, but the Montreal one is fantastic. Really great tattooers, beautiful venue that keeps it from feeling too claustrophobic, and a very friendly, unpretentious crowd. We seriously can't wait!

(If there are a bunch of folks from here planning on going down, maybe we should grab a beer or something?)

Yeah. To say that I feel unbelievably fortunate would be an understatement.

I'm definitely really excited about the whole weekend and overall experience.

That's awesome that you had such a great time at it last year, @Pugilist.

I think it would be neat to potentially do an LST get-together if there's a big crew planning on heading down.

Either way, I think the convention is going to be a really good time.

Yup...wife and I go again for 3 days. Knee by Greg Christian, more back work from Chad K....my wife gets tattoos from both those guys as well. If im not dead maybe one more. Good times, good food good people. I love Mtl...its only 1.5 away and feels like going to Europe. and poutine rules and I must say the women have fine genetics.

So, am I correct in understanding that Koeplinger is going to be spending the entire convention tattooing LST posters and their significant others? Y'all have cornered the market on him! And @eisen777 - awesome on Mr. Christian. He is very much on my own list.

(Also, my respects to you guys who are cool with getting multiple tattoos in a weekend. I have never found tattoos to be very painful, but I do find they sap my energy, and I kind of can't imagine getting a lot of work in close succession like that--especially a back and then a kneecap! Wow.)

Finally, I told my partner the appointments you guys are lining up and it weakened his already weak resolve to try and not get tattooed at the convention, in order to save his money and energy for some big work he's starting in the next little while. Peer pressure!

• 3 weeks later...

That sucks! Have heard some horror stories about tattooers getting into Canada. Very disappointing that he won't be there.

On another note, was just coming to bump this to see if, indeed, folks might be up for getting a convention-related beer or something this weekend. Both @Graeme and I have Saturday appointments so we are sure we will be up for drinks that evening, if it would work/interest anybody else...

Just as a note, it's getting pretty damned painful for Ami's to get into Kanada at all. If you have a speeding ticket on your record, forget it. If you have anything more significant, forget it even faster!

Kanadian Customs and Immigration has a computer-ling into NCIC now, and they run all names comming through it. Last time Itried to go there, abotu ten years ago, they came up with a misdemeanor pop for THREE lousy joints in 1973, got a hundred dollar fine and two years probation. Turned me back at the border, then sent me a letter saying that for $5000 I could be "rehabilitated" and get into Kanada again. Passed on that.

Fuck 'em...they don't want my money, no skin off my nose.

They've also always been pretty tough about people coming in to work without having a work permit. You used to see this all the time with touring bands (you probably still do but I got old and I stay at home now): they'd be playing tiny shows for gas money but Customs wanted them to have work permits that cost thousands of dollars. I would guess that tattooers run into the same kinds of problems at the border.

It's a shame to not get to see Chad Koeplinger work. I was looking forward to that.