Lady Heads

thanks for any mentions by the way! i think its pretty obvious i adore chris conn's girls. the other day some guys came in from cali, they were working in london for a few days and one of them had a conn girl pirate on his forearm, it looked stunning of course! i think right now i'm really into chad koeplingers girls, he showed me some recent stuff he's been tattooing and there was a valkyrie that just blew me away. i have a tim hendricks chola on my arm and shes pretty badass, i like the particular look he goes for in girl faces. and of course jack rudy's too as someone else mentioned before

• 2 weeks later...

I just joined this site, I love lady heads and after browsing the member pictures I'd like to add Stefan Johnson's name to this conversation. I really love his style of girls and not even sure how it would be categorized (help?). I plan on getting a gypsy head in the near future but I prefer the more neo-trad, softer designs like this rather than the pure traditional styles which most artists seem to do. Here's a few examples of Stefan's style which I like and if anyone can suggest a traveling artist or one in the northeastern US who does similar work I'd greatly appreciate it. If I was closer to Stefan's shop in CA I'd be booking an appt. tomorrow. Thanks.

post-441-146168829009_thumb.jpg

I just joined this site, I love lady heads and after browsing the member pictures I'd like to add Stefan Johnson's name to this conversation. I really love his style of girls and not even sure how it would be categorized (help?). I plan on getting a gypsy head in the near future but I prefer the more neo-trad, softer designs like this rather than the pure traditional styles which most artists seem to do. Here's a few examples of Stefan's style which I like and if anyone can suggest a traveling artist or one in the northeastern US who does similar work I'd greatly appreciate it. If I was closer to Stefan's shop in CA I'd be booking an appt. tomorrow. Thanks.

[ATTACH]2192[/ATTACH] [ATTACH]2193[/ATTACH] [ATTACH]2194[/ATTACH]

From the pics you posted, I REALLY like his style.

I have been looking at lots of Lady Heads tattoos, flash, and pictures lately as it seems to be one of those tattoos so many tattooers try and execute but they seem to be having a hard time. Remember I am a collector not a tattooer so my observation is what it is, so would enjoy hearing some tattooers opinions on this. The one thing that I see over and over again that hurts my eyes and in my opinion breaks the tattoo is the lack of depth when it comes to the chin neck area. I don't know how to describe this but will attempt.....the necks are too big or too small in ratio to the face, the angles are not right, the shading seems off. Thoughts?

5224149886_e2cfcd7407.jpg

who did this? looks great.

my fortune teller girl head from Chad Koeplinger, looks not quite right as i had to kind of bend my arm a bit whilst taking the picture.. would also be contributing to the panther head and rose threads with said tattoos from Chad, but they're not yet finished.

I know some LSTers went to Chris Conn's first one at Horitaka's State of Grace Tattoo Convention and just saw he's doing another one and felt it was appropriate for this thread sine his name keeps coming up.

Detroit Tattoo Arts Seminar

I am very pleased to formally announce that I am holding a second seminar on the design and rendering of the female face and form for tattooists.

This seminar will be a limited-enrollment event, held at the Seventeenth Annual Motor City Tattoo Expo 2011. The convention will take place at the Detroit Marriot/Renaissance Center. This class will be Friday, the 25th of February, from 7:30pm to 10:30pm.

The class will consist of a verbal presentation/lecture, live sketching, a slideshow, and a question and answer session. Each attendee will also receive a limited-edition instructional sketchbook, signed and numbered, exclusive to this convention.

The topics covered will include:

• Dynamic/emblematic figure arrangement and posing

• Achieving mood and drama with facial and physical expression

• Specific body parts and proportions (eyes, hands, breasts, legs, etc.)

• Facial angles and proportions

• Full-body angles and proportions

• Use of models and reference material

• Short-cuts, cheating, and ‘frankensteining’

• Use of symmetry, asymmetry, and ‘para-symmetry’

• Rendering hair and coiffure

• Costume, drapery, and ornament

• Use of shading and skintone

• Effect of scale on rendering

• Evolving your own personal style

• Interaction of foreground image with background or ‘garnishing’

• Concealing and constructively using mistakes and errors

• Keeping the balance between detail and clarity

• Ensuring a sense of life and spirit in the design

I will endeavor to provide as much useful information as possible from my sixteen years behind the needle that would be helpful both to novice and experienced tattooists, and will answer as many questions as time allows.

Enrollment begins right now!

There is limited seating available, and enrollment will be handled on a first-come, first serve basis. The cost is $200 per person. No drop-ins will be accepted. To reserve a seat at this event, there are two options:

• Paypal $200 US to nolovelost007@hotmail.com. Please make sure to include your contact information, and let me know if you prefer the Saturday or the Sunday session. Your Paypal payment confirmation will be your receipt and ticket to the event, so please save and print it to bring with you.

• Send a money order for $200 US, made out to Christopher Askew, to the following address:

Sekretcity International

360 Castro St. #6

San Francisco, CA

USA

Please make sure to include your contact information.

If you use this method, I cannot hold your enrollment until I

receive the check. Upon receipt, I will send an email

confirmation that will serve as your receipt and ticket to the event,

so please save and print it to bring with you.

if you have any questions, please email me at: sekretcity@hotmail.com

I am really looking forward to meeting all of you and chatting about one of my favorite subjects! Thank you.

Cheers!

cc

This was found on Chris Conn's blog under the November Twenty-Third post.

[ATTACH]2192[/ATTACH] [ATTACH]2193[/ATTACH] [ATTACH]2194[/ATTACH]

Man these are excellent, love the colour.

I'm a big fan of Valerie Vargas's work, again throwing Tim Hendricks name down, and i had the pleasure of seeing a lady head on a fore arm up close by José Lopez shortly after he finished it, i was blown away, super work.