Lady Heads

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

These are all beautiful! I really love the way one of my friends, Ian Parkin, does lady heads. I think right now this is my favourite. I posted this up on the Inkslingers blog the other week, but more has been added to this, which I saw the other day. I just haven't had the chance to put up the current picture yet. If you check out the blog here you'll see loads more, I even have one of my own from him. Anyway...

image10.png

I'm sure I'm repeating everything here but...

Lady heads are super hard to make nice and super easy to fuck up.

I don't have examples or links but some tattooers who I think do/did awesome lady heads (and add their own flavour) are, in no particular order:

Chris Conn

Valerie Vargas

Isaac Fainkujen

Bart Bingham

Theo Mindell

Jack Rudy

Sleepy G

Bob Wicks

Justin Weatherholtz seems to be great at everything.

Steve Boltz

Chad Koeplinger

Chris Garver

Tim Hendricks

There are plenty of tattooers who constantly do great tattoos but these spring to mind mostly because of their individual subtleties with lady heads.

I also didn't include realistic style girl heads 'cos that's slightly different.

The girls on most of the zeis flash have some great little nuances too.

The first Lina Stigson lady head is my wifes favourite.

She tried for a booking at this years London Tattoo convention, but unfortunately Lina was fully booked. :(

The first is easily one of my favorites also, I think its the eyes... although everything about it is perfect

Jade, me thinks you and the wifey may have to make a trip to The Dam! ;)

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the kind words, james.

I completely co sign the Lina Stigsson tattoos and paintings. I fucking love her work. Kills me.

I gotta say here, though. Not come off like an ass kisser at all, but I have always been partial to how Scott Sylvia does lady heads. So absolutely tattoo looking and completely un-pretentious, but still pretty and charming. I'm a big sucker for charm in a tattoo, especially when it's perfectly fitted with looking bad ass or tough. And that's a very hard thing to do. It's one of those things that only comes with years of experience, analysis, trial and error, study, and love for your craft. His painting in the Bella book kills most of the other fancier ones in there for me because of how sincere it comes across. Truly mature tattooing.

I gotta say here, though. Not come off like an ass kisser at all, but I have always been partial to how Scott Sylvia does lady heads. So absolutely tattoo looking and completely un-pretentious.

For Sure!

I would extend that to everything Scott does, some subjects he does are mind-blowing, some are awesome and the rest are always first-class.

Seeing his work healed, in the flesh is always a humbling experience.

I gotta say here, though. Not come off like an ass kisser at all, but I have always been partial to how Scott Sylvia does lady heads. So absolutely tattoo looking and completely un-pretentious, but still pretty and charming. I'm a big sucker for charm in a tattoo, especially when it's perfectly fitted with looking bad ass or tough. And that's a very hard thing to do. It's one of those things that only comes with years of experience, analysis, trial and error, study, and love for your craft. His painting in the Bella book kills most of the other fancier ones in there for me because of how sincere it comes across. Truly mature tattooing.

Without fail, the lady head in a rose Scott tattooed on me is the one that always gets the most, "Wait, lemme just.. see it one more time.."

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

There have been tons of tattooers that have inspired me over the years (girl heads) . I would have to say the two people that had the biggest impact were Eric Hogan and Scott Silvia. In the early 90's (pre-internet) I had to go and look at people portfolios.... Scott and Eric set the bar for me personally (Girl heads Pin-ups...everything really) . Plus it was a way more of a impact to actually go in to a shop and see what people were tattooing. Sorry kinda getting off subject

As far as Conn.. you really have to see his tattoos(Girl Heads) in person to really appreciate them. They look really nice in pictures but in person they are on a different level all together.